Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2018, 07:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2004 Meridian won’t start

A friend also has a 2004 Meridian that will not start. He installed 2 new chassis batteries. He messed up and connected them up wrong. The horn blew when he touched the last cable and it also made a spark. He quickly removed the cable but it was too last. He doesn’t know if a fuse was blown or maybe the ECM was messed up. Any suggestions on what he should look for. Nothing happens when he tries to start the coach.
KJUSIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Someone with more experience likely will chime in here, but I was curious so did a quick search.
It looks like the first place to start is to trace the positive cable from the battery that runs to the alternator and starter. There should be a fusible link (a sort of fuse, if you will) in that line that most likely has melted and will need to be replaced.
That was the consensus of several threads that I found where someone reversed the polarity when connecting batteries.
Good luck, and I hope that someone with more experience than I can jump in and help.
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Define “doesn't start”...
No crank, no relay sounds, no dash insturnments, what..?

I have the same chassis and am not aware of any fuses on the chassis batteries, but looking for it totally depends what on what Doesn’t Start means?

Hopefully he has a DVM and reasonable knowledge how to use it?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
Define “doesn't start”...
No crank, no relay sounds, no dash insturnments, what..?

I have the same chassis and am not aware of any fuses on the chassis batteries, but looking for it totally depends what on what Doesn’t Start means?

Hopefully he has a DVM and reasonable knowledge how to use it?
I will check with my friend and find out what happens when tries to start the Motorhome. Thanks
Old 09-16-2018, 09:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaptrn View Post
Someone with more experience likely will chime in here, but I was curious so did a quick search.
It looks like the first place to start is to trace the positive cable from the battery that runs to the alternator and starter. There should be a fusible link (a sort of fuse, if you will) in that line that most likely has melted and will need to be replaced.
That was the consensus of several threads that I found where someone reversed the polarity when connecting batteries.
Good luck, and I hope that someone with more experience than I can jump in and help.
I will go tomorrow and see if I can locate the fuse. Thanks
Old 09-17-2018, 08:44 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

My friend had someone jump the starter and it turned over the engine. They noticed the the lights on the Allison transmission shift would not come on. Is there a fuse that they need to look for?
Old 09-17-2018, 08:50 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Starter does not turn over, the instrument panel has power but the Allison transmission shift control has no lights on. I am thinking it might be a fuse.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUSIE View Post
Starter does not turn over, the instrument panel has power but the Allison transmission shift control has no lights on. I am thinking it might be a fuse.
I hope you didn't blow the controller. When you say "hooked up wrong" what do you mean?
Old 09-17-2018, 02:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

He put 2 12 volt starting batteries in series and not parallel.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:27 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I hope you didn't blow the controller. When you say "hooked up wrong" what do you mean?
Do you know where the EMU is normally located?
Old 09-18-2018, 07:36 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Do you know where the EMU is normally located?
For the transmission, on top of it. Allison had to replace mine because the start signal was not getting to the starter solenoid through it. I would turn the key and wait for the glow light to go out. Then I would turn it to the start position and nothing would happen. If I turned the key, then, all the way back to ACC and immediately back to start it would fire up every time. Freightliner identified the actual problem. The Allison Depot repair center located next door actually did the board swap.

24VDC on all of your electronics is not good. You may have other issues. Did you shut off the battery disconnect switch before you swapped batteries?
Old 09-18-2018, 07:51 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
For the transmission, on top of it. Allison had to replace mine because the start signal was not getting to the starter solenoid through it. I would turn the key and wait for the glow light to go out. Then I would turn it to the start position and nothing would happen. If I turned the key, then, all the way back to ACC and immediately back to start it would fire up every time. Freightliner identified the actual problem. The Allison Depot repair center located next door actually did the board swap.

24VDC on all of your electronics is not good. You may have other issues. Did you shut off the battery disconnect switch before you swapped batteries?
I doubt that my friend turned off the battery disconnect. I will try and locate the VIM and check the fuses.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:54 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I doubt that my friend turned off the battery disconnect. I will try and locate the VIM and check the fuses.
He has no power going to his shifter. I believe the power comes from the VIM.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:56 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:

There is no OEM chassis battery disconnect on a 2004 Meridian.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:46 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Ok thanks. Not my Motorhome so I don’t know what he has. He is not too knowledgeable about forums so I am trying to help him solve this problem.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:05 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
My '05 Vectra had it located in the engine compartment. It was a big red rotating knob type.