Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2006, 04:38 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I had the opportunity to check out a new 2007 over the weekend. One thing that appears to be new is that Winnebago has installed slide locks at the top of the larger slides to lock them in either the in or out positions. They are really impressive and make a satisfying thunk when the locking pin engages or disengages. Unfortunately on the 38J that I was interested in someone had parked the rig on a downhill slope and not put down the levelers. Then they ran out the slides and locked them. The salesman could not get the large living roon slide to disengage the lock. He even moved the rig to a more level place and put down the jacks. It still would not disengage! I wonder how you override the lock manually??? There must be a way to do it to keep you from becoming stranded in some campground. By the way, we had the motor and the generator running to make sure that we had plenty of electricity to power the solenoid.

Another question that I have is about the black electrical something that I found. It is in the compartment to the left of the entry door whare the water drain, pump and winterization kit are. On the upper left side there is a box that looked to be 6 or 8 inches high and a foot or so long that had a label from Progressive Dynamics(I'm not sure of this name due to short term memory loss). Does Winnebago install a whole rig surge suppressor or voltage shut off if the voltage drops too low? I was wondering if this is what I was seeing. Maybe it was the control box for the electric awning....

Anyway, it was a nice rig. Now I want to see a new 2007 in the Itasca Suncruiser.

Doug
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 04:38 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I had the opportunity to check out a new 2007 over the weekend. One thing that appears to be new is that Winnebago has installed slide locks at the top of the larger slides to lock them in either the in or out positions. They are really impressive and make a satisfying thunk when the locking pin engages or disengages. Unfortunately on the 38J that I was interested in someone had parked the rig on a downhill slope and not put down the levelers. Then they ran out the slides and locked them. The salesman could not get the large living roon slide to disengage the lock. He even moved the rig to a more level place and put down the jacks. It still would not disengage! I wonder how you override the lock manually??? There must be a way to do it to keep you from becoming stranded in some campground. By the way, we had the motor and the generator running to make sure that we had plenty of electricity to power the solenoid.

Another question that I have is about the black electrical something that I found. It is in the compartment to the left of the entry door whare the water drain, pump and winterization kit are. On the upper left side there is a box that looked to be 6 or 8 inches high and a foot or so long that had a label from Progressive Dynamics(I'm not sure of this name due to short term memory loss). Does Winnebago install a whole rig surge suppressor or voltage shut off if the voltage drops too low? I was wondering if this is what I was seeing. Maybe it was the control box for the electric awning....

Anyway, it was a nice rig. Now I want to see a new 2007 in the Itasca Suncruiser.

Doug
Old 06-12-2006, 05:02 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

The Progressive Dynamics black box is the Auto Transfer Relay System. This automatically switches your coach from shore power to generator power so both will not be connected at the same time.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 05:16 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Thanks, Tom.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:05 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Tom:

I think the transfer switch is the silver box in the electrical compartment where the 50 amp cord comes out. I think it is labeled transfer switch.

Doug
Old 06-12-2006, 07:11 AM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

Doug, I think you are closer....the transfer switch would most likely be in the electrical area,mine is in fact silver and labeled "transfer switch".

On the curb side and shaped like you're describing would almost have to be the awning controller.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:00 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
Doug, I think you are closer....the transfer switch would most likely be in the electrical area,mine is in fact silver and labeled "transfer switch".

On the curb side and shaped like you're describing would almost have to be the awning controller. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, I believe this is correct....the auto transfer switch is in a metal box that is NOT black...I know...I just had mine replaced.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

The new Progressive Dynamics 50amp transfer switch are black.

See: Progressive Dynamics 50amp relay

But, the transfer switch is usually located where the 50amp shore power line enters. This could be the converter but I don't think they are black. Did this have a fan in it???
Old 06-12-2006, 12:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The auto awning control unit is also in that compartment. Ours is mounted on the compartment ceiling near the side by the door.
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 01:42 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

If it was indeed labeled "Progressive Dynamics" it would not be an awning control, although that is a good guess considering the location.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:15 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

As I said earlier, I won't swear to the name on the black box. It was definitely running along the upper left part of the compartment and it was at least 50% longer than it was tall or wide. There was a much smaller box, that I think was the awning controller, on the lower right side of the same compartment.

Doug

P.S. I still haven't heard any ideas about how to manually release the locking solenoid that was keeping the slide out - out.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:24 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

The only way to have the slide lock disengage is to hotwire the motor. We have a brand new 38T we brought home from Lewis RV in Dayton. A week later we were getting ready to leave for Niagara on our maiden voyage and the slide wouldn't come in. Bottom line NEVER engage the electonic locks when the slide is out. Once engaged it will not allow the relay to send power to the retract solenoid of the hydrolic pump. Tech support had us hotwire the motor which is usually in an overhead storage area directly under where the lock is located. He had us use a 12 volt battery from a screwdriver to do it. End result was Winnebago had roadside service out to try to manually retract the slide, they broke the manual retract bolt and wanted to drain the hydrolic system. The whole hydrolic system was messed up, when we hit the retract button on the slide the right side leveling jacks came down. In the end roadside pushed the slide closed while my husband held his finger on the retract button as the motor sounded like it was trying to operate. Two weeks later and 6 days from missing our second trip, they tell me the lock motor was broken and the microswitch faulty, but we STILL haven't gotten those "overnighted" parts from Winnebago. Love our new motorhome but are not "happy campers."
Birgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:52 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Birgit, may I suggest you try contacting Bryan Funke at Winnebago Owner Relations, ph 1-800-537-1885.
Or e-mail at "[email protected]".
Old 06-23-2006, 03:28 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks, I may have to go there if come Monday we still haven't been told it is ready to go.
Birgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:05 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Doug

What you are seeing is the DC to AC power inverter option. I have one in my 38J. My manual says the vendor is Dimensions Unlimited. It powers the front entertainment cabinet including the King-Dome satellite system.

Don

2010 GMC Terrain, Demco: Base plate, Excalibar II tow bar, and Sentry Deflector.
Don The Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:38 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Thanks, Don. I didn't think of that and didn't know where the inverter was. I should have put the two things together and figured it out!
Doug