Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-20-2010, 05:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2004 Sightseer questions

Ok, so I have it home now and I am realizing that the mechanic who did the walk thru with us was definitely the second string. Most answers were "I don't know" or "it's in the book". Well, I didn't get the owner's manuals yet. Hopefully I'll get them when I pick up my tags.

Anyway, can anyone tell me where the switch is for the electric power to the water heater? Isn't the switch on the control panel only for gas operation? Also, where is the switch for the reading lamp to the upper left of the driver's seat?

Thanx in advance for your help,
Don
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

The dash lighting dimmer switch right next to the headlight switch turns the reading lamp on when you turn it past full bright.

I just checked the brochure that cam with my 2004 Sightseer 35N and I don't see an option for an electric water heater.

You can download a copy of the manual here: Previous Model Year Product Information

Wiring and plumbing diagrams are here:Manuals & Diagrams

As a side note I added another reading lamp like the one above the driver to the passenger side and mounted a wall switch down low so the passenger can easily reach it.
I bought LED bulbs to replace the halogen bulbs in those two reading lights.
LED bulbs don't work well in the other reading lights in the coach because the beam is smaller than the halogen bulb and the other fixtures don't swivel enough to put the beam where you need it.

Also you might want to check and see when your chassis was built. It is normal for 2004 coaches to be built on a year earlier chassis.
Although my coach is a 2004 model year the chassis was built in May of 2003.
In August of 2003, Workhorse changed the front stabilizer bar from a 2 inch to a 2.5 inch. That made a major improvement in roll.

I ordered the 2.5 inch bar and installed it and I would highly recommend you do too if you have the 2 inch bar.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Hi Clay,

Thanks for the response. My VIN does show up as a 2003 Ford unfinished.

Are you saying that you only operate your water heater on LP?

Does your unit have "water heater" listed on the Powerline monitoring panel? Mine doesn't have "water heater" listed on that panel, but the top led is lit and unmarked.

The owner's manuals only go back to 2006 and that booklet shows a seperate toggle switch for electric operation of water heater.

My last rv had a Suburban water heater which had an on/off switch for electric usage outside. ( and an anode rod )

Also, THANK YOU for the info on the reading lamp. That sucker was driving me CRAZY.

Don
Old 11-20-2010, 05:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

My 2005 Sightseer water heater only operates on LP. I beleve it is possible to purchase an aftermarket kit and modify your water heater for electric operation.

JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Clay and JD,

Thanks for your responses. After perusing some other forums as well, I am believing that 2004 was still the dark ages for Winnebago water heaters. I would like to avoid the after market fixes.

I'm going to start a new post about swapping out and upgrading and see where that leads me.

Thanks again,
Don
Old 11-21-2010, 06:19 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdrj5 View Post
Hi Clay,

Thanks for the response. My VIN does show up as a 2003 Ford unfinished.

Are you saying that you only operate your water heater on LP?

Does your unit have "water heater" listed on the Powerline monitoring panel? Mine doesn't have "water heater" listed on that panel, but the top led is lit and unmarked.

The owner's manuals only go back to 2006 and that booklet shows a seperate toggle switch for electric operation of water heater.

My last rv had a Suburban water heater which had an on/off switch for electric usage outside. ( and an anode rod )

Also, THANK YOU for the info on the reading lamp. That sucker was driving me CRAZY.

Don
I sometimes forget that Workhorse wasn't he only maker of chassis for Winnebago . Ignore what I said about the stabilizer bar.

Yes I can only operate my water heater on propane.

I do have "Water Heater" listed on the Powerline panel. There is a rocker switch with an internal light. The switch turns the heater on and off. By the way the bulb burned out during warranty. Winne sent me a new switch and the bulb burned out again. I drilled a small hole next to the switch and installed a small green LED panel light I got at Radio Shack. Looks like it came from the factory that way.

Winne uses Atwood water heaters with no anode rod.

If you go here Previous Model Year Product Information you can see 2004 brochures - all the way back to 1969 actually.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2000 adventurer and the switch for my water heater is in the cabanet over my microwave where all of my 12 volt circut breackers are not sure if it would be the same there for you but maybe u might get lucky,

Mark
Old 11-21-2010, 08:22 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Looked up the model number on Atwood's site and it is definitely only for LP use.

Thanks for all of the help.
Don