Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Just saw this today in the RV traveller Mag. Does anyone have any info?
I have mine in for service and supposed to pick it up tomorrow. I'll ask and post.

Tom

"Winnebago is recalling 645 MY 2007-2008 Itasca Suncruiser and 2006-2008 Ellipse motor homes for failing to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108, "Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment." The rear and rear-side red reflectors are located above the 60-inch height limit. Non-standard side marker and reflector lights could reduce visibility of vehicles and increase the potential for a crash. Dealers will add reflex reflectors in compliant locations. The manufacturer has not yet provided an owner notification schedule."
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Just saw this today in the RV traveller Mag. Does anyone have any info?
I have mine in for service and supposed to pick it up tomorrow. I'll ask and post.

Tom

"Winnebago is recalling 645 MY 2007-2008 Itasca Suncruiser and 2006-2008 Ellipse motor homes for failing to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108, "Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment." The rear and rear-side red reflectors are located above the 60-inch height limit. Non-standard side marker and reflector lights could reduce visibility of vehicles and increase the potential for a crash. Dealers will add reflex reflectors in compliant locations. The manufacturer has not yet provided an owner notification schedule."
Old 11-19-2007, 06:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Tom

I have a 2008 Suncruiser and have not received this notice either. It is going in to the shop for service next week so I will be sure to ask the Service Manager about it. Thanks for the heads up!

Mike
Old 11-19-2007, 07:18 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fakrwee:
Dealers will add reflex reflectors in compliant locations. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This would be one recall I would not do with my unit. Who wants reflectors stuck on the sides of their motorhomes.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:31 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fakrwee:
Dealers will add reflex reflectors in compliant locations. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This would be one recall I would not do with my unit. Who wants reflectors stuck on the sides of their motorhomes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. No way I'm going to let them stick reflectors on the side. I know in what compliant locations they can stick their reflectors on.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:10 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Winnebago should/could spend more time correcting issues like roof seams, leaking basement storage, sub-standard windows, chipping paint, faulty chaissis, flaking/cracking disc rotors, just to name a few...
But NO they placed the reflectors/lights at the wrong height so lets fix those! Too funny....
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:52 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed/Full-time:
Winnebago should/could spend more time correcting issues like roof seams, leaking basement storage, sub-standard windows, chipping paint, faulty chaissis, flaking/cracking disc rotors, just to name a few...
But NO they placed the reflectors/lights at the wrong height so lets fix those! Too funny.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ed, that's not off topic, just wishfull thinking.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:36 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

If I'm reading the DOT regulation correctly. The rear side red marker must be within 15" off the ground to a max height of 60". The 3M conspicuity tape is beautiful stuff on a freight trailer but would be butt ugly on a MH. With all the neat LED rear and side marker lights, I think owners of these affected MH's would be better off complying with a DIY light installation.

One idea would be using the LED strip lighting along the back, lower body molding and then a foot or so along the side maybe at an angle. There are clear LED light strips that glow red so they wouldn't stand out too much in the day but light up nice at night.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

"The rear and rear-side red reflectors are located above the 60-inch height limit."
Gosh, I think they forgot to put any red side markers on my coach! Checked some pictures of an '07 too and no side red reflectors there either. It will be interesting to see what their "fix" is going to be. However, the rear tail lights do wrap around and are about 60" off the ground. Wonder why they won't qualify as marker lights also!!??
Old 11-21-2007, 02:32 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Meterman, your right. There are no rear side markers on mine 07. It will be interesting if and how they comply.

One thing I realy liked on mine are the rear top signal lights. People tend to give me more right of way when I flash the signal than on my last coach where the signal lights were down low.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:32 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Look at the taillight from the side at night with a flashlight. There is a buildt in reflector in the side of the light that is part of the taillight. This a reflector or it looks like one to me.
Exactly what is the issue? Is it no side reflector? I see one in my taillight. The Adventure and Suncruiser share the same type of light.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:41 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Boy Ed, did you ever hit the nail on the head. I couldn't agree with you more.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:43 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stevegd007:
Look at the taillight from the side at night with a flashlight. There is a built in reflector in the side of the light that is part of the taillight. This a reflector or it looks like one to me.
Exactly what is the issue? Is it no side reflector? I see one in my taillight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The DOT regulation is 350+ pages so please forgive me if I'm wrong. The side lights are to be a min. of 15" off the ground and a max. of 60". It appears to me that the amber side lights are within this parameter.

The reg. goes on to say that there must be a red side marker at the furthest point to the rear of the vehicle. This is normally satisfied with the rear taillight assembly and it is on my 04 Adventurer but only by an inch or so.

The problem is that the rear taillight requirement reads between 15" min to 72" max. Apparently, these two MH's sit a little higher and it puts the taillight assembly within the rear reg. of 72" but above the side requirement of 60"

Bottom line, it's simple to fix. Hopefully one of our IRV2 members will come up with a creative fix. I'm sure the factory would appreciate constructive ideas. If I drove at night, I'd probably add a few more lights.

Additional LED side and rear marker lights put almost no additional load on your electrical wires.

This this outfit provided this pdf. &lt;--- Warning large download of extremely boring reading.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:03 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Here is the factory fix for the recall. Not too much thought went into this one...
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/247...Q?vhost=travel
Old 12-05-2007, 06:52 PM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DonavonP:

Bottom line, it's simple to fix. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since your reflectors on the sides are 72" heighth instead of the required 60", I would be inclined to let the one foot difference ride. There would be no way I would want them to stick on reflectors on the side of my motorhome....

Look at the above link for the pictures of "the fix"....is that acceptable???? Looks like reflectors from my ATV double axle trailer!!!!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:00 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

I received a phone call from my dealer this week informing me of the recall. He explained what it was for and what they'd do to fix it. He said it wasn't urgent but could be handled at the next service but there's no way I'm letting them stick those things on my coach.
I do just about zero driving after dark so I'm not worried about it.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote