Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2006, 03:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

I am looking to purchase a 2002 Adventurer 35U,
workhorse chassis, 10,600 miles. Seller is asking $60,000. Is there anything I should be checking on this model? Any problems or Maintance on this model? Hasn't been used much. Secretary is selling for her boss, so she doesn't know much about it. Unit is pretty much loaded, including in motion sat. dome. Should I buy or not buy? Is this a good price?
Never had a Motorhome before. Any advice would help. Thanks
C6monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I am looking to purchase a 2002 Adventurer 35U,
workhorse chassis, 10,600 miles. Seller is asking $60,000. Is there anything I should be checking on this model? Any problems or Maintance on this model? Hasn't been used much. Secretary is selling for her boss, so she doesn't know much about it. Unit is pretty much loaded, including in motion sat. dome. Should I buy or not buy? Is this a good price?
Never had a Motorhome before. Any advice would help. Thanks
Old 11-03-2006, 04:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

what brand in motion does it have? sounds good to me...i paid 110k for a 2006 left over suncruiser which I thought was a good deal for a 33v.

workhorse did have some recalls with the steering but they are under warranty. i would be concerned about slides working properly leak damage, improperly leaning, ride, transmission shift. does it have full body paint? very smart buying used!

good luck
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 04:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

In Detroit?

If so, been in it. $60,000 is getting much closer to what it is worth, at least compared to what they had been asking. Still a bit above NADA low retail of $52,000 though.

It's not loaded. I forget exactly what it had and didn't have, but the 2002 Adventurer brochure is at the Winnebago website:

2002 Adventurer brochure

Go through it and you can see what it has and doesn't have.

A call or email to Winnebago will get you the original price sheet, you can use it to see what each option cost. That can help you get a feel for what those options are worth to you, if anything.

As far as this particular unit, I recall it was pretty clean, and no damage that I remember. It was stored under a open sided large roof structure, and covered. It did had some wear marks from the cover blowing in the wind, but nothing major. It drove well, at least in a short drive off the streets. An offer in the low $50's wouldn't be an insult, and probably good way into a low mileage coach.

Of course, if it's not the one I'm thinking, I haven't been in it, but the rest applies.

On edit:
Hmmm, probably it.

This one?

But I see they have $60,000 FIRM. Might still take close to that to buy it. Have you been looking long? Do you like it?

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:49 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

We have a 2001 35U. Very happy with it. Ask if all the recalls were taken care of. If you get the vin. # you can check with Workhorse and see if they were taken care of also. Is it on the W-20 or W-22 chassis? Biggest recall was the break calipers.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 01:59 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for all the help so far. Does anyone else have anything to add?

Thanks
Old 11-04-2006, 02:09 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

One more...did it tow anything?? what did it tow if any? Was proper tranny maintenance (fluids etc) done for towing?
Old 11-04-2006, 05:53 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

30 or 50 Amp svc? Refridge recall done (if applicable)? Does the CCC satisfy you? When was the perimeter roof seal last inspected & what is its condition? How is the handling? You may want to add a panhard bar and/or a front stabilizer. Is there a record of maintenance performed?

I owned a 2000 35U (my first RV) and liked it.

The pics reflect an attractive rig. Do a comprehensive PDI if you buy. Can't help with price, but heck, it's only money.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:58 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The big item to check on any Winnie is the Roof to sidewall joint. You will need to do it from a ladder. Go down both sides pressing on the roof where it meets the sidewall. Press to see if the joint opens at any point along it. If so water may have entered the joint. Water in the joint can cause rot and separation of the side walls. Also check the heater fan for coach heat from the engine. The switch will be dash mounted with a high/low setting. Listen at the floor register between the front seats for the fan. The bearings are know to freeze causing the fan either not to start or will start and squeal. Check the Vin to see if it has a 2002 or 2001 chassis. Remember tires need replacing in 5 to 6 years if equipped with original tires (About $1900). Brake fluid should have been flushed every two years, if not it needs doing also. Most likely even with low mileage the shocks will need replacing ($350). I'm sure others will come up with the things I've forgot.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:33 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I have the identical unit except for the Ford V10 chassis and looking at NADA it shows low retail at $60K. The above post said low retail was $52K but did not count the extra features that is included with the Adventurer. The Workhorse adds value when purchasing but noticed is adds nothing as a 02 model. I would not take $60K for mine and think you have a great deal if it has been taken care of. Mine has been flawless since new and at present has 9500 miles, and has never been back to dealer for any type of repairs. You are within one year of needing tires and don't know anything about the workhorse chassis. My Ford pulls a 05 Chevy Tahoe with ease. The doghouse will need a insulation kit installed to eliminate noise and heat, just another design issue from Winnie, however, very please and don't regret my purchase. Just wish I could have afforded a diesel rig initially. Good luck!!!!!

07 F350 Dually Ford Diesel
R Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:12 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Ron:
Why would you have wanted a diesel rig? Yours is flawless, only has 9500 miles, and you love it. Sounds good to me!

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:15 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thudman:
Ron:
Why would you have wanted a diesel rig? Yours is flawless, only has 9500 miles, and you love it. Sounds good to me!

Thudman </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'd say to pull that LARGE Tahoe up them hills
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:19 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Most likely even with low mileage the shocks will need replacing ($350). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My shocks are still original with 26000 miles. How can you tell if you need new shocks? My ride is still flawless.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote