Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2020, 11:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2004 Sightseer Windshield Leak

I have a 2004 Sightseer 35N. I am getting a leak down the inside of the passenger side of the windshield. I have applied silicone caulk around the windshield trim and the running lights but still leaking. No apparent leaks anywhere else that I can see. Any suggestions?
TruAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Silicone around the running lights over both windows. They develop leaks and the water makes it's way down inside.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:04 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I fought such a leak on my 2004 Adventurer 35U. I replaced the running light gaskets. Still had the leak. I removed the rubber trim strip above the windshield. I used silicone in the channel the rubber trim was in. Since I have not had the leak. Just a suggestion.

I left the rubber trim off for now. I should have pressed the trim back on right after I silicone the channel. At the time I wasn't sure I had the leak located and corrected.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

If you've already sealed the running lights and top gasket above the windshield then its time to check the satellite dish, CB antenna mount, front cap to roof seam, front cap to side wall seams, side window to sidewall seals at the tops of the driver and passenger side windows and the roof to sidewall seals.

Some of these seams require a specific Manus Urethane Adhesive Sealant and not by any means a silicone caulk. A silicone caulk does not have strong enough adhesive properties and will leave a residue that will prevent the correct Adhesive Sealant from working correctly.

Note that the Manus Urethane Adhesive Sealant only has a 9 month from manufacture shelf life so you really can't stock up on it and have to be careful that you don't end up being sold old stock that's already 9 months or older.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

TruAmerican,

I had a leak like that on my '08 Sightseer. I had a roll of black Rescue Tape and ran it around the whole top of the rubber windshield gasket so that half the tape tape width was on it and the other half on the cap. This was about 4 years ago....the tape is still there- doing it's job. You'd never notice it unless I pointed it out. I'd bet this would fix your leak.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I sort of did what puttin did. Only I used rubber stick on gutter. Made for going over windows. Amazon carries it: RV Gutter

Then I used 4" wide black vinyl tape to cover the center and the bottom gaskets. Mine though was leaking from two of the running lights over the window so everything I did to the windows was pretty much wasted.

But I had fun doing the work. Here's a link to my blog post about doing it: Weather proofing the windows...

Old 01-13-2020, 12:53 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I had a windshield leak that I repaired with Capt. Tolley’s Creeping Crack Cure, which you can find at most marine supply stores, some RV stores, and Amazon. It looks like and has the consistency of milk but is quite sticky. It works great on boats, where things get wet a lot!

I ran a trail of this along the top of the rubber windshield gasket, using a sliver of wood to separate the rubber from the fiberglass. It ran down the inside of the window. Ah ha! This is where it is needed. Let it dry for a day and applied again. A little ran inside. Dried and applied a third coat and haven’t had any leak since. The dried residue can be removed from the inside of the windshield quickly with a razor blade.

Caution: the tiny tip on the bottle can be broken off easily.

Silicone sealant I avoid. I have found it sticks to glass and some ceramics, but very poorly to metal and plastic/fiberglass.
NormD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:31 PM   #8
Sct
Winnebago Watcher

Windshield leak

We had an annoying leak with our 2006 Journey. The leak was above the left side windshield. I caulked everything. Still leaked. Turns out the windshield frame was rusted and allowing water to get past the window at the top. The good thing was it only leaked when it was raining! Apparently the black rubber molding doesn’t have much to do with sealing the windshield. The windshield is glued into the frame. The windshield developed a crack so we had it replaced. Thats when we discovered the rusted frame. They cleaned up the rust and installed the new windshield. Leak fixed.
Sct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:36 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Windshield leak

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. I am trying them one at a time until the problem is resolved. I ran some tape across the running lights and around the windshield. We had a huge rain last week and the leak was reduced. I assume I am on the right track. I will continue as best I can in this weather. I may have to live with it until I get to Arizona.

Thanks again. You guys are the best.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:19 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I know it's not likely the source of the leak you've been talking about, but the end cap seam is a good place to use Eternabond 4" tape to prevent potential leaks. Front and rear of RV. They make it in 5 colors now and as most have discovered sticks and lasts great. I put it on both my Class A rigs and years later, still no sign of any leaks at those seams.

Have a friend who took her time getting around to putting it on her front cap seam and sure enough, during a heavy rain storm, the caulking decided to break free. Water made it's way along the seam inside the rig staining the ceiling brown, and nearly ruined the passenger side overhead cabinets.

In reading these posts, I must apologize for missing a salient point. Don't know how I could have missed the fact that you'd already used silicone around the front running lights...and yet yours still leaked. Only thing one could think is that it's coming in somewhere else. But where!!?? That's what's so maddening about these Winnie window leaks.

I used clear RTV on each of the running lights over the windows with about a 1/4" bead and that completely stopped the two small leaks I use to have that would show up on the inside of the drivers side window. And that very night after I'd installed it, had a huge rain storm that proved it worked. A couple days later, driving in the rain, again, no inside leak.

Well, anyway, good luck finding the leak. It might be difficult, but you'll find it eventually.

Old 01-16-2020, 02:54 PM   #11
2012 Itasca Suncruiser 37

Windshield Leak

I had the same problem with my 2004 Itasca Suncruiser. After much research I discovered that this is an issue with that year era of Winnebago motor homes. As stated before it starts with a leaky clearance light above the windshield. Once the rust around the windshield frame is bad enough for it too leak, resealing the light does no good. For a temporary fix i used Scotch brand #2228 Moisture sealing electrical tape from Home Depot. I applied it during warm weather across the top of the windshield weather stripping. No leaks since then. I did remove the clearance light lenses and sealed with silicone just to prevent more leakage.
I have only found one repair shop that specializes in this issue with Winnebago. The are in Quartzsite, Arizona.

Quartzsite RV Glass | Call 253-924-9330

I will eventually make it out to see him and have mine permanently fixed. The windshields are glued in so you can count on breakage to get them removed and replaced. I put a $0 deductible for windshield glass on my insurance a few months ago. He does insurance work so hopefully that will help me in the long run. Good Luck.
Armydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:44 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Do any of those flexible spray can sealants work for seasonal touch ups on roof seams?
iezzif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:23 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Worst sealant I'v ever used. Used some around top of side windows just to add another level of seal. Spray-on started peeling up 1 year later
Old 01-23-2020, 03:35 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2004 Itasca Sunrise, and although I don't YET have a windshield leak, I'd like to prevent one. The rubber trim at the top, center, and sides can easily be pulled out (on mine); My idea is to pull them, fill the void between the RV and the glass with black windshield urethane, and immediately put the trim back in place, thereby sealing the joint AND glueing the rubber trim in place. Seems like a good plan, but......anyone think otherwise? Am I missing something?
Old 01-23-2020, 10:19 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
I have a 2004 Itasca Sunrise, and although I don't YET have a windshield leak, I'd like to prevent one. The rubber trim at the top, center, and sides can easily be pulled out (on mine); My idea is to pull them, fill the void between the RV and the glass with black windshield urethane, and immediately put the trim back in place, thereby sealing the joint AND glueing the rubber trim in place. Seems like a good plan, but......anyone think otherwise? Am I missing something?
I think you'll find that Eternabond tape is going to be as, or more effective, and a lot less work. It will keep water from getting behind the trim in the first place.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:20 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I think you'll find that Eternabond tape is going to be as, or more effective, and a lot less work. It will keep water from getting behind the trim in the first place.
While Eternabond is fine for roof/cap seams and the like, I'm not wild about covering the top seam of my windshield with it just from a "looks" perspective.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:45 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Thank you everyone for you contribution to this thread. All very helpful in troubleshooting the windshield leak. I will be removing the molding around the windshield, caulking, then reinstalling the molding. I should have the results my Monday and will post what happens.

Thanks again to all.

Tags
leak, sightseer