Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2007, 10:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Going to look at a Chevy 1997 Adventurer w 50k in the next few days. First Motor home RV so looking for some input on items/problems that I may need to pay close attention to in the inspection. From the searching posts are aware of tire and delam issues. Any input appreciated.
Nutmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Going to look at a Chevy 1997 Adventurer w 50k in the next few days. First Motor home RV so looking for some input on items/problems that I may need to pay close attention to in the inspection. From the searching posts are aware of tire and delam issues. Any input appreciated.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:38 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I would pay special attention to the belts and hoses on a 10 year old rig ...

Make sure that the roof and dash air conditioners adn refrigerator work (frige on both 120 and LP).

If it has jacks make sure they extend and retract ... check for signs of leaking fluid around the jacks ...

In general, the Adventurer is a very dependable rig ... we drove a '99 for 7 years ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Look for any ecidence of roof leaks. I am sure you are aware that you will probably need to replace tires and batteries unless recently replaced. I assume you also will determine if the rig starts and runs reasonably.

As mentioned previously check ALL the systems, water,generator,heat etc.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Skigramp appreciate the reply. Started looking at Winnebagos due to thier rep and wanting to try getting in to a motorhome at a reasonable cost to try lifestyle. Planning on only keeping a few years and by then will know to move up or move out. Again Thanks
Old 07-31-2007, 04:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Yep planning on checking all systems, test driving, crawling under for rust etc and inside cabinets overwindows for waterstains/soft areas.
Adventurer seems to have a good rep but there is nothing like talking to people that have had one or have experiance earned to know the details that a newbie would miss or that are common knowlege about a particular year or model. Tires are less than two years - batteries added to list. Thanks
Old 07-31-2007, 05:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nutmeg:
Going to look at a Chevy 1997 Adventurer w 50k in the next few days. First Motor home RV so looking for some input on items/problems that I may need to pay close attention to in the inspection. From the searching posts are aware of tire and delam issues. Any input appreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have the coach gone over with a critical eye to the fuel lines, oil cooling lines, transmission lines, brakes and wheel bearings. I lost my 95 P30 chassis to a front wheel fire. It was deemed a dragging brake caliper or tight wheel bearing. The fire was accelerated by oil lines that were seeping.

Make sure you get the engine bay and radiator detailed to be free of oil and grease after any leaks are reparied.

Also be wary of Northern coaches from the salt belt. The mild steel used for the bin frames is particularly prone to rot from the road salt.

Watch out for a hump in the floor just going into the rear bedroom. Coaches with hidden salt damage tend to sag in the rear and cause a slight hump in the floor. If you get into the rear bins and shine a light foward on the cross member toward the rear wheels, take note of the area that would be above the frame rails. Look for cracks and splits in the sheet metal.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

nutmeg--Welcome to the forum

Genesets are very important to the RV lifestyle,weather you plan on drycamping or not. Be sure to run the genset under load (both AC's running full blast and the uwave as well, if possible). A review of maintenance records (if any) will tell you a lot about how the the unit was cared for. A lack of records is also telling.

Check alternator and converter output @ the batteries by measuring input voltage.

Run fridg on elect as well as propane for several days if possible.

After 35 years of the camping/RV lifestyle I have yet to meet anyone that didn't enjoy it. If this is the "right" coach, take the leap, I'm sure you will enjoy it. Good Luck..

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:43 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Again thanks, I've learned so much about RV's in the last two weeks stalking and now joining the forum its almost scary what I didn't know. Good heads up on the rust issue's as I am in Connecticut and salt rust and deteriation from sitting is a major concern. Sure we will enjoy it. We had a slide in unit before kids and enjoyed camping and as the family expanded the kids grew up loving it to. Were empty nested now so looking at the next phase.
Again I appreciate you taking the time to reply.