Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2004 Brave TV replacement

Has anyone replaced the TV in a 2004 Brave with the plastic bezel (or frame) around it? I want to replace mine but would like to see how others have done theirs.

Thanks,
TN Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:52 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

I'm torn on our front RCA 25" TV from getting it fixed to replacing the unit. I'd afraid that either choice may not be better than the other.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
I'm torn on our front RCA 25" TV from getting it fixed to replacing the unit. I'd afraid that either choice may not be better than the other.
DriVer,

If my tv was bad I sure would not try to have it repaired. I want to replace mine to get rid of the converter box which I do not think works very well.

Have you had any problems with heat in the electronics compartment effection your DVD player?
Old 09-12-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

replace TV

I replaced the 20 inch tube type TV on my 2001 Brave with a 24 inch Samsung HDTV from Costco.

The HDTV looked far better than the CRT TV but unfortunately I cannot find the pictures I took.

The CRT TV is very heavy and held in by a metal strap (similar to the earthquake strap on a water heater) and screws at the corners of the CRT front. I removed the strap,screws, TV, and all of the brackets between the two cabinets. Now there was a big hole in the headliner where the TV dropped down and a big gap between the cabinets.

I made a sheetmetal bracket extending from the metal on the left cabinet to the metal on the right cabinet. The TV is mounted to that piece of sheetmetal with four screws (VESA mount) on the back of the TV. I made the sheetmetal bracket such that it did not block the connections on the back of the TV.

Now the TV, DVD, satellite reciever and antenna could be hooked up. Only problem was a big hole where the big plastic bezel and plastic under the TV were.

The new headliner under the cabinets was made with vinyl wrapped on about 1/8 inch plywood. I used the old headliner plywood as a pattern and made a new completerly flat headliner without the cutout for the TV. I went to an upholstery shop and got some matching vinyl.

The comlete installation looked very nice. Now the headliner was perfectly flat (no plastic) and the TV I bought at Costco was purchased to be the perfect width to fit between the two cabinets.
marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

That sounds like what I want to do. Sure wish you had some pictures.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:59 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

If interested I have replaced the CRT in our 2004 Sightseer 35N with a 32" LCD.
Photos at Picasa Web Albums - Terry & Bev + Cookie - 32 LCD TV . Other projects there also.
pace89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

If I understand right you used 1/2" plywood on the sides, but did you cover your plywood with some wood flooring? The pictures don't look like plywood? Now, how are the velcro straps working out for you? Do they hold the tv solid enough even on rough roads?

Looks very nice and I'd like to copy except mine has the plastic bezel so I'm going to have to hone my wood working skills to build a frame that looks as nice as yours.
captgadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Send me a Private message with your Email address and I will send you a PDF of the installation in a Winnebago adventurer 35 U - photos and dialog Have already sent this to over 100 requests
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwasouth
Send me a Private message with your Email address and I will send you a PDF of the installation in a Winnebago adventurer 35 U - photos and dialog Have already sent this to over 100 requests
I'm in the process of replacing my 27 inch Panasonic tv with a Sony 32 inch HDTV in our 04 discovery. Any info or pics would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks in advance.

Jim Randolph
Santa Rosa Ca
[email protected]
LOUSAARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:51 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

You check out my photos here and if you have any questions send me an email. Some of the photos point out that it doesn't hurt to measure twice and cut once. It has been a challange to get this done. As you can see mine had the plastice bezel and I built a wooden frame to replace that. Good luck

https://picasaweb.google.com/1154051...J3X29O_gua2sAE#
captgadget is offline   Reply With Quote