Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2007, 12:05 PM   #1
gMw
Winnebago Owner

Our 2002 Journey 39QD has a crack on the left rear side wall, right at the front edge of the rear bedroom slide. The crack itself is approximately 18 inches long, running in a downward direction, slightly angled towards the front.

Our dealer has attempted to fix this twice under warrantee, but the crack has returned over time, after each repair. I'm wondering if the problem's cause is really a design issue that the dealer simply can't just fix....

I contacted Winnebago and sent them a picture of the crack. Their take is they've authorized the dealer to fix it twice, the Journey is out of warrantee, so it's not a Winnebago issue, and I should take it back to the dealer to see if they can or will do anything. I'm not impressed...

I searched a couple of forums and found another person experienced the same kind of problem with a 39QD, which I find interesting.

Wondering if anyone else is seeing the same kind of problem with their 02 Journey 39QD??? If yes, who and how was it repaired? And did the crack return?
gMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
gMw
Winnebago Owner

Our 2002 Journey 39QD has a crack on the left rear side wall, right at the front edge of the rear bedroom slide. The crack itself is approximately 18 inches long, running in a downward direction, slightly angled towards the front.

Our dealer has attempted to fix this twice under warrantee, but the crack has returned over time, after each repair. I'm wondering if the problem's cause is really a design issue that the dealer simply can't just fix....

I contacted Winnebago and sent them a picture of the crack. Their take is they've authorized the dealer to fix it twice, the Journey is out of warrantee, so it's not a Winnebago issue, and I should take it back to the dealer to see if they can or will do anything. I'm not impressed...

I searched a couple of forums and found another person experienced the same kind of problem with a 39QD, which I find interesting.

Wondering if anyone else is seeing the same kind of problem with their 02 Journey 39QD??? If yes, who and how was it repaired? And did the crack return?
Old 05-02-2007, 02:59 PM   #3
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Ours has the same problem. It first appeared within the first year. Winnebago has repaired it 3 times so far and its going in for another repair in May. They gave me a letter stating that as long as I am the owner they will repair it.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:42 PM   #4
gMw
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not the original owner, but found out that the crack was "repaired" just before I purchased it, so the problem wasn't apparent.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

You will find you are not the only one with this problem and Winnebago won't do any thing about it.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:13 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Had a 03 39QD never had that problem. Winnie must have remedied the problem after the 02 experiences. Ask to speak to a supervisor at Winnie and keep going up the ladder, even write to the CEO and request a reply if you have to.
Had a piece of tile that kept popping up and found the one place "wall" moving at the bottom, secured that and no more problems.
I suspect something is moving or not enough support in that area to cause it to keep cracking, fixing the crack is easy, WHY it is cracking and fixing that problem is what needs to be done...Keep talking and going up the ladder.. Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

gMw,,,send me your e-mail address...thanks [email protected] thas JPOL 1012
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

While we have not as yet had the crack, this is a known problem with the design of the bedroom slide sidewall area for that year. As ichn2go says, it is a support problem on the sidewall.

Have talked to two '02 39QD owners that took their coaches to Forrest City and Winne added support and replaced the sidewall under warrentee. A major task. That was in '03

Doubt that they will do much now but 'fill and cover' the crack.

Don't think it is a safty problem, but sure leaves a bad tast in your month.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:40 PM   #9
gMw
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for your replies.

I spoke with the dealer I purchased my Journey from, they indicated the repair work they did, twice, was per Winnebago's instructions and specification. The dealer spoke to the area Winnebago rep, who indicated Winnebago wouldn't do anything more...

The Winnebago phone message, one hears while waiting, says they have a commitment to excellence and quality, I guess they fall short of their mark every now and than.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:01 PM   #10
gMw
Winnebago Owner

Just for ˜fun' I called Winnebago again and attempted to escalate the issue. The person I spoke to indicated that the issue has been reviewed by a district manager and was denied. I was also told the district manager's decision is final.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:28 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Did you ask winnebago how much it would cost if it was brought to the factory for them to fix?

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 01:50 PM   #12
gMw
Winnebago Owner

Jim,

No.. Didn't ask winnebago about a factory repair. Thought never even entered my mind.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gMw:
Jim,

No.. Didn't ask winnebago about a factory repair. Thought never even entered my mind. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe it would be worth asking the question? Maybe they can give you some sort of assistance if you offered to bring it to them?

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:49 PM   #14
gMw
Winnebago Owner

Jim,

The person I spoke to made it absolutely clear that they have denied any warranty repair and their decision is final. Further, there's nothing to discuss, as no one at Winnebago wants to or will talk to me about this.

Beside, I can't see paying them to fix their mistake.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:48 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2002 Journey DL 39QD and I have no crack in that location. My MH was manufactured in August 2002.

I do know of another person from Alamogordo, NM with the same problem with his 39QD. He had his repaired at the factory and is happy now.

Good luck.

I would take it to the factory for repair and get it done right.

Aventa II Tow Bar/Apollo Braking
El Jeffe is offline   Reply With Quote