Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

'08 Tour Questions

We've had our Tour now for almost a year, most of the bugs are worked out in anticipation of our 2011 departure date from this life.
A couple of questions this forum might be able to answer for me...
How can you put some water purifier into the freshwater tank? Even the Winnebago dealer/tech didn't know. There is no access, other then the H2O filter, but seems like there should be a way to directly insert it.
Why do the auxillary defroster fans both angle towards to passenger side? There hasn't been a need for them yet but it seems they would only blow the passenger side of the winshield. They are fixed in that position permanently.
When I plug into shore power, I get a 0 amp reading on the 'Progressive' Surge meter. (It shows no error message) It takes 1-2 minutes before shore power is received to the MH. Is this normal and why does this happen if so?
This is a question for the future.. What happens if the generator is running and you plug into shore power, and vice versa.

Thanks for any responses, I find the best info is from experienced people, so I have to ask!
Mike and Monette Hopton
2008 Tour w/ 2007 Hyundai
No Kids, No Pets, No Debt!
mikenmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:50 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Tour Questions

First of all, I hope you are not departing from this life, only the stick house lifestyle.

I use a small hand opreated transfer pump fitted with a hose connection on the outflow end. Hook this up to the fresh water inlet on the coach. Others just fill the fresh water hose with bleach or other water freshner and either gravity flow it into the tank or connect it to a hydrant and trun the water on for a few seconds.

The defroster fans should be positioned so that they blow on both sides of the windshield. You may need to unscrew the mounting base from the overhead and reposition it.

My surge guard has a 2 to 3 minute delay.

The transfer switch should take care of pluging into shore power with the generator running and vice versa. However, these switches are famous for failing causing the switch to burn up.

I am by no means an expert, and I am sure others with more experience can do a better job in answering your questions.
newk72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We also have a Tour and it has served us very well for the last 18 months while we have fulltimed.

I pour bleach into the empty hose and then use the water pressure to flow it into the water tank. Very easy to do.

I also have a Progressive surge system and a minute or so delay is normal as it checks out the power to make sure it is OK. It has worked well and has protected us on at least 2 occasions when the power was faulty.

Good luck!

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenmo View Post
We've had our Tour now for almost a year, most of the bugs are worked out in anticipation of our 2011 departure date from this life.
A couple of questions this forum might be able to answer for me...
How can you put some water purifier into the freshwater tank? Even the Winnebago dealer/tech didn't know. There is no access, other then the H2O filter, but seems like there should be a way to directly insert it.
Why do the auxillary defroster fans both angle towards to passenger side? There hasn't been a need for them yet but it seems they would only blow the passenger side of the winshield. They are fixed in that position permanently.
When I plug into shore power, I get a 0 amp reading on the 'Progressive' Surge meter. (It shows no error message) It takes 1-2 minutes before shore power is received to the MH. Is this normal and why does this happen if so?
This is a question for the future.. What happens if the generator is running and you plug into shore power, and vice versa.

Thanks for any responses, I find the best info is from experienced people, so I have to ask!
Mike and Monette Hopton
2008 Tour w/ 2007 Hyundai
No Kids, No Pets, No Debt!
if you have the winterizing feature for adding rv antifreeze to your moho, you can suck a bleach and water mixture into your fresh water tank from a bucket or other container by using the water pump.
i use 21 oz of bleach in my 80 gallon fresh water tank twice a year.
turn off the water supply to your sink drinking water filter prior to chlorinating the tank.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Everyone is talking about sanitizing their water tank. Is this water drinkable? or is it just to clean the tank? This is our first motorhome, 2008 Tour WD. Just getting it in a couple of weeks after all paperwork, maintenance, etc is done. Can't wait to get on that road!
sjsmith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

All good information. We get our 2009 Tour 40TD in about ten days.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
if you have the winterizing feature for adding rv antifreeze to your moho, you can suck a bleach and water mixture into your fresh water tank from a bucket or other container by using the water pump.
i use 21 oz of bleach in my 80 gallon fresh water tank twice a year.
turn off the water supply to your sink drinking water filter prior to chlorinating the tank.
Only if you leave the selector valve on tank fill while running the pump.
forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsmith3 View Post
Everyone is talking about sanitizing their water tank. Is this water drinkable? or is it just to clean the tank? This is our first motorhome, 2008 Tour WD. Just getting it in a couple of weeks after all paperwork, maintenance, etc is done. Can't wait to get on that road!
the fresh water tank is potable water, supposed to be drinkable. in my moho we use the fresh water for showers, washing dishes, and such right out of the tank. there is a small fixture at the kitchen sink for dispensing filtered drinking water for drinking and making ice cubes. we use the filtered water for brushing our teeth also.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all for the feed back on fresh water sanitizing. I poured some beach into the hose before filling and it worked fine. Tried the water for taste also and couldn't taste any different but then I put a few drops of bleach in my water bottle when I fill from streams while trail running.
I'm posting another ? today. Hope I get as good of responses on it!
mikenmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:14 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...%20Systems.pdf Here is the website for Winnebago Service tips that shows the water tank purification process. It indicates to pour a bleach solution into the tank, but that is not an option in our 2008 Vectra. Pouring the proper amount of bleach into the intake water hose is one way or you can unscrew the water filter housing, remove the filter and pour the proper bleach amount in there, replace the housing and fill the tank.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:48 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks so much eveyone for all your help. Get our coach in 2 weeks. 08 Tour, can't wait.
sjsmith3 is offline   Reply With Quote