Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2006, 04:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hello all.

I'm looking at buying a 1994 34' Adventurer WCG34RQ. It has 27,000 miles on it. Can anyone tell me if there's anything special I should look for/at?

I've run a carfax on it and everything seems OK there. 1 owner, titled 6/95

TIA,

Merrill
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hello all.

I'm looking at buying a 1994 34' Adventurer WCG34RQ. It has 27,000 miles on it. Can anyone tell me if there's anything special I should look for/at?

I've run a carfax on it and everything seems OK there. 1 owner, titled 6/95

TIA,

Merrill
Old 06-09-2006, 06:14 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Let me be the first to welcome you here. For better answers you should post the chassis (Ford of Chev) and engine. Each has its own special problems.

I can give you some general ideas. Look carefully down the sides of the motorhome for any areas that seem bubbled. That may be a sign of delamination, a very expensive problem to repair. If there is delamination it is usually an indication of water damage from leakage. Check very carefully inside for signs of any water leakage. Get on the roof and look at all the joints and sealant.

I guess pretty much check everything carefully. See if the owner can supply all the service records from when it was new. If he kept good records, he probably kept good care of the motorhome. In any case, expect you will have to put some dollars into it, simply based on its age.

I'm sure there will be others along soon with more suggestions.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Sorry, it's a Chev. P30.

Does it have air bags in front suspension and does it have the auto-park brake?
Old 06-09-2006, 11:01 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Romer1, I had a 94 Advent, 34' (J I think it was, a side isle, P 30. We bought it with about 11k miles on it, traded it with about 68k.. Almost completly trouble free. I did have to replace the front air bags, also had auto park, but I had no trouble with that. It ran well, was totally reliable, gave about 7 mpg towing a 4000# S10.. My only complaint was that it was impossible to get it to look really clean. It just wouldnt polish up, especially below the belt. Aside from that, It was a great coach...BTW, I traded it on a new 04, 33V Advent. WH.. Another good one, so far, about 19k miles..as a prior poster stated, make sure there is NO delam, window leaks, or an inop Auto Park. The delamination is prohibitive to repair, the AP can be quite expensive... rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:03 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I also have a Winnebago, the Brave model was a step below the Adventurer, mostly trim items. We have been very pleased with ours which is also a Chevy chassis and engine. Yes you do have air bags in the front suspension, and you will have the infamous auto-park. Mine has worked flawlessly to this point and have every confidence in it. Our rig seems to be very solid and also in good conditon. We bought it used last summer with 20,000 miles on it. My only complaint to date is with the front end dipping slightly, and seems soft. I plan on replacing the front shocks with Bilstiens and hope that cures the problem.

The overall condition of my coach shows that the previous owner took good care of it. There have been some minor tinkering I have done, but that's part of owning a motor home. I did have problems with the dash air fan, but fixed that by replacing some simple parts.

If it checks out for you, it should be a good solid and reliable unit. Check the date codes on the tires if your can. On a unit that old you will probably have to replace the tires due to age, even if they look good to the eye. Motorhome tires generally die of old age long before they look to be worn out. There are those who say anything beyond 5 yrs is riding on borrowed time.

Good luck, let us know how it works out.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:40 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the replies.

Took it out Staurdya for a drive. Couldn't have picked a better time to check out a motorhome. Had about 2-3" of rain overnight Friday.
Discovered a leaky seal around rear a/c which will be replaced. Also a small leak around center of windshield, again they'll fix it.

Drove it for about half an hour on combination of roads and it handles, accelerates, and s stops extremely well. Only problem is what sounds like a leaky exhaust gasket. They are sending it out to have that repaired.

Tires are Goodyear 647(?) and look brand new. Will have my local Discount Tire shop check them out. (We're figuring that cost into the equation.) If we don't need tires so much the better.

Other than that, theres a small bubble midway down street side that seems to have been repaired. Needs a good wax to make it shiny.

Interior is like brand new.

Should be able topick it up this weekend

Oh, it has two short black antennas on roof, any idea whaat they might be?

Merrill
Old 06-12-2006, 05:40 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

The rubber antennas are for your sound systems...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:37 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I can't stress enough to check everything out very carefully before you finalize the deal. Make sure the dealer has the repairs done, not just a promise to repair. Other than that, it sounds like you have found a good MH that will provide many years of enjoyment for you.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:46 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We'll be driving it again before we accept it. Also want to have it weighed.

Of course it is kinda hard to mask an exhaust gasket leak.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:20 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Just a note on the exhaust sound,very common to be exhaust manifolds are cracked,have replaced mine with banks stainless headers
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:23 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Just talked to the dealer. Both exhaust manifolds have been fixed and all leaks repaired. We'll know for sure tomorrow.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:17 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Well, we got it!!!

Exhaust manifold repaced as promised. Think it may need a tune up tho. Ran OK while test driving it, but on the hundred mile trip on Interstates in 90+ temps, by the end of the trip it seemed to backfire occassionaly when starting from a light or trying to pull out to pass. Didn't happen with any regularity.

Also, generator ran fine Saturday on way home shut it down and restarted OK several hours later. Went to start it yesterday and all it does is crank, never catches. Tried again this morning same thing. Can't figure out if it's spark or fuel.

New tires 12/28/04 and new air bags in front as well as tranny flush 5/05

Just needs a good wax job.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:34 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Your backfire problem could be something as simple as timing, have it checked. Although if you have a complete tune up done that should solve that possibility. If the generator is an Onan, try holding the switch down in the off position for 5-10 seconds before starting. Not sure exactly what it does, but sometimes it then causes the gen to start right up without excessive cranking.

BTW, congrats on the "new to you" acquisition. I'm sure you will have many wonderful adventures with it.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:53 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kazoo Tom:
Your backfire problem could be something as simple as timing, have it checked. Although if you have a complete tune up done that should solve that possibility. If the generator is an Onan, try holding the switch down in the off position for 5-10 seconds before starting. Not sure exactly what it does, but sometimes it then causes the gen to start right up without excessive cranking.

BTW, congrats on the "new to you" acquisition. I'm sure you will have many wonderful adventures with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tried holding switch in Stop position for at least 10 seconds and still no luck. Spins like crazy, just doesn't catch. Don't smell gas, so don't know if it's flooded or not. Was going to pull plug tonite and see what shape it's in.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:52 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Genny will not get gas if tank is near 1/4 or less.... -check fuel pump and filter.

ps- only available from Onan I believe.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:25 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by troth:
Genny will not get gas if tank is near 1/4 or less.... -check fuel pump and filter.

ps- only available from Onan I believe.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have a full tank of gas. Thought I might pop gas line off at genny and see if there's any flow, then check spark plug.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:31 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Sounds good Romer1. Yeah, just disconnect fuel line prior to carb and crank it over; if no fuel, likely it's the filter (if coach has sat at dealer's lot for awhile). If filter is OK, you might get lucky & find that you have one of the older "rebuildable" electric fuel pumps (you can buy replacement rubber bladders for the pump).
Old 06-19-2006, 10:35 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by troth:
Sounds good Romer1. Yeah, just disconnect fuel line prior to carb and crank it over; if no fuel, likely it's the filter (if coach has sat at dealer's lot for awhile). If filter is OK, you might get lucky & find that you have one of the older "rebuildable" electric fuel pumps (you can buy replacement rubber bladders for the pump). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only sat at dealer for about 2 weeks. Don't know how long previous owner let it sit/how much gas was in tank before dealer filled it. Seems strnge it worked when we first looked at it and again Saturday for the hundred mile trip home, shut it off for a couple hours, then fired it up again OK, then nothing yesterday.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:16 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Sounds good Romer1. Yeah, just disconnect fuel line prior to carb and crank it over; if no fuel, likely it's the filter (if coach has sat at dealer's lot for awhile). If filter is OK, you might get lucky & find that you have one of the older "rebuildable" electric fuel pumps (you can buy replacement rubber bladders for the pump). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Checked it last night. Disconnected fuel hose where it attaches to genny, no flow. Where do I find the fuel filter?