Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2007, 05:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We are trading for a 2001 Journey 32T diesel next week and wondered if any current owners had any comments on how they liked their units or anything to look for during the PDI. Thanks
farmer63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We are trading for a 2001 Journey 32T diesel next week and wondered if any current owners had any comments on how they liked their units or anything to look for during the PDI. Thanks
Old 09-28-2007, 05:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Farmer...welcome to the forum . You have certainly picked the right place to get help, suggestions and support for your new to you Winnebago. There are some 32T owners here who will likely respond soon.

My thoughts on PDI in general:

1. Take a flashlight and creeper (or ask the dealer to provide a creeper). Don't be afraid to roll around under the rig and inspect things carefully...look for telltale leaks, stains, rust, etc.
2. Tires on a 2001, if original, need to be replaced. If you haven't worked that into the deal, try to do so before giving them any $$$.
3. Make sure everything works...slides, leveling jacks, water pump, water heater, fridge, TV's, lights, awings, etc. When we bought our rig used, we stayed in the rig overnite on his lot before leaving...had them fix a couple of things we found by virtue of using everything.
4. Check the roof...make sure there are no issues with caulking around vents, skylight, antenna..etc. Check the roof/sidewall edge and make sure it is caulked well by pressing on the roof radias just above the seam. If the seam opens up anywhere, make them recaulk.
5. If this is your first diesel and you have not already done so, consider letting a qualified diesel mechanic check over the engine, drive line and chassis in general. Depending on how well the coach has been serviced (insist on seeing prior service records), you may need coolant flush/fill, new hoses/belts, new air, fuel, oil filters, air dryer service. Diesels are great but can be very expensive to repair so make sure it is in good mechanical condition and all service is up to date.

I am sure others will respond with things I've forgotten. Good luck and come back often to share your RV experiences with us.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:41 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

My 32T is an 06' but the features will be similar. Really no different from purchasing any other veh. Run all of the systems, air/heat, stove, refer, turn on all the lights, run the slides in and out a few times, turn on all the water faucets, run water pump, fill holding tanks when you first get there and let it sit during PDI. When you drive it, MAKE SURE that the alignment is on. If it is not, MAKE them fix it. Alignments can be pricey, not like a car. Turn on all electrics, TV's ect, and get manuals for everything you can. Put down hydraulic jacks and leave them down during PDI. Run generator under load, like AC to test for smoothness.

There is probably some stuff I am leaving off, but others may chime in. It really helps if you can take someone with you that has a MH and can use their "experienced eyes" to look for issues.

Oh yeah, one really big thing, check all the DATES on the tires. The 01' is 6 years old already, and that is just about the max time that RV tires have reached the end of their usefull life, REGARDLESS of what the tread looks like. 6 new tires will set you back at least a couple of grand.

Oh and look for water stains around the windows and roof line. This could be a major issue.

I'll stop now............

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We love our 32T, which we selected because we like to go places where it would be difficult to fit a longer MH. There have been many situations where 2 extra feet would have made it impossible to fit into a particular campsite.

We frequent National Forests, State and National Parks and many out of the way places where natural beauty and solitude reigns. Often we are pushing the envelope with a diesel coach.

And now Winnebago's 32' diesels will become somewhat of a collector's item, since they stopped manufacturing them as of 2006. They're not for everyone, but if you want to go to out of the way places, it's a good choice.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We have an '01 32T and have had it since Aug '01 and have over 80k miles at this time. We love it and in fact full-time in it. It handles well and gets 9-11 mpg depending on the terrain. We pull a Saturn Vue and do a lot of our driving in the west which means climbing mountains. I think you will love the coach.

Nick, Journey '01
Old 10-07-2007, 08:54 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have a 03 Horizon 32T which I bought new. Have enjoyed every minute in regards to the floor plan, power and handling and comfort. Just check it out as the others have suggested and if all is well enjoy.
Ace
d.duin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We have a 03 Horizon and after the first year of trips to the dealer for warranty repairs the coach has finally performed the way it should have initally. I think you will like the ride and handling of the 32 ,but be prepaired to hear a lot of guff from those that say the 32 is too short and handles poorly. Most of those folks have never driven or owned a 32 diesel.
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:36 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We completed the transaction yesterday, and so far are happy with our purchase. We can't wait to take our first trip in it. It may be awhile before we do that since we are busy harvesting. When we got home we thought we should dump the airbags and of course couldn't find the button, a call to the dealer informed us they dump on their own when you start the HWH system otherwise no need to mess with them. Hey, we couldn't remember everything we learned. I'm sure this will be the first of many questions. Ketelsen RV, Hiawatha Iowa, is wonderful to work with!!