Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-25-2017, 06:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2004 Meridian How to Equalize?

I have a 2004 Meridian / Journey. I added a Trik L Start. I have put in a Magnum 2012 Inverter and 4 Lifeline Agms. I have 4 years on the Linelines and am thinking equalization would be a good thing. Magnum will do 15.5 for 4 hours if I hold the charge button for 5 seconds. Lifeline says equalization should be 8 hours.

Anyway, Worried about everything else in the coach..... I see the shut down on the dash that should shut off all the 12V stuff that would not tolerate 15.5 like HW heater and Norcold etc. But what about the Trik L start? Is 4 hours of 5 amps and 15.5V going to hurt anything in the chassis system? Should I disconnect it?

Am I forgetting anything else that would suffer?
Many Thanks
Alex
AlexP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

My 03 Ultimate came with the B.I.R.D. system from the factory that does pretty much the same thing that the after-market Trik L Start does. I have done the equalization process many times on my coach. I always trip the house battery disconnect to remove 12v power to all house items. This protects the appliances with the sensitive computer boards. Then I run the process, and it does take 6-8 hours depending on battery condition.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexP View Post
I have a 2004 Meridian / Journey. I added a Trik L Start. I have put in a Magnum 2012 Inverter and 4 Lifeline Agms. I have 4 years on the Linelines and am thinking equalization would be a good thing. Magnum will do 15.5 for 4 hours if I hold the charge button for 5 seconds. Lifeline says equalization should be 8 hours.

Anyway, Worried about everything else in the coach..... I see the shut down on the dash that should shut off all the 12V stuff that would not tolerate 15.5 like HW heater and Norcold etc. But what about the Trik L start? Is 4 hours of 5 amps and 15.5V going to hurt anything in the chassis system? Should I disconnect it?

Am I forgetting anything else that would suffer?
Many Thanks
Alex
For what reason do you want to equalize the bank? Are you having problems? Before you do anything so drastic I suggest that you call Lifeline and get their advise. You could destroy your batteries as I once did. That was an expensive "I think it is time" move on my part.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 01-26-2017, 03:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have used our Magnum Inverter/Charger panel to equalize our 4 batteries on several occasions and never stopped using anything in the coach during the 4 hour process - Magnum says that it's automatic and goes back to normal after the equalization period is over. The batteries will sound like they are boiling during equalization. They don't say to turn anything off during this process or warn that anything can be harmed. My understanding is that the system is just 'overcharging' the batteries during this time to bring each to the same 'level', but is not overcharging any 12v or 120v output.
49 US States(including ALASKA) & 10 Canadian Provinces
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

X2 on checking with your battery maker FIRST!!! There has been quite a brew haw as to if AGM batteries should EVERY be equalized. Some makers say NO. SO a call could save you big $$$$$$$'s
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

my Magnum manual says:
"Performing an Equalize Charge on batteries other than liquid lead
acid or certain AGM types could permanently damage them. Refer
to your battery manufacturer/dealer for instructions on how to
properly equalize your batteries. Equalization charging is not available
if GEL or AGM 2 is selected under the SETUP menu’s 04 Battery Type"

and, I'll also add this note about equalization in the manual, as someone
else pointed out:
"CAUTION: Ensure the DC loads will not be damaged by the higher
voltage applied to the batteries during the Equalize Charge. If in
doubt, disconnect the DC loads to prevent damage."

I can only imagine that this might pertain to an RV type fridge while
it is on 'electric' mode, possibly an RV type 12v TV that is on, or
a device plugged into a 12v outlet and on.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Lifeline I believe is the only AGM battery that has a manufacturer approved equalization procedure. I did mine a couple times and I just turned off the 12V to everything.
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Lifeline says Equalization is ok. See
http://www.optimabatteries.nl/upl_fi...r%20manual.pdf
But it says to do 15.5 V for 8 hours. I know that both my Atwood HW heater board and my Norcold refer have 12V DC maxes of less that 15.5V. So turning everything off should be needed. I was worried about the Trik L Start allowing 15.5 into the chassis wiring, but I am thinking now that that is wired on the far side of the isolator. So when I shut everything off the Trik L Start will not be connected to the house wiring either. So I should be good. I will check with a volt meter, just for a little extra measure.
Thanks for the encouragement.
Alex
AlexP is offline   Reply With Quote