Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-17-2015, 11:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2002 SightSeer 30b a/c issue

Afternoon,

Recently purchased an 02 Sightseer 30b w/20k miles. The a/c unit worked initially when plugged into shore power. Took it on a ride for a few hours and when I returned, the microwave has no power and the a/c doesn't turn on. Its the coleman rooftop unit.

Same condition despite being plugged into shore power or running with the generator.

I have gobs of manuals and I can't definitively find out where to look for a fuse for the a/c unit or what the cause is. I'm very mechanically inclined with all things automotive but new to the RV world.

Any help would be appreciated!

TIA,

Matt
Sicksix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:50 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

:welcome:

The rooftop AC works off 120 v shore power or generator. The circuit breaker should be in the same panel as other 120 v circuit breakers.

The roof AC and your furnace are both controlled by the thermostat on the wall, that is powered by your 12 v house battery. Make sure the house power is turned on.

The fact that the microwave also doesn't work points to an issue with shore power, the cord or one of the main circuit breakers in your power panel. Check the circuit breakers in your breaker box. All circuit breakers should be tested by turning them off then on again, they can look on when actually tripped. Use a 120 v lamp to test for any 120 v power in the RV when the shore cord is plugged in. You'll also need to check the circuit breaker in the power panel or pedestal you are plugged into. If there is power at the outlet or pedestal, then the issue could be with your shore cord plug. Always make sure pedestal CB is off when plugging or unplugging the cord, the repeated arcs can damage the plug. Replacement plugs are available at Walmart (often) or other camping store.

While not an issue here, be aware that the GFI outlets in your RV are usually used to not only protect that outlet from shock hazard but one or more other outlets might be 'daisy chained' to that GFI outlet. An imbalance in any outlet on that circuit could trigger the GFI and cause them to be dead. When you do restore power in the RV it would be a good exercise to test each circuit breaker and identify which outlets and GFI are connected so that you don't have to do it on a cold and rainy night.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Sicksix, here is a link to your 110 VAC wiring diagram.
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_139204.pdf
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
:welcome:

The rooftop AC works off 120 v shore power or generator. The circuit breaker should be in the same panel as other 120 v circuit breakers.

The roof AC and your furnace are both controlled by the thermostat on the wall, that is powered by your 12 v house battery. Make sure the house power is turned on.

The fact that the microwave also doesn't work points to an issue with shore power, the cord or one of the main circuit breakers in your power panel. Check the circuit breakers in your breaker box. All circuit breakers should be tested by turning them off then on again, they can look on when actually tripped. Use a 120 v lamp to test for any 120 v power in the RV when the shore cord is plugged in. You'll also need to check the circuit breaker in the power panel or pedestal you are plugged into. If there is power at the outlet or pedestal, then the issue could be with your shore cord plug. Always make sure pedestal CB is off when plugging or unplugging the cord, the repeated arcs can damage the plug. Replacement plugs are available at Walmart (often) or other camping store.

While not an issue here, be aware that the GFI outlets in your RV are usually used to not only protect that outlet from shock hazard but one or more other outlets might be 'daisy chained' to that GFI outlet. An imbalance in any outlet on that circuit could trigger the GFI and cause them to be dead. When you do restore power in the RV it would be a good exercise to test each circuit breaker and identify which outlets and GFI are connected so that you don't have to do it on a cold and rainy night.
Thank you sir for the input. The thermostat on the wall was the first place I looked, it clicked when the ac was put into on or auto but the roof unit didn't turn on. Prior to taking the rv on a trip I would plug in shore power and it turned right on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
Sicksix, here is a link to your 110 VAC wiring diagram.
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_139204.pdf
Thank you for that diagram. Stupid question, am I looking at the panel in located in the front passenger side outside compartment?

Thanks, very helpful so far.

Matt
Old 08-18-2015, 08:53 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Usually the control center is inside the RV. The diagram doesn't mention the location of the control center, but there would only be one breaker panel with 120 v circuit breakers. Look behind cabinet doors in bed base, in closets, etc. Looking at the diagram I see you have no automatic transfer switch. To get power from the generator, you must manually plug a cord into a 30 amp outlet. To switch back to shore power you have to remove the generator plug and plug in the shore cord. When you were driving around, did you have the generator running to power the rooftop air conditioner? If so, then you'd have to switch the cords at the 30 amp outlet to connect to shore cord.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-18-2015, 09:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Sicksix The control center is below the cabinets to the right of the fridge.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:08 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
Sicksix The control center is below the cabinets to the right of the fridge.
Thank you!

I will check when home, yes there is no automatic transfer switch and I didn't run the roof a/c at all while driving.

I will report back hopefully with the fix.

Matt
Old 08-18-2015, 05:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

All works, had no idea that was the "switch panel" below the fridges. Reset all the breakers and plugged rv into generator receptacle and cold air.. wooo. Microwave works as well now.

Thank you guys so much.

Matt
Old 08-18-2015, 05:25 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Next challenge will be to find the 12v fuses. You probably have at least two different fuse panels, one for the house functions, another for the chassis functions. Then there will be the random fuses on the individual appliances, in with your battery isolation solenoids, etc. It's always fun, but worth trying to find and identify as many as possible BEFORE something stops working.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-20-2015, 02:21 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Next challenge will be to find the 12v fuses. You probably have at least two different fuse panels, one for the house functions, another for the chassis functions. Then there will be the random fuses on the individual appliances, in with your battery isolation solenoids, etc. It's always fun, but worth trying to find and identify as many as possible BEFORE something stops working.
I've found all the fuses, thank you. I couldn't figure out why the units airbag suspension wasn't working...turns out the previous owners pulled the fuse at the fusible link at the battery to keep the compressor from running. That works now as well. Pretty much all good, going to Canada this weekend so we'll find out what doesn't!

Matt

Tags
sightseer