Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-07-2016, 02:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Fuse location?

Hi there,
I am English, travelling in Greek Islands with my Winnibago Brave 1998. (32ft). I have lost the bedroom lights..on ceiling and the bedside lamps. All bulbs ok.
Both mains electric and 12v power not working.
I cannot find a fuse box in the living area..Only under dashboard.
Any ideas ? Winnibgao diagram says above microwave ..but nothing there ??
I assume there must be one ?
I had lost everything 12V by the way earlier this year. But that was cured by pressing in the 40amp white button circuit breaker under the dashboard.
cheers
Doot
doot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:28 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

One fuse block is under the hood on the drivers side, shoulder level. Another block is hidden under the steps. The top step pulls outward then lift up on the forward end of the step to remove it. Some rv units have a 'loose' step, some have tight fitting steps. No matter, the step will come out. Noe remove the kick plate (carpeted plate standing vertical, your toe would hit it). This plate pulls out also. Now you will see a metal plate about 4"x14" with two screws holding it in place. Put the step back in place then remove the two screws and pull the plate outward. Bingo! There you will find a series of reset buttons for the 12volt COACH systems. This is separate from the automotive system.

You will find a solenoid on the left and a relay to the right of the solenoid, both bolted to the frame and having battery cables attached to them. The solenoid engages / disengages the coach batteries. Normally the BATT switch would be on at all times. Turn it OFF during periods when not camping. The solenoid can go bad and kill power to the coach lighting system when shore power is not hooked up and when engine is not running. I am guessing this is your problem. Another power panel exists that has both 12v and AC breakers. This is usually next to the steps and below the sink, (depends on which floor plan you have). Don't forget fuses; there is a 5amp fuse on the left top of the relay. Check it also.
RevSM100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:02 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

By the way, putting the step plate back into position prevents the breaker plate from falling into the battery compartment. NOT A GOOD THING. Also, the dashboard will lift upward about 14" (prop it up with a piece of wood). This allows access to the automotive 12v fuse panel. This is separate from the COACH batteries and fuses. Accessories like CB radio, fans, Tire Minder, compass light, etc hook up here.
RevSM100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Fuse Location?

Cheers for that, I shall pop down and check under the hood. I have seen that solenoid under the metal cover.
I have electric step..just one that comes in and out.. Will take a look but does not sound the same as the one you describe. Batterys are above this step in a compartment of their own.
My 240 volt A/c breaker is under the fridge. Fridge , cooker etc etc are all on driver side. Step is on passenger side.
Everything workks on both 12v and 240v except the bedroom lights so would seem to be an individual fuse or breaker..as the others are all ok.
Will update later.
Fingers crossed it is not mice !!!
Many thanks again..
Doot
Old 06-07-2016, 11:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Fuse location?

ok..slowly getting some progress and also feeling stupid!
So..found the fuse under the hood..5am. blown. Replaced that so now the dashboard switch for auxillery power on and off works fine.

Then found the fuse box behind a panel under the fridge. The panel said power plus..I assumed it was the mains converter so had not taken it off. Below this is the mains circuit breaker. However behond it are a row of mains circuit breakers and BINGO..the 12v fuses.
Replaced them all with new ones anyway. So then pulled them out one by one to check what they relate to.
All ok ..except bedrooms lights still not working..however the bedroom ceiling lights did work ok for a few minutes ..so no mouse damage thankfully..but when I switched on the bedside lights..the ceiling light went off and has styed off....now back for breakfast..will mess around again later..
The bedside lights have small plastic fittings inside..I am wondering if one might be faulty and shorting..??
Anyway..relieved that it seems not to be mice eating cables...had them in winter in the French alps..came in through the battery compartment and the driving pedals I think..Took me 3 weeks to catch them and I heard them chewing away at something each night !!!
best regards again..and thanks ..great forum this one..
Old 06-08-2016, 04:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

The fuse panel I am talking about is in the staircase. Stand on the coach floor then step down one step. THAT is the step that slides out and up for removal. Then the kick plate can be pulled out. There are no screws etc., holding the panels in place.
tombones49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:47 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

So get a multimeter and test the bedroom lamp sockets for power. Test the ceiling light socket also. If no luck, check for power at the wall switch. Be sure connections are tight. The problem could be a bad connection in a junction box. If so, good luck in locating the box. Beyond that I don't think I can help any further.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:05 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

So many thanks..All sorted. I will explain in order case any other idiot has the same problem !!

1) Under dashboard which lifts up to show motor fuses is a white circuit breaker.40amp. This had popped out.
2) Under the hood above solenois is a 5am fuse. This had blown. This is for the dash panel switch for aux power on and off. Now working ok.
3) Fuse box located behind power converter panel below the Fridge. 15amp fuse had blown. I found out which works each by removing one at a time. Found the one that works for the bedroom lights and one side lamp up front by coach entrance door.
4) Really stupid part..but did not realise. The bedside lamps have light shades that were too tight to undo by hand so I was reaching up inside and putting new bulbs in during winter. Just did it by feel. Unknown to me the new bulbs were perfect fit for all the ceiling lights and galley lights etc. BUT they had one connector. Not sure what you call it. Bottom of the bulb that connects with the lamp, grey protruding bump.
The bedside lamps have 2 !!!! but I could not see these until I eventuall took off the lampshades!!! So everytime I swithed on the bedside lamps the bulb shorted the lamp and blew the fuse that works for both those 2 lamps and the ceiling lamp.
Anyway..more lessons learnt !! Thank you guys again for your help and advice.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I am glad you were able to get things sorted out. Honestly, with so many different segments causing problems it was your perseverance that got you back on track. Most guys would have given up and paid someone else to sort things out. The 'bumps' are simply called 'contacts'. By the way, your summary of the fixes was excellent and appreciated.

Best wishes, tombones49
Old 06-10-2016, 05:52 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

By the way, RevSM100 is my wife of 47 years and I used her computer in the first couple of posts.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:21 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Fuse Location

Many thanks again..very handy to have this forum. Not many people on this Greek island know much about Winnibagos!!
Your advice for the 5amp fuse above the solenoid..was great..solved one problem that was puzzling me.And yes..patience was important..it was driving me crazy..trying to solve it all...
Anyway all good experience...so now back to the beach !!
regards
Rob..
Old 06-11-2016, 07:00 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

You sure do know how to hurt a guy.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brave, cat, circuit breaker, fuse, fuse box, winnebago