Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-24-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Exclamation 1972 Winnebago brave, won't turn over

Hey, new to the forums

1972 Winnebago freshly charged battery put in. It ran out only 2 weeks ago. I had been driving it every day before that with no issues. Charged the battery an now it just makes a ticking sound but won't start even when I push the gas. I had a 1972 international before and when it did the same thing I would just put a bit of gas in the carb and it would go, but that did nothing in this case.

Any suggestions? If it means anything I did not hook up the accessory battery as I don't use them and don't want to buy a new one.

If this post is in the wrong spot feel free to move it
Allen B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Have you tried cleaning your battery wires especially the ground wire where it bolts to the frame. Also look for any bulges or damaged spots in both wires. They may not be your problem but are a good place to start.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I am not an expert in this area ... but it is my understanding that you need both decent voltage and adequate amperage to make the starter work ...

... you need voltage to energize the solenoid on the starter ... and amps to turn the starter over ... Sounds to me like you have either "low voltage" arriving at the starter or low amperage ... maybe both
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:57 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen B View Post
Hey, new to the forums

1972 Winnebago freshly charged battery put in. It ran out only 2 weeks ago. I had been driving it every day before that with no issues. Charged the battery an now it just makes a ticking sound but won't start even when I push the gas. I had a 1972 international before and when it did the same thing I would just put a bit of gas in the carb and it would go, but that did nothing in this case.

Any suggestions? If it means anything I did not hook up the accessory battery as I don't use them and don't want to buy a new one.

It is entirely possible that the new battery went bad. Have you tried simply jump starting the RV from a running vehicle?
Old 07-25-2014, 12:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
It is entirely possible that the new battery went bad. Have you tried simply jump starting the RV from a running vehicle?
If that works then your battery is either bad or you have a bad parasitic drain on your battery. There can be quite a parasitic drain on batteries in motorhomes. Do you have a disconnect switch on your engine battery?

If that doesn't work then the battery is not likely to be the problem ... and you have a bad cable someplace or the solenoid or starter itself is bad.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I doubt if any connection came loose just sitting there. It most likely is either a bad battery, or simply a loose connection between the battery terminals and the cables that run to it. The ticking sound usually means low current (amperage) at the starter solenoid and in my over 50 years of auto and truck repair, I'll bet 90% of these problems come from a loose battery terminal connection if the battery has been removed and charged.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen B View Post
Hey, new to the forums

Is the engine turning over? Or is the stater solenoid doing the ticking? I'm a little confused about the way you worded everything. More info will be a great help thanks Robert.
Freestyle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Ok my bad a read the heading again it was the whole it ran out and putting gas in the carb.
Freestyle21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brave, winnebago