Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2005 Journey entry door

Gents...
The entry door on my 2005 Journey opens 90 degrees and has a detent built into the hinge to keep it open. When using the screen door on a windy day the mail door is forced against the stop or blows closed.

Has anyone figured out some type of device that will keep and hold the door in the open position?

Mark
malk415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Mark,
I am not at my computer now to do a search for you, but there was a thread on this subject several months ago. Hopefully one of the folks that participated will jump in.

The best solution in that discussion seemed to be the installation of a strap at the top of the door. There were pictures.

Try a search.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Mark, go to www.3tsrv.com and look under products for their "door stop". It is a great product and will keep your door from blowing forward and compromising that built in detent that Winnebego uses, which is very vulnerable. As far as the door blowing closed, I haven't figured out a solution for that except to tie a bungee cord around the mirror and hook it in the door latch. Hope this helps.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Doorguy...

Thanks for the information. The 3't door stop looks like it would fill the bill, trouble is it also empties the pocket. Seems a bit over priced for a piece of aluminum flat bar with a bracket welded to it.

Oh well no doubt cheaper than a new door.

Mark
Old 12-10-2011, 12:07 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Below is a link to the "Entry Door Holder" thread in the Winnebago Owners Forum.

I listed some part numbers that I used to solve the door problem. See post #9.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/entr...er-107663.html
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:57 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Yes, the cost of the 3t's door stop is cheap insurance considering the replacement cost of the mirror or the door window(around $600 for that alone).
Old 12-11-2011, 04:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

This was covered here several years ago along with pix, but I don't know if it survived the forum change at the time.

I used a 1" wide Nylon strap secured into the top of the door jam and door fitted to stop just shy of 90 degrees (to compensate stretch). Still there and works fine..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Found my pix:

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I like it..a great solution.

Mark
Old 12-12-2011, 08:01 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Why is it we always overlook the simplest solutions?????? Excellent idea, wish I'd of thought of it.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

SCVJeff,

I like it and I think that I will add a strap to my door. The door holder that I mentioned in my earlier post has the advantage of being able to hold the door open in the wind, but it has to be installed each time whereas the strap is always there to prevent springing the door.

The two combined should make the door "bullet proof" in any wind condition.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:20 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Location: If something hasn't broken on your RV, it is about to.
I had the same problem. I made the following repairs and modifications to the entrance door. Because the door had be swinging back greater than 90 degrees for some time the hinges had "opened up" and, thus, were lose and the door listed slightly down toward the latch side. This eventually resulted in the remote door locking mechanism to malfunction. After replacing the the hinges with three new hinges and having to buy a new remote latch mechanism (at a total cost of over $300 for everything) I looked for a way to "hold" the door open so that it would not whip around during sudden bursts of wind. I found that the simple "Rod-Entrance Door" system found on page 171 of the Winnebago Parts Catalog worked just fine for me. http://www.winnebagoind.com/rvcatalo...go_Catalog.pdf
127960-01-01A Retainer, Eye, 3/8", Stainless Steel
127647-03-01A Rod-Awning Guard, Entrance Door, 19.4”
I was going to mount the retainer eyes up high on the interior of the door and on the frame of the coach, but DW was unable to reach that high, so I mounted one eye on the right bar that holds the rear view mirror and the other on the exterior of the door, just under the window, in positions that would hold the door rigid at 90 degrees when open. I was concerned that a good gust might knock the mirror out of alignment, but have yet to have that problem.

Suncircles
2005 Journey with 2006 CRV Toad
Suncircles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, journey