Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2009, 05:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We are considering buying a new Tour. Does anyone have any experience with this unit? We would like to know the pros and cons of this unit. Any replies will be greatly appreciated.
newk72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I purchased a new 2008 Itasca Ellipse (Winnebego Tour equivelent) and had nothing but grief with it. Multiple chassis and engine problems, many coach problems that I am having trouble getting my dealer to fix. Overall the workmanship and quality control is poor many of the third party systems (ie awnings, side cams seem to be made to Winnebego specs and are hardly functional. The coach is very noisy inside with the creaks, groans and rattles.If I were to do it again I would seriously consider Newmar products.
Applejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We just bought a Tour this summer that was a 2007 leftover. We've taken it out from NJ to Yellowstone and then down to a TN/NC trip.

Both my wife and I love the floorplan (40TD). With our boys growing we needed more room and the overlapping slide outs really open up the living area. NO major problems whatsoever with the coach.

Freightliner chassis drives smooth as silk with plenty of power climbing the Rockies. No problems with the Cummins engine.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Newk72, I too own a 2007 Tour FD45. We purchased it new in 11/07. We love the floor plan and Winnebago could not have been more accomadating with the isssues that we had with the coach. We put 17K miles on it the first year and are about to head to Fla. next month and AZ & CO the end of March. We took an extended trip out west last spring/summer and on way back to South Carolina stopped in Forest City, IA and had the factory boys fix or correct all the issues that we had with the coach. Must admit that some of the issues we encountered were self inflicted as we are first time RVers. Sorry to hear Applejack is so dissatisfied with his coach. Quite frankly my Tour rides better and quieter than my car (Ford Explorer). We have enjoyed our Tour and would buy the same coach again in a heart beat.

Applejack,
Has Winnebago not taken care of any issues that you have had with your coach. Winnebago pickup the cost of a couple item for me that were out of warranty. Would be interested in hearing your story.
NCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank all of you for the replies. The unit we are looking at is a 40WD. Any additional input will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:59 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

We hve the 2008 Tour 40WD and are very happy with this unit. We were in Houston,Texas during"Ike" and never experienced any leaks or damage of any kind.

we are very happy with this motorhome and would buy again.we have owned motorhomes for thirty years and this is by far the very best coach we have ever bought. Our other units have been 2 winnebagos, Allegro (Tiffen) 3 Damon and now this excellent coach. Our dealer has been very helpful the last few years with the Damon units and there for we bought this unit at the same dealer.

We love this floor plan and have no complaints. Hope this helps with your purchase.

JoAnn & John Rackley
2008 Tour 40 WD
2008 Saturn OutLook
Shilo Rose (7 mo.Yellow Lab
John Rackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2008 Tour 40TD we bought last Feb. We live in it fulltime and have about 12,000 miles on it so far. We have owned several RVs (including an earlier motorhome), and this is by far the best unit we have ever had. Very few minor issues which were quickly taken care of by our dealer (Lichtsinn in Forest City) or Winnebago. We have many friends with other coaches (included much higher cost units) and most of them think ours is nicer and better engineered. The Cummins 400 is great and we get about 9 mpg (at about 60mpg) routinely pulling a dingy car.

We would buy another Tour and Winnebago without hesitation. Good luck on your decision.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:18 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Marshall & Barbara,

We bought a new 08 Tour 40WD in late October and love it. We are having a few things taken care of by our dealer. But we are extremely happy with the coach. We just went to the RV Supershow in Tampa yesterday and we both agree that the model we have is the one for us.

So far we have had one trip with our two sons (ages 24 and 26) and another with our daughter and son-in-law. We had plenty of room with the Rest Easy and the sofa bed. There is plenty of room at the table. In fact, we can easily sit 4 at the table without bringing out the extra chairs and have played games with 6 at the table.

I think you would be very happy with the 40WD.
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:36 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

3 days ago I visited Altmans rv service dept. with a question.
while there I walked their for sale lot. The Tour I went into was really nice, but what got my attention on the outside of each new unit was a price list of the coach and a big 40% off with the new price on the bottom of each sheet.
A sign of the times.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:26 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

We've had our Ellipse for nearly two years now and have spent about half that time living and traveling in it. It's our first RV and we love it. It did take the first year to get the bugs worked out but Winnie was very supportive in getting things fixed.

Newmar makes a wonderful product but aren't they at a higher price point?

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:35 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks again to all that have responded. I am confident now we would be happy with a new Tour. We will be looking at one at a dealer not too far from us, about 170 miles. Close in Texas terms. Again thank you all. I will report the results after we have met with the dealer.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally posted by newk72:
Thanks again to all that have responded. I am confident now we would be happy with a new Tour. We will be looking at one at a dealer not too far from us, about 170 miles. Close in Texas terms. Again thank you all. I will report the results after we have met with the dealer.
I was at the Tampa Super show last Friday and was checking out the 09 Tours with some friends. A surprising number of 07 and 08 owners were there singing very high praises about their Tours.

When compared to the Half Million Dollar and up coaches the interior fit and finish of the Tour is in many ways superior. No fisheye in the laquer fewer knife edges on the cabinetry and counters, etc. The only real detraction is the use of crome drawer slides on the bedroom doors on some floorplans.

Inquire about any Winnebago Incentives available this week and about dealer matching. There may be up to $12,000 available on some coaches so I have heard but not sure if that ends by close of business today.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:30 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We bought an '08 Tour 40TD in November of last year. It had been on the lot since early in the product year and the price was drastically reduced. We had been shopping all over the great USofA for this coach, it was our dream. We found it 450 miles from home. We bought it that day. We couldn't even take it home for a month but at that price it wouldn't sit there long. We HAVE had a few problems, the batteries were bad and a few other minor bugs that I suppose could be expected. We have gotten them all fixed as they came up. Winnebago has been very responsive and have found a dealer near us that is willing to do the warrenty work, even though we didn't buy from them. Our longest stay to date has only been 10 days but it is very comfortable, lots of living, storage and driving room. It drives great, smooth and quiet. Rattles are a minimum but you must remember that its a whole house moving at 55 mph!Something is going to move and make a noise now and then.
This is only our second MH and we absolutly love it, wouldn't hesitate to buy it all over again.
We'll be fulltime in 2011 in our Tour!
mikenmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:31 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Might want to check the post on the Itasca/Winnie roof problems Mine blew off twice very poor workmanship and design on the roof and no help from the factory
kscouple52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:29 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

It sure is nice to hear from someone that is very happy with their purchase. If you are that happy now, I think you remain satisfied and a happy camper.
I am about to do the same thing and sure hope I am as satisfied with the one. I have had new coaches before and it has been a hassel in the past for the first year or two. I always said I would never do it again, I would buy lightly used.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:55 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Newk72

Check out this web site. KingRV.com,click on Rv for sale. They have one on there, don't know if its the model you want ..but you can deal on this one... Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

We did the deal. The unit is a 09 tour WD. After an exausting search, we found one close to home equipted the way we wanted. They beat us down a bit on our orphan coach which we expected. I guess now we will be joining the great Winnebago family. Again thanks to all who replied. You all have been very helpful.

Marshall & Barb
Old 02-15-2009, 04:14 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

That is great news! I think you will love your Tour as much as we do!

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:00 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Congratulations Marshall and Barb on your new coach. I am sure you will love it. After going to the Tampa Supershow in January, my wife and I are convinced that we have the right coach for us. We really love it.
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote