Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2019, 04:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2005 Adventurer inverter question.

When not plugged in to shore power and the generator is off if I turn my inverter on it only powers up the t.v.'s. Is this normal ? Thanks.
tommyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:15 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Typical. What size is it, 1000W, 2000W, or?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

It's a Dimensions model WIN 12/300. 300 watts then I guess ? Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

As can be seen from the 2005 Adventurer Brochure the only inverter offered appears to be an optional 300-watt one which presumably powers only the TV and other parts of the entertainment system (satellite, DVD player, etc.). Exactly what is powered by it can be ascertained by inspection of the Wiring Diagrams for your coach.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the help. Being new to this deal I'm still learning. My son thought it was odd because his last two M.H.'s worked differently than mine. His are diesel pushers and larger than mine though.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:30 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd View Post
Thanks for the help. Being new to this deal I'm still learning. My son thought it was odd because his last two M.H.'s worked differently than mine. His are diesel pushers and larger than mine though.
Probably more batteries and amp hours with a bigger inverter.
There's a chance there is an available outlet or two on your inverter and you could plug in an extension cord or something else if needed. But watch your battery(s) so that it doesn't get below 12 volts or its life may be shortened considerably.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

In our Adventurer there is also an AC outlet in the cabinet to the left of the TV where the CD player is located. This outlet is way in back on the side next to the TV. It is powered by the inverter. We have plugged an extension cord into it since it is hard to reach when needed. The extension cord is generally used to recharge a laptop computer by turning on the inverter when dry camping.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I have the same setup in my Journey and the reason it's like it is is that it takes up to 5 minutes for the TV, Winegard satellite setup, and TV satellite receiver to come back online after a power outage. With that 300 watt inverter powering those devices up in the entertainment cabinets, it never looses a picture. So that's good when you're watching an important game. BUT...you have to keep a careful eye on when and if power is restored and start the genset if it's taking more than ~30 minutes depending on how big your battery bank is.

So don't mess with it if you like to watch games without interruption from a power outage.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Have the same inverted and setup in 2012 Navion. The WIN 12/300 inverter has a GFI on the front panel. You can push the "test" button while the inverter is on and shore power and generator are off and all equipment and plugs connected to the inverted will be disconnected. On my rig, the plugs around the kitchenette, TV and outdoor plug powering the external TV are connected to the inverter.

The Dimensions 12/300 is now obsolete, no service or repair parts. I have inquires in at WBO for substitutes. The main issue is front panel physical size to avoid cabinetry work, if possible.

If considering an upgrade to a higher wattage remember that the input cables to the inverter must be increased in size to accommodate the additional current. Also, the 12/300 has an internal transfer switch that protects the inverter from damage when shore power or generator power is present and the inverted switch is in the on position.

The closest clone to the 12/300 that I have found is a Xantech unit. Xantech also has an external transfer switch (TRS) to protect the inverter in the event of shore or generator power. Xantec disclaims the TRS for any other manufacturer but there are WEB posting indicating that it works with OEM inverters. Delay time is specified at 80 ms. so the worst changeover scenario would be when the inverter switch is on, the rig was operating on shore power and the generator was started.

The rig TRS delay is typically 3-5 seconds to allow the generator to come up to speed. During this time, the rig would be operating on shore power. Then the rig TRS relay actuates, switching to generator power. During the time that it takes the rig TRS contacts to move from shore power to generator power, the inverter TRS will connect the inverter (within 80 milliseconds) to the plugs. When the generator is up to speed and the rig TRS relay is fully actuated, the inverter TRS will disconnect the inverter, the rig now running on generator power. When the generator is switched off, the reverse process will occur.

There is a lot of connecting and disconnecting going on and anything plugged into the 110 VAC outlets will have to endure the spikes and discontinuities. Sensitive devices (including the inverter) can be damaged, so it is best to leave the inverter switch off except when there is no other power source connected and be sure to use surge protectors.

My rig has satellite TV, internet and computer equipment so I use an Uninterruptible Power Source (UPS) to isolate the equipment from "dirty" 110 VAC.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:59 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Yes on the Adventurers from the late 1990's to early 2000's with only 2 size 27 to 31 house batteries under the steps there was only an inverter in the 300 to 500 watt range in the entertainment center. Its in the brochure and owners manual which if you did not get them in the Winnebago Binder/Black Bag thats supposed to stay with the coach you can download from the Resource area on Winnebago's web site.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U. This is normal. It is wired that way from the factory.
Crashnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:41 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

FYI - WGO part number for the Dimensions 12/300 inverter is 099048-05-000.

Strayed from the original issue but - by changing from 2 12VDC house batteries to two 6VDC house batteries additional power is available for a bigger (500 watt) inverter. A lot of work and $ for a moderate increase in inverter up-time. Better to use the generator!
Old 05-13-2019, 05:41 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

FYI-

Repair of the Dimensions 12/300 Inverter can be made by:

Sensata Technologies
4467 White Bear Parkway
St. Paul MN 55110

Phone 651 255 4500 X4505

Dimensions is now a division of Sensata
Old 05-16-2019, 03:53 PM   #14
2002 Journey WPK36GD

Inverter cautions

A 300W inverter draws about 24 Amps from your batteries. So, 1000W will draw about 80 A and so forth without inefficiencies.

I am not sure of your capacity of batteries but if you draw them lower than 50% the battery life is significantly reduced. So say you have 320 AH capacity then 80A gives you 160 usable AH. At 1000W this is 2 hours before you have to quit.

My coach heat system uses 8 Amps when the blower is on. So if it is on 50% of the time this will be 96AH. Just having your heater on reduces you to minimal lights only plus TV for 3 hours max.
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:31 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Agree with your estimates. Important to leave enough juice to start the generator!

The inverter, battery cables and batteries are all matched so increasing the inverter wattage and keeping the service time unchanged means increasing the battery Amp Hour rating and increasing the battery cable gauge to the inverter.

An upgrade may be necessary because the 12/300 inverter is obsolete and apparently has no direct replacement. To get the same functionality as the 12/300 (internal TRS), the Xantrex 1000 has the lowest wattage at 1KW.

Dimensions Division of Sensata will repair a Dimensions 12/300 for a flat rate of $255 plus packing and shipping of around $50.

Considering the cost of a Xantrex, cables and batteries, the 12/300 repair cost seems reasonable. An upgraded inverter would likely require cabinetry work for installation.

Tags
adventurer, inverter, vent