Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2017, 08:58 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2005 Vectra 40 AD

My Vectra soft ceiling is starting to sag in several places (Texas heat). I am planning to continue the wood ceiling panels that are in the kitchen throguhout the lounge area all the way to the fornt. Does anyone know where I can get the matching wood paneling?
binkley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

My only suggestion is to download the entire parts listing for your coach from the winnebago website and locate the vendor number for that paneling. Then phone Winnebago and ask for that vendors company information.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I'm curious about your wood ceiling panels. I ha a 2005 Vectra but we have the sofa ceiling throughout the coach and yes it is starting to sag. Could you send a pic of your kitchen ceiling and am interested in what you learn from Winnebago. Ok To PM if you prefer
Old 05-22-2017, 07:39 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

looking through the original sales brochure it doesnt appear this is original. I will post a few pictures. My wfe knows the orginal owner, I will inquire whether the orginal owner had this done, as it looks completely orginal. It seems that when the rig flexes the cabinets over the driver and passenger seats pulls the soft liner loose in the corners. I like the wood paneling and intend to carry it all the way to the front. The only other place I have sagging issues is in the shower and the closets at the back. This is driving me crazy, so I have to find a solution. More to come.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:42 PM   #5
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Sagging ceiling

Unfortunately it's only a matter of time until the whole ceiling sags. Don't expect assistance from Winnebago on the fix they will tell you they have only heard of an occasional problem. They can fix the problem by replacing each panel for $1500.00 a panel they will not repair the panels. Also this does wonders for resale value.!
Old 05-23-2017, 04:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have a friend with an 04 who had the panels replaced/repaired at Appalachee RV outside Georgia for a lot less. Looks like new. I like the idea of the paneling.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

So we found out the paneling over the kitchen area was done by Texas Custom Coach in Bandera Texas, by the previous owner, due to sagging. According to them this was very expensive, but it looks like it was form the factory. I found a local cabinet shop who can match the paneling, which also matches our cabinetry, and will install it. On my Vectra, the paneling needs to go under the front cabinets above drive and passenger, as when the rig flexes the cabinets pull on the headliner and that is the source of the saggin, in my application. Not sure yet how much they will charge me, but will post pictures after it is done. IMHO, this is absloutely necessary. If i just replace the soft ceiling, I will be right back here in a few years of Texas heat. Sorry I havent posted pics of the current paneling, been busy getting ready for a trip.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:08 AM   #8

My 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD headliner is sagging. If anyone can posts some pictures of their better than new fix, that would be fantastic.

I'm at a loss as to what I can do. Are you saying you can remove those 4x8 sheets of vinyl-foam-plywood and put in something else? Or are you leaving the original vinyl and putting wood paneling over it?

The shop name and phone number and cost information will also come in handy! Thanks!
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:49 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Sorry for the delay. So the cabinet shop is going to remove the soft panels and replace them with the veneer panels that match my cabinets. They will anchor to the same strips as the soft panels, then they are milling trim to match the paneling to cover the seams. My kitchen a was already done this way by previous owner at a huge expense. Cabinet shop is charging me around $100- to go the rest of the way to the front. The ceilings in my bedroom are fine right now, so i am not doing those. Where the ceiling comes in contact with the cabinets above the driver and passenger they have decided the best route is to stop 1/8" - 3/16" short of the cabinets, then attach trim to the cabinets to cover the gap. This will allow the rig to flex on uneven surfaces without scarring up the paneling. I'm very pleased with their plan. I am using Gonzales Custom Cabinets in Canyon Lake, Texas, but I'm sure any good cabinet shop could do the same thing, at a fraction of the cost of what a custom coach shop would charge. I plan to leave the rig with them over the off season to have this done, and will post pictures once complete.
The paneling already int he kitchen looks factory installed and extends above the slide. It does not detract form the appearance of the interior, not does it make it feel dark inside. It is actually very warm and cabin like.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:58 AM   #10

I look forward to seeing pictures.

Just to be clear, when you talk about "paneling" on the ceiling, are you talking about a panel 1/8"x4'x8' sheet stained to match the cabinets?

...Or are you talking about pulling the existing vinyl down, cleaning up the 1/16" Luan Panel and re-gluing new vinyl w/ foam backing to the Luan?

Also, do you plan on "releasing" the passenger slide so you can get to the hidden portions of the ceiling; or are you going to remove the 5-6" cabinet trim so you can reach over the cabinets? (In particular the TV and the refrigerator spaces take up the most ceiling area.)

This project is something I need to do and Winnebago is not stocking any parts. So I am very interested in options that look good and do not cost a ton.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:18 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Quick fix. Works.

We did this. Nothing fancy. Not falling down anymore. Works for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ceiling.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	386.8 KB
ID:	169070  
Old 10-08-2017, 02:30 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Add me to the list of people patiently waiting for picture of the repaired ceiling.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:50 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2006 Horizon and ceiling was sagging in bedroom and living area had a carpenter install painted Luan panels. I paid him $2000 and think it was a steal it looks great if you want his name and phone number send me a message he is located in S Ga, he was able to install this in 1 day after I picked pain color and he painted the panels and flat strips to cover staples
rogerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:28 AM   #14

Yes. Please provide the contact information for the tech or company who helped you remove the old Luan 4x8 sheet of plywood and install new (painted you say) panels.

Questions:

Can you post some pictures?

Did the tech have to remove the passenger slide-out? ...Or did they remove the upper 5-6" of molding so he could access the roof area.

Comments:
I still need to have three 4x8 sheet of soft-vinyl on plywood (Luan) replaced and I have had 4 highly rated RV shops look at it... and I can tell that none of them really wanted to do it. That feeling was underscored by none of them getting back to me with a quotation. And all if them talked about needing to remove the slide-out, but thought they could make the repairs by just removing about 10' of molding that runs from the TV back to the refrigerator in my 2004, 40' Itasca 40AD.

My coach is in storage in Texas and I would be willing to take a roadtrip to Georgia. I also would ask this person to put in a new floor in the front half of the RV. (Leaving the tile and carpet in the bedroom.)

Side question RE floor tiles: Has anyone removed just the tiles behind the table post so the tiles run straight across? This will allow for an easier installation of Allure vinyl plank flooring to run all the way forward... after you pull up the small patch of tile between the cockpit chairs. And I think the coach will look more modern with the carpet pulled up around the steps.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:42 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

It really boils down to cut out the old vinyl, clean all the remaining foam off and gluing up new vinyl. Its a real pain for sure but doable with two people. Since the original ceiling appears to be put up before the walls you will need to trim out your new ceiling with molding.
SGKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:11 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

i meant to include the link
hereHeadliner Project
it has some pictures and better discription
Old 01-02-2018, 07:49 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

we didn't remove anything put new Luan panel over the top of everything. The guy panted the new panels and came to our campground and cut out holes and installed them using staples along sides where strips are and around the holes and covered the staples and gaps with thin strip of wood. he painted the panels and strips with color I chose. I paid him $2000. and think I got a real deal. we had to do a little touch up on them .I can send you his phone number if you like he is located in S. Ga. we were camped at Vet. memorial State Park. he is a Mennonite carpenter/cabinet maker.
rogerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:11 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGKane View Post
i meant to include the link
hereHeadliner Project
it has some pictures and better discription
Hi, Site moderator here. You did include that link, but I removed it because to see those images you must be a logged in member of that website. Sure, you can see them, but that's because you are logged in there.

It would be more helpful for you to actually attach your photos here. So that members here could see them.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:57 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Hi, Site moderator here. You did include that link, but I removed it because to see those images you must be a logged in member of that website. Sure, you can see them, but that's because you are logged in there.

It would be more helpful for you to actually attach your photos here. So that members here could see them.
Good point. Thanks. To summarize, after removing the vinyl the foam stays up. All this foam had to come off. Its really a messy job, I used a big wire brush and was able to get down to bare wood. We glued the new vinyl up with a 3M spray vinyl adhesive and trimmed it out with a cherry molding.
Also should note that in our case the replacement vinyl is no longer available but Lichtsinn was able to find an alternative that is almost a perfect match (color is dead on, texture ever so slightly different).
I'm very happy not to have a sagging ceiling and very happy this project is behind us.
Here are a few before, during and after. Notice the plastic is really important to keep the foam contained. You can see in that picture where one panel is scrapped down the other still has the foam stuck to the wood.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image1 (2).jpeg
Views:	157
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	169197   Click image for larger version

Name:	image3 (2).jpeg
Views:	129
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	169198  

Name:	image7 (2).jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	169199   Click image for larger version

Name:	image9 (2).jpeg
Views:	158
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	169200  

Old 01-04-2018, 06:37 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Wow! that looks great. How long did it take you start to finish? How do the stips come down? Just pry off or is there a trick?