Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

2002-2006 Journey/Meridian owners-slide dragging on carpet

I've been to Forest City 3 times since I purchased my 2004 Meridian 36G for repairs and each time try to get them to raise the front slide slightly to keep it from dragging/discoloring the carpet. The only response I can get is that the trim along the outside lines up and it's just normal for the slide to make the carpet like that.

Not sure how many years before/after 2004 might be the same but just wondering if everyone with these model years of the Journey/meridians have this same trouble. Or am I getting the run around by being told this is just normal? Beginning to wonder if slide-out rooms are really worth all the trouble.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

It's hard to keep them off carpet. All the units I work on, which are mostly trailers and mid level MHs, have slides that drag on carpet. You can't adjust them to keep them off the carpet with normal slide systems.
You either raise or lower the outer mounting point on the rams, but at some point, center of gravity takes over and the room tips in or out once it reaches a mid point in the slide procedure. Going in, it tips in and will ride the carpet.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

HWH will do what you want.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

If the slides all drag on the carpet I wonder how owners are replacing the carpet with tile or linolelum squares? I've read several places where some owners get tired of the carpet and do this change over. Don't remember what make/model of RVs they were doing this on. Maybe some are more able to do this change on.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Finally was able to actually talk to the tech who does the work on slides and get him into the coach with the slide extended to show him what the slide was doing to the carpet. He did raise the slide a little, enough to keep it from dragging on the carpet even though it does still rub some but I can live with that.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
when I install wood in coaches that have an issue with the slide dragging, I get some luxury vinyl planks. I place those under the slide and the slide comes right in. Lay them crossways to coach. You can store them under the sofa. I use 4 of them. You can get them at any retail flooring store. Cheaper then the high dollar slide slickers
Old 05-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Wagonmaster2, what did the tech do to adjust the the slide?
Mike and Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

The front end of the slide was what needed raising since the back end seemed to be fine after installing the new glides. He pointed to the bar that runs under the slide right at the side of the coach and said he could raise that end of the bar about 1/4". I haven't had a chance yet to see just exactly how the front end of that bar can be raised, or not even sure exactly what it does. Guess after being in FC for 10 days to get 1 1/2 days work done and sitting through a 12-14 inch snow storm I was so glad something was actually being done so I could get out of there I didn't ask enough questions. At the same time i was trying to find out why the bedroom slide wasn't closing as tight at the rear edge as the front, how to fix the windshield washer that broke where it comes through the front cap, and what i could do about the bedroom crank out window that was sweating between the glass. This wasn't exactly the best trip to FC that I've ever had.

The next time I have the slide extended I'll try to look closer and see what he could have adjusted.