Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2017, 04:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2003 Journey generator will not crank

We just bought a 2003 Journey with a 7500 diesel generator. We had the house batteries changed. The generator started fine after that. When we got home we plugged the mh into the 110 volts at our well house we had used before but it drew quite an arc and blew the pump house fuse. We then plugged it in to a household outlet and things were fine. I replaced the engine batteries as they were poor. Yesterday I tried starting the generator. All I got was a buzzing sound similar to a starter solenoid clicking. I noticed we also have a small green light on the main panel that says ac in fault over temperature.
dickb46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

You need to check the pump house outlet. It could have been a 240 volt one. Did the plug fit in or did you make an adaptor.

If that was the case, you need to check if your converter or inverter/charger tripped a breaker or worst.

If it's a converter, look for a breaker on the power panel.
If it's a inverter, look for a breaker on it. Some are push button.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the reply. The outlet in the pump house is a standard 20 amp 120vac duplex outlet. It did have a fault.
Will the inverter/converter keep the generator from receiving starting power from the batteries?
Old 03-04-2017, 06:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Twinboat you just may have hit the jackpot!!

With 110vac plugged into the coach if I disconnect the house batteries I loose all hotel power in coach. That never happened in my Vectra, it would just stop the batteries from charging. So possibly I have a problem with the converter.

Please help with that if you can. Is there a breaker on the converter or something? We've only had this coach for 3 weeks.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If it's a converter, they have fuses on them for battery connections and a circuit breaker for 120 volt connection..

Do you have an inverter that makes 120 volts from batteries ?

Please check to see that the batteries are wired correctly. Converters also have reverse connection fuses in them.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Great! Thanks, yes we have a 1500 watt inverter (it still works)

I'll look at the converter in the morning. It seems like I shouldn't loose power when plugged in if I turn the batteries off.

Do you think this is effecting the starting of the generator?
Old 03-04-2017, 08:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I checked the battery wiring. Red goes to + black goes to -.

They were "professionally" installed at Campingworld...
Old 03-05-2017, 02:00 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

If your generator starts from the house batteries, as many do, and they are not being charged, it will effect it.

Have you looked for a boost switch for helping the generator starting ? It combines the engine battery with the the house for starting assist.

That doesn't help your converter issue. You should be able to turn off the house battery and still have lights, fans and water pump power if plugged in.

As an aside, unfortunately " Professional " and " Camping World " are rarely use in the same sentence. Their track record isn't the greatest, although they probably got it right.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:54 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2002 Journey... you have 3 locations which you can start you generator... when you press any one of the switches, you will see a green light flashing and hear a clicking noise, keep switch depressed. Genset should start within 30 seconds. The 'clicking' noise you hear is like a glow plug or warmer. There is a breaker on the genset that can trip when overloaded...
If your MH is 'as is' from the factory, you have an inverter.. Shore power or genset only charge house batteries..
Old 03-05-2017, 09:03 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

The genny on my '06 Journey starts the same way. Press and hold the start switch and you will hear some clicking until the gen fires. The colder the weather, the longer the switch needs to be held in the start position. Once the gen fires and depending on your type of transfer switch, it may take 20-40 seconds for the transfer switch to transfer the generated 120 volts throughout the RV.

Dan
Old 03-05-2017, 11:36 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

ABSOLUTELY!!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

It's cold here. I held the button in for about 15 seconds and it fired up just as it started to crank!!

Great help

Tags
generator, journey