Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-10-2019, 07:39 PM   #1
Winnie Journey Pilot

2005 Journey 36G - door opening too far

How far should the entry door open on my Journey 36G? I'm wondering if there is something broken in the linkage in the center between the hinges. The door can open all the way forward where it can strike the right rear view mirror.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2317.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	375.3 KB
ID:	172183   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2318.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	347.7 KB
ID:	172184  

Name:	IMG_2319.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	172185  
Papa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

These old threads may prove helpful:
2007 Winnebago Journey front door

entry door taken by wind

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Dave View Post
How far should the entry door open on my Journey 36G? I'm wondering if there is something broken in the linkage in the center between the hinges. The door can open all the way forward where it can strike the right rear view mirror.
Papa Dave,
Yep, lots of us have had that problem. Winne's door system is by far, one of the worst in the RV industry. That door weighs probably around a couple hundred pounds and, if the wind catches it, which it does quite frequently, the door limiter is totally useless. 3T's RV center in Lake Havasu City AZ, developed a sort of band aid to the issue. But, it's a band aid, at best. What I did was actually quite simple.

I took the inner door plastic skin off and developed a set of 1" Nylon webbing straps, three of them that, are attached to the steep section of the door, about a foot into it from the left, as you look at the open door. Then, the other end is attached to the door jamb. Neither attachment point for those straps, interferes with anything on or in the door or, its ability to function or close. What they do is, limit the amount of opening, the door travels to. In my case, I designed them to limit the door to 90 degrees, PERIOD. Now, almost no matter how much wind comes up, those three straps will stop that door from going past 90 degrees.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

door opens too far.

After seeing the way your entry door went all the way to the mirror I became concerned for our 2007 Journey 34h entry door having no restraint device so I whipped up a simple rod and bracket set-up to hold our door in windy conditions and when we want the door open also using the screen door...it seems to work ok and might save us some headaches later!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7238.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	172216   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7239.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	172217  

Name:	IMG_7240.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	172218  
buford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Take a look at the last post in this thread:

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...or-227824.html

Thats my door and the strap is in there to this day and functions perfectly. No drilling the doors, no mickey mouse rods to lose. It just works

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

door stopper strap...

I forgot to mention the strap at the top of the door to help stop the door from swinging too far and getting ripped out of hand in a strong wind...This will probably go well with my Mickey Mouse door stay! Sometimes we like to have the door open and use the screen door, the MM door stay will work for this too.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

door opens too far.

Sorry I forgot the pics...here they are.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7242.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	172222   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7241.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	172223  

Old 09-22-2019, 06:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

My Journey 36 DL has the same small door stopper yours does, Papa Dave, but it does NOT hyper-extend like yours does. I think some wind event in the past might have damaged yours. My door opens around 120 degrees and it doesn't contact the mirror.

What I do in the morning if I'm going to leave the door open is attach a 45" long flat 1" wide bungee cord with plastic hooks on each end to the door and mirror. Two loops around the mirror arm, then a loop around the door handle and make sure the hook is captured under the bungee is all it takes to keep tension on the door. So when the door is hit with wind, the bungee keeps tension on it in one direction and the built in door stopper keeps tension on it the other direction. So all I have to do is pay attention and if I hear noises from the door, go and close it. Pretty simple.

No drilling, no straps, no rods. Just grab the nearby bungee (I keep it handy), hook it up to the door and I'm done.

In your case though, your door stopper seems to have been hyper extended so that will have to be fixed.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:33 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

door problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Papa Dave,
Yep, lots of us have had that problem. Winne's door system is by far, one of the worst in the RV industry. That door weighs probably around a couple hundred pounds and, if the wind catches it, which it does quite frequently, the door limiter is totally useless. 3T's RV center in Lake Havasu City AZ, developed a sort of band aid to the issue. But, it's a band aid, at best. What I did was actually quite simple.

I took the inner door plastic skin off and developed a set of 1" Nylon webbing straps, three of them that, are attached to the steep section of the door, about a foot into it from the left, as you look at the open door. Then, the other end is attached to the door jamb. Neither attachment point for those straps, interferes with anything on or in the door or, its ability to function or close. What they do is, limit the amount of opening, the door travels to. In my case, I designed them to limit the door to 90 degrees, PERIOD. Now, almost no matter how much wind comes up, those three straps will stop that door from going past 90 degrees.
Scott
How about some pictures of your door restraint? Thanks, Buford.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Dave View Post

Papa Dave, take a look at item #54 on this parts breakout of your door: http://www.winnebagoind.com/service/...05/5wkp36g.pdf
The "door check" may be broken.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 09-26-2019, 07:58 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We have a a rod and bracket device on our 2005 Vectra. Worked fine for several years.

There's a design flaw. It's easy to forget that the bracket is in place when you try to close the entry door. We eventually forgot one too many times, and the bracket screws pulled out of the fiberglass fender. Now, we have body damage in front of our entry door; small but unsightly.

Earlier this year, the Winnebago Service Center in Junction City OR modified the mechanism internal to the entry door. I'm not sure exactly what they did, but they might have installed the "door keeper" that was subsequently used by Winnebago after our Vectra was assembled. Perfect 90-degree angle when open. Whatever they did, it seems to have some "shock absorber" effect. It's worked well so far, at least in light winds. We're still extremely cautious in stronger winds.

Next time we're near Lake Havasu City, I'd go with the T-21 door stop by 3-Ts RV Products.

By the way, Progressive Insurance paid to replace our entry door after wind ripped it our of our hands and damaged the door frame. The RV body shop had a major challenge replacing the entry door and frame. They advised never to replace it again. With hindsight, i would first ask a body shop if the frame could be repaired in place rather than replaced.
drczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:34 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2004 Journey 39k it had the same problem.
I took the information from the manufacturers plate on the door then contacted them without hesitation they in turn sent me a door stop assy no charge.
I am not sure if they beefed it up but it sure does fix the problem.
The one thing i would recommend is pay close attention when opening the door especially when its windy.
Dave9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, journey