Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-10-2006, 04:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

I can run both A/C off my generator; however, only one with shore power. The generator had two outputs, 30 amp for the front A/C and all other coach functions and a 20 amp output which is strictly to power the rear A/C. Wondering why I couldn't tap into that 20 amp circuit and power that rear A/C from shore power. Alot of campgrounds have both a 30 and 20 amp output on their power box.

Any thoughts?

Danny
DannyLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I can run both A/C off my generator; however, only one with shore power. The generator had two outputs, 30 amp for the front A/C and all other coach functions and a 20 amp output which is strictly to power the rear A/C. Wondering why I couldn't tap into that 20 amp circuit and power that rear A/C from shore power. Alot of campgrounds have both a 30 and 20 amp output on their power box.

Any thoughts?

Danny
Old 08-10-2006, 06:31 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

On my Brave I am able to run both a/c units, PROVIDED, I have a full 30 amps from shore power. I have resorted to using a 50 to 30 "dogbone" in many campgrounds and am able to operate both a/c units. I have a selector switch over the microwave to select "front" or "rear" with both being able to be operated when set to "front".

In response to your specific question; I believe I have read of others doing exactly as your suggest. Not sure how it is wired, but I believe it works. Do a search, or hopefully, someone will come along that has done it to explain the details.

BTW, welcome to the forum
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Location: Fulltiming. Living wherever the jacks hit the ground.
Take a look at what this guy did. I think his rig is about the same age as yours. You can find his email on this site.

http://www.wolfswords.com/motorhome/50_amp.html
Old 08-11-2006, 08:12 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: In reading this info one thing is not always clear. Circuit breakers are in place to protect wires, not equipment. The location and size of breakers is always determined by the size of the wire and its current-carrying capacity. In home use most Romex wire is rated for 15 amps for 14 AWG and 20 amps for 12 AWG, for example. You may always use a smaller beaker than what the wire size will allow, but never a larger one. The purpose for circuit breakers is to prevent fires from overload, not to protect equipment.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Next </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Power Solutions makes a simlple device that is wired directly into your 2nd ac that allows you to run the 2nd ac off of the spare 20 amp source that is usually available.

cookie monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 03:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I appreciate all your feedback, think I got enough info to proceed----thanks again.

Danny
Old 08-29-2006, 11:04 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 1995 Adventurer and I don't have an answer to your problem but I want to know if you have had any problem with your ceiling headliner sagging. We have replaced one before and now on this one. Are we just unlucky?
Kay Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote