Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2010, 07:08 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewoodpaul View Post
Could you explain the part about your kids getting sick? been motorhoming since 1974, never had that problem, please elaborate. Dont remember my 3 kids getting sick from the rigs.
I would suspect there is an out gassing of "FORMALDEHYDE". Yep, the same stuff used to EMBALM bodies. But, it is use in just about all the products used to finish the inside of you RV. Glue is the big one. Particle board, paneling, carpet you name it. Once in a confined space with a little heat and bingo you have out gassing. Some symptoms are sore throat, head ache, nausea etc.

I have some experience with this as I had a house with urea-formaldehyde foam insulation and had a heck of a time getting it sold under the IBM MIL when I moved to Austin, TX from Rochester, MN.

The only solution is to have it open and have a lot of air movement. You might try an ozone generator.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:51 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Alan,

I know you feel like Winnebago should fix all these things, but the propane issue seems like you'd want to get in there and do some investigating...you know- the old soapy water in a spray bottle thing. Is it bad enough so that the leak detector is going off, or is that not working too?

I am a very satisfied Winnebago owner- as are others here, keep your chin up..yours is a very good looking rig. I have an '08 Sightseer 35-J. The bunk beds are a hit with our grand kids. Where do you like to camp? We are on the west coast.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:41 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

We've never left our vents open, and never felt or smelled a need to. Leaving vents open 24\7\365 has to make heating problematic and expensive! Of course, leaving vents cracked in storage makes a lot of sense. We DID learn that having the rear vent open under certain wind conditions could draw black tank fumes inside from the tank roof vent. And many do recommend opening a window, door, or vent when moving the slides out or in.

Formaldehyde off-gassing is a very real problem in many cheaply built RVs, like the infamous FEMA trailers, but much less common in higher quality rigs. I've not heard of it being much of a problem in modern Winnies except with individuals with known allergies or formaldehyde sensitivities. My DW has many allergies and breathing problems, including formaldehyde (she was a chemistry teacher, so very familiar with it!). But she has never had any problems in our Winnebago.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

WOW, i have always been very,very,sat with winnie and have recomended them to others. I hope winnie isnt changing for the worse. IMO, no one should have to drive all the way back to the factory.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:40 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsr View Post
WOW, i have always been very,very,sat with winnie and have recomended them to others. I hope winnie isnt changing for the worse. IMO, no one should have to drive all the way back to the factory.

I have to agree that one shouldn't have to drive back to the factory, but I personally would if I had an incompetant dealer and not much hope of getting my issues resolved locally.

It would be great if every dealership had a good repair center, but sadly that doesn't seem to be the case with a lot of dealerships.

Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Very interesting and informative thread here...

One of the reasons we went with a Winnebago, is *because* of our proximity to the factory. It's about 350 miles from us. Certainly not a hop, skip and a jump; but easily do-able in less than a day. We bought a 2003 unit, because a new unit wasn't in the budget. But we do expect a few problems--this thing goes rattling down the road, after all.

In the last three weeks, I've spoken to Winnebago Customer Service three times...two of them were before I bought a Winnebago product, and I told the support person as much. They were extremely helpful, and I would go so far as to say that they helped convince me that Winnebago was the right unit for us.

It's unfortunate about new units having all kinds of problems though--that should not be happening. I think if it were me who owned such a unit, I would find a way to get it back to the factory and simply leave it there until it was fixed. It can't be much worse than frequent trips back to a less-than-competent dealer, or repeated trips back to have the same problem(s) addressed. In the end, it may actually save you time and frustration.

TB
tcbetka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:25 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Adventurer POS

In answer to your questions I bought a 2008 Adventurer and have been very safisified with it, we had a 1994 Vectra before and had minor problems with it, but wanted to try a new one and put all the miles on ourselves. We had a few minor problems which were taken care of by our dealer without creating any new problems. We have been back to the factory for the WIT convention and discovered a front axel fluid leak (minor) but since we were there decided to get fixed at the factory. They got it in for us got it fixed and out the door in one day. Also while in there they fixed couple of minor things they noticed and checked all the seams fixing a couple places that they thought might not be up to standards and did not charge a penny. Since then have only had a minor problem with a slide not wanting to stay snugged up and when I called them they gave me a suggestion of recycling and holding switch down for 5-10 seconds to purge possible air bubble and we were able to complete trip without any further problem and none since then. MY dealing with Winnebago Service has been great for the 2 years we have owned the Adventurer. No smell of formaldyhyde at all in our motorhome. Hope your situation improves. I agree with others if you are having these type problems I would schedule it back to the factory and get everything fixed right.

Mike Grimes
08 Adventurer 35L
CRV Toad, wife and one very spoiled schnauzer.
Mike Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

wouldnt a axle leak be covered/fixed by chassis mfg and not winnie factory?
Old 11-11-2010, 07:29 PM   #29
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
I would suspect there is an out gassing of "FORMALDEHYDE". Yep, the same stuff used to EMBALM bodies. But, it is use in just about all the products used to finish the inside of you RV. Glue is the big one. Particle board, paneling, carpet you name it. Once in a confined space with a little heat and bingo you have out gassing. Some symptoms are sore throat, head ache, nausea etc.

I have some experience with this as I had a house with urea-formaldehyde foam insulation and had a heck of a time getting it sold under the IBM MIL when I moved to Austin, TX from Rochester, MN.

The only solution is to have it open and have a lot of air movement. You might try an ozone generator.

In the original post at the bottom he mentioned a PROPANE leak making them all sick to their stomachs. Think that is what the OP meant by making the kids sick.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:49 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Thank you all for your advice. After my rig being back in for my punch list for over 30 days again, I go to pick it up and 2 slides are still malfunctioning. Imagine my frustration. I have been told off the record that it is probably a frame issue. I know many of you suggest I take it to the Winnebago manufacturing plant for repairs. How many of us can afford to take off from work and drive it 1,400 miles each way??
Alan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:54 AM   #31
Winnie-Wise

Hi Alan

Sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble with your Adventurer. I own a 2004 Adventurer and have had my share of problems including dealers not wanting to work on it because I bought the coach in Forest City. There was one dealer that helped me in Hendersonville, NC but they no longer service Winnebagos now. Usually I try to fix minor things myself.
I am on my third Winnebago and very happy with it. All the problems have been fixed at a dealer or Winnebago in Forest City.
You should take the coach to Forest City and I'm sure they will solve all your problems. Now you mentioned that you can't time off from work, well I'm sure you get a vacation whether 2 weeks or a month so plan a trip to Iowa to see the Amish or whatever and go to the Factory. If you know it or not you can make it to Forest City in 3 and if you drive slow 4 days for sure. They have a free campground there and every day you get your RV back so that you can stay in it. They are very nice at the factory and you can also take the tour of the plant. We have been there many times, in fact I had a problem with the slide out and it took them all day but they fixed it.
I'm sorry and maybe I'm tooting my horn but I like Winnebago products and their service, in fact I even call them when I want to work on the RV myself and they help me over the phone.
Lastly I would like to give you some advice and that is "you can get more bees with honey than with vinegar," so don't go the Lawyer route until you have exhausted all options like going to the Factory.
Just think they are still in business inspite of the economy.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:10 AM   #32
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
I have been told off the record that it is probably a frame issue ??
Which make and model motorhome chassis do you have? Do you know your wheelbase?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #33
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta_P View Post
We have a 2009 Itasca and I'm really disappointed by both the quality of the Coach and the treatment I have received from our dealership. Considering you can spend as much for a new RV as you do for a house, I really expected fewer problems and a bit more satisfaction from the dealer...

Sadly, the reason we purchased from them was so we would have a local dealership because we heard horror stories about not being able to get an appointment for service if you hadn't purchased from them, and there is no other convenient Winnebago Dealership close by... I can't believe a company as big as Winnebago would allow this type of business practice by one of their dealerships. They are a disgrace to the entire company, and unfortunately, because they represent Winnebago, they have also tarnished my image of Winnebago as well...
The motor home dealer in Tulsa, Ok has done that to me twice. In 1994 when they were a Fleetwood dealer they replaced a delaminated door under warranty then told me never to bring the coach back to them since I didn't purchase from them (when I tried to purchase from them the sales manager got real nasty and said to take their offer or leave it, so I left it). In 2005 they had changed to Winnebago and I had to go back for warranty work since my selling dealer had sold out and they quit handling RVs. (Again I had tried to buy from them but after giving the salesman my "want" list in person and requesting a selling price he never called back, and I left a message twice for him). At this time the service manager told me they could only do 3 warranty items per visit and my appointment would always be at the bottom of the list since I didn't purchase from them (took 3 weeks to do 4 1/2 hours work with the only replacement part being a tail lens ).
I questioned Winnebago later while at Forest City for more warranty work and was told they had no say-so whatsoever about how their dealers ran their business since they were a private organization. I told them that if the dealer wanted RVs to sell then Winnebago should have something to say about how the dealer represents the Company. Undoubtedly nothing has changed in the last several years, if not maybe gotten worse.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
Thank you all for your advice. After my rig being back in for my punch list for over 30 days again, I go to pick it up and 2 slides are still malfunctioning. Imagine my frustration. I have been told off the record that it is probably a frame issue. I know many of you suggest I take it to the Winnebago manufacturing plant for repairs. How many of us can afford to take off from work and drive it 1,400 miles each way??

cmon Lets get real,if you can afford a new mtr. home you got to be able to afford to take a few days off of work and get it fixed right and get it to Forest City, the money and time lost is well worth it if you can save the grief you have expressed on this site.It seems you are out of options.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:16 PM   #35
Winnie-Wise

I too agree, take a vacation from work and go to the factory. They will fix it right. I live over 1400 miles and have been there 4 times. You won't regret it and probably will wonder why you didn't go sooner.
The Grand National Rally is a great time to visit Forest City, the factory, and learn a lot from the seminars available during the GNR. If you do, let us know how it went.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #36
Winnie-Wise

Never said where you are but Beckleys RV in Thurmont MD does excellent warranty work.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #37
Winnie-Wise

lakewoodpaul and jerryj. Are you guys serious? If, when you took your car in for service, they told you to take a vacation and drive 1,000 miles and have the factory work on it, you'd be happy and be an evangelist for that manufacturer and keep buying their cars? I find that impossible to believe.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:18 PM   #38
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry J View Post
I too agree, take a vacation from work and go to the factory. They will fix it right. I live over 1400 miles and have been there 4 times. You won't regret it and probably will wonder why you didn't go sooner.
The Grand National Rally is a great time to visit Forest City, the factory, and learn a lot from the seminars available during the GNR. If you do, let us know how it went.
Holy Moly you had to go to the factory four times????

That's 5400 miles of driving for service work. Is that some sort of record?

Actually your RV must be in pretty good shape to travel that far for service. If it was anything serious you wouldn't have made it.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #39
Winnie-Wise

Didn't have to go, just go to the GNR each year. Motorhomes are for traveling so we travel. About 20,000 a year. We are in Arizona now and not for service. We do have a very good dealer that we go to that is close by. Hopefully some day you are able to enjoy your motorhome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Holy Moly you had to go to the factory four times????
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:50 PM   #40
Winnie-Wise

I too have been to the factory a number of times but it is usually part of a trip out West or North. In fact last summer when I went to Alaska I stopped at the factory to have my hood realigned as I had leaned on bracket and got it out of adjustment.
Since he has a slide problem and is not getting the service from a local dealer I thought it might be a good idea for him to go to the factory just to get him some piece of mind.
Just think he could go to the factory and on the way stop at HWH in Moscow, IA to check out his jacks and after leaving the factory in Forest City go to the Mall of America and play with the Legos there (3 floors worth).

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote