Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2007, 08:53 AM   #1
TEO
Winnebago Camper

Today I had my first tour of the underside of the Journey. God help me, I have a lot to learn. I know nothing about air brakes and will have to cram on that information. Also, I looked high and low (actually low because I was under the coach) for a fitting to connect an air hose. It was my impression that all these air suspension DPs had such a fitting, but I could be wrong. In that case I'll have to find a connection to tap into.

There is a LOT more stuff under there than my '98 Safari and I can see that working on the engine is going to be more difficult. At any rate, the first job was to alter the rock guard of the previous owner as the scraping was terrible. Next up is to replace the belts. T%hat will have to wait until after Tuesday.

Any tips or hints of any kind will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

FMCA F98905
TEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 08:53 AM   #2
TEO
Winnebago Camper

Today I had my first tour of the underside of the Journey. God help me, I have a lot to learn. I know nothing about air brakes and will have to cram on that information. Also, I looked high and low (actually low because I was under the coach) for a fitting to connect an air hose. It was my impression that all these air suspension DPs had such a fitting, but I could be wrong. In that case I'll have to find a connection to tap into.

There is a LOT more stuff under there than my '98 Safari and I can see that working on the engine is going to be more difficult. At any rate, the first job was to alter the rock guard of the previous owner as the scraping was terrible. Next up is to replace the belts. T%hat will have to wait until after Tuesday.

Any tips or hints of any kind will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

FMCA F98905
Old 12-23-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Paul: The air hose fitting is located in the front of the rig where the generator is, when you open the hood look to your right and it sits right on the fire wall under neath the vacuum pump. As for the belt I find going under neath the coach is the eastist way to replace it rather that going under the bed or taken the panels off. Hope this helps. Ron

Celebration Florida
Ron and Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 11:45 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Paul
I have had my 02 Journey only about 4 weeks now and really trying to get the learning curve going as you are.
I found in the generator compartment more than one location that has a valve stem where you can get air. Hav'nt tried it yet as I am unsure which to use. Or does it make a difference?
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 12:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

2004 Journeys have an air hose connector on the right side of the "front hood" ... it is a "female" connector ... there is an shut-off valve (red handle) directly behind the connector ...

You can pump up your tires after you bring your air pressure completely up ...

<span class="ev_code_RED">Be careful when you detach your air hose ... make sure you turn the shut-off to OFF and release the pressure before you remove your hose</span>
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 12:56 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Paul,
Congratulations on your new purchase. If you provide more info as to engine size, gen make and model perhaps I could provide a few things to look for. Example, some Journeys had the rear bed front to back like my 06 Meridian while others have the bed side to side. The difference being IMHO, the front to back gives a little more access to the engine so some repairs are better done from the top than bottom. Some of us have Cummins while others have Cats. I think you get the idea. Glad to help a fellow Journey owner anytime. Good luck
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Call Freightliner and sign up for Camp Freightliner. Mike Cody will teach you everything in the world about your Journey. The cost is $100 for one and $150 for two. This includes the class, materials, lunch for two days and dinner one night. Very worthwhile. Ask Mike any question an he'll either answer or find the answer. He also is an RVer so can answer other than chassis and engine questions most of the time. Also be sure and contact Winnebgo and register as the second owner. Enjoy your Journey!!!
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 02:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

TEO, you might want to buy heavier eye bolts for the rock guard. I broke two on my Horizon and it doesn't do the rock guard much good.

As far a learning, take your time and it will all come to you. Use all the customer service departments(allison,freightliner, cat(?)and others as needed. Do NOT be afraid to pcik up the phone and call a Manufacturer of any component. Slow and Easy ,,just the way you should be RVing..
Following Homer's instructions I will resort to Merry, Merry,merry.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:31 AM   #9
TEO
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the replys. My coach has the CAT 3126 E 330 hp engine and that's good because my last coach had the 3126 so I'm OK there. The bed is front-to-back, like my Safari, but there is a lot less access under the bed. I haven't tried that access yet but I can see that there will be a minor problem getting my short, stubby, 235 pound carcass down to the engine. Again, taking my stature into consideration, getting at the belts from below seems impossible.

I still can't find the air connection, but that's not a big problem. Camp Freightliner seems like an excellent idea and we're waiting for the 2008 schedule. Also, I'm going to work on the DW to take in the Freightliner Rally in Orlando next month. Then the FMCA rally in February. I'll be the guy stalking owners of Journeys to get as much info as I can.

Thanks again,

Paul

FMCA F98905
Old 12-24-2007, 04:42 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Paul,

We had the same year Journey DL as you do so I'm pretty familiar with it.

In 02, the Journey's did not have a quick connect style air fitting and shut off valve. They added that in later years. What the rig came with from the factory was a 50' coiled air hose with a slip on tire chuck style connector on both ends. The intent was for the owner to clip one end of the hose onto a schrader fitting on top of the small air tank used for the air horns. That tank has a schrader valve on the top of it and is fed by the motorhome air tank.

A much better solution though is to use the freightliner supplied auxillary air manifold for an air supply.

If you look on the firewall directly in front of the drivers position, you'll see a small silver colored air manifold with several plastic air lines coming from various ports on it. That manifold is supplied by Freighliner with about 8 port to tap into for various air needs. I removed one of the plugs from the manifold and screwed an air quick connect directly into the manifold for my air supply. Others suggested installing a ball valve first into the manifold then the quick connect which you may want to consider.

The onboard air supply is a great feature of the diesel pusher motorhome and we used it frequently for inflating tires or toys.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:14 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

TEO: Thanks for supplying the info as that will help everyone with your questions. As to the access from inside the coach here is what I have learned and this info is in your manual. This is for a "front to back" set up. Important:remove mattress, pillows, bedding etc. If you lift up from the front of the bed the whole platform rises up (don't trust the supports and use a pole for added safety). Depending on year, you will see either one or two pretty good size metal covers held down by screws. Once you remove these you will have almost total access to the engine. You can straddle the engine completely and see almost every component. To change belts, I have one person underneath and one on top and never had a problem. FYI, those covers are not light so best if you have two people or one really young "nuclear norton" kind of guy. Son or grandson would work. Take care and good luck.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:27 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

On our Journey there is a Quick Disconnect Air Valve, with a positive shut off behind it as well as an Air Pressure Guage so we will know what pressure is available in the line.
Don't know if this was a Factory install or after market install but it is a great system.
We use ours for Tires and also for cleaning parts and locations with a blowgun attachment from WallyWorld.

Where are you Ron? We are at Wilderness till Jan 1st and then will be headed for Texas and points East.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone!

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:38 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

We are home now chet & motorhome in storage.
1st of year going to Reno for a couple days Brrrr .Gonna be a real test for the heater.
Have a great trip to Texas. Hope to meet up again sometime. Ron
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote