Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2006, 02:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

slide out problems after a power surge.
I bought a new BIG battery charger as I do a lot of shop work on Classic cars.Anyway I hooked this up to my main battery on my 05 Itasca Sunrise and when I turned it on it blew.The control mod for the slide outs blew up as did a bunch of fuses. The cause has been traced back to the NEW battery charger which had its transformer wired backwards at the factory..
I replaced all the fuses and the control mod but am still getting a 4 blink code from the front slideout panel which is low voltage.. The batteries are all new and fully charged, all fuses I can find are good and I cannot find any burnt or broken wires on the system. Anyone have any ideas on this.? It is a two day drive to and from the dealer so that is a last resort.I would like to try a few more things at this end first. The company that built the charger is paying the bill though.
Thanks for any feedback..can post it here or send it to me at [email protected]
DCudmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

slide out problems after a power surge.
I bought a new BIG battery charger as I do a lot of shop work on Classic cars.Anyway I hooked this up to my main battery on my 05 Itasca Sunrise and when I turned it on it blew.The control mod for the slide outs blew up as did a bunch of fuses. The cause has been traced back to the NEW battery charger which had its transformer wired backwards at the factory..
I replaced all the fuses and the control mod but am still getting a 4 blink code from the front slideout panel which is low voltage.. The batteries are all new and fully charged, all fuses I can find are good and I cannot find any burnt or broken wires on the system. Anyone have any ideas on this.? It is a two day drive to and from the dealer so that is a last resort.I would like to try a few more things at this end first. The company that built the charger is paying the bill though.
Thanks for any feedback..can post it here or send it to me at [email protected]
Old 02-28-2006, 09:24 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Is it just the front slide that is having this problem, or both?
zertrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

It was both.I found the problem after 5 calls to Winne tech help, one to Kwikee and then I downloaded the wiring schematics from the Winne website and located the hidden circuit board under the floor at the top step in the entrance way. The breaker was blown there .That got the front slide working.I then traced the wires for the rear slide and found the control box for it, which is also burnt out so now have to wait another two weeks for that board. Funny why the tech did not tell me about the circuit board and soleniods under the floor in the stairway..I knew of the one uunder the sink, the 12 and 110 ones there as well as the fuse boxes under the hood and dash but not that one.
There is also a fuse on that solenoid to help with shorts.
Now to figure why there is no protection for the slide outs in case of a power surge...like this one.
Thanks for the help
Don
Old 03-02-2006, 11:15 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I am by no means an electrician ( I can change a lightbulb) but my battery tray has a warning label on it to disconnect batteries before hooking up any outside charger.

Doug
05 Meridian

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Yes and how to you start your rig with dead batteries ..for a boost...The only time I have ever seen anything like this happen before was on frozen batteries and I drove in the north here all my life, did a lot of boosting and a lot of connect charging from vehicle to vehicle or charger to vehicle..My question is why would the slideouts not be isolated from a power surge like this when everything else was..??The repair bill is being paid for by the charger manufacturer.
Don
Old 03-06-2006, 07:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hi Folks
I have to agree with Don

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> DCudmore
"Junior Member"
Posted March 06, 2006 10:05 AM
Yes and how to you start your rig with dead batteries ..for a boost...The only time I have ever seen anything like this happen before was on frozen batteries and I drove in the north here all my life, did a lot of boosting and a lot of connect charging from vehicle to vehicle or charger to vehicle.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I too have survived many vehicle to vehicle and charger to battery boosts without frying the components and I believe there have been MANY posts questioning the validity of that sticker CHIPPYSGT mentioned. I have to wonder if something wasn't doing the job it was intended to in isolating the slide components? Did the Winni Tech folks not have a comment on this particular aspect?
Old 03-18-2006, 05:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

The winni tech did not help me much.I ended up downloading the wire schematics from the website and following the wires to the control panels before I found the panel under the floor in the stairwell.And the second rear slide control in the rear basement compartment.No help from Kwickee and very little from winnie.I am still waiting for the rear control panel .Good thing I am not stuck somewhere as it has been close to 3 months now getting this fixed.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:42 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

There should be something to protect the slideout control panels from overloads.The way it is setup now there is nothing, unless the power jumped the gap after the breaker tripped.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Other then fuses I dont know how you could protect the controls.
But it sounds like they took at least a 120V hit off a 12V system and maybe more!
Your lucky it did not set the rig on fire.

You might be able to move the system wires to a relay activated by the key switch to on, but it most likley will never happen again a million years anyway.

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote