Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2009, 09:07 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2002 Sightseer 27c Slide Issue

I have the dreaded blinking red led on my slide operation panel when I try and operate it (parking brake not set). The brake is set and I've checked the parking brake switch. It seems fine and turns on the parking brake idiot light in the instrument cluster. A previous post mentioned a call to Kwikee advised unplugging the connector to the slide control box to reset it. The Winnebago schematic notes this magic box is in a compartment behind the step. I'm not finding it? Anybody have ideas or experience with this? Thanks in advance...
scott@plasticwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Om my Sightseer 26P I only have to disconnect the electrical power connector behind the jacks panel on the dashboard to fix any problems and reset the "brains". Disconnect, wait 30 secs and plug back in. It's fixed any problems I've had every time.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. I think my setup is a little different and I don't have jacks. I just went through a not starting problem and had all of the batteries disconnected. I would think that would do the same thing to reset, but?....
Old 05-01-2009, 10:05 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Apples and Oranges

Gary suggestion is correct BUT he is talking about the jacks not the slide out. Is it possible that the parking brake interlock isn't working and even though the light shows the brake set, it isn't really? If you have jacks do they operate correctly? If they don't then it might not be an slide issue but something with the PB. The folks at Kwikee are extremely nice and helpful. I would give them a call.
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Oops! Sorry, I misread your post.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Scott,

Apparently we were posting at the same time. Once with both sets of batts disconnected the Kwikee JACKS lost their mind and I did the unplug wait thing; but the slides never were affected so I don't know if the disconnect is the problem. Are you getting an error code or just the blinking parking light?
Old 05-01-2009, 10:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Indy...I just get the parking brake code. I can push the plunger on the parking brake switch and get the dash idiot light to come on, so I started looking elsewhere. Also tried the "semi auto mode" listed in the manual by pressing the IN and OUT switches at the same time with no effect. I was just out looking for the control box again with out any luck.
I need to search for some info on this parking brake interlock.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The interlock placement varies for chassis to chassis but if you stand on your head and follow the PB arm up inside the dash there is "usually" a small switch wired up on it that sends the signal to the slides, jacks etc. that the PB is set. There is a procedure for jumping around it to test if it is bad but I've never done it. Maybe a search on interlock or someone who really knows what they are talking about can chime in.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I had our rear slide fail from a Lightning strike (2004 Sightseer 35 N) one of the items that failed was the in/out switch. It has some electronics in it & maybe pulling the switch & disconnect/Wait/reconnecting (switch connector plug) it would be a reset for the switch???
pace89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:26 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Found it...Thanks, I did find a post about running a jumper from the switch ground to chassis ground. Tried it - no luck. The phillips screw holding it on has the head stripped so I need to vice grip it out. I am puzzled though because the switch is activating the idiot light?
Old 05-01-2009, 02:11 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Update: I did talk with Kwikee and they were very nice, but I didn't get anywhere. They mentioned the control box and that pin 7 of 8 related to the parking brake interlock....When I put the slide control into manual mode (by holding down the stop button) an then pressing the in or out buttons I can hear the clunk of the motors being energized - but that's it. Now if I could just find the control box I'd have something else to poke at.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I looked at the wiring diagrams for your coach and it shows the control box for the slide out and says that it is located in a compartment behind the steps.
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_137859.pdf
I would guess from that comment that they mean the compartment after the steps or first one south of the door. But it could also mean that there is a small compartment behind the steps. There is a 40 amp breaker for the slide so there is a slim chance that you can follow the wiring harness back from there to find the control box. Sorry, can;t be more helpful but just not that familiar with the layout of your MH.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:55 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thanks again Indy...I did find the slide control box in the storage compartment on the left side of the step. It hides behind a sheet metal cover. I pulled it out and it looks OK and all of the connections seem to be good. I'm stumped?
Old 09-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

I got this fixed by running a jumper from pin7 on the biggest connector on the Kwikee control box (purple wire) to ground. Works perfectly now!
snoshred is offline   Reply With Quote