Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2006, 11:51 AM   #1
Administrator Emeritus

Greetings and Happy New Year to ALL!!

As the topic indicates,my new Vectra and I have been introduced and due in part to a rain soaked afternoon,I've taken a break from piddling with her.

First observations are of my first experience with the IFS and the Cummins....what a real kitty cat!!

IFS really seems to take away the "side to side" bounding through intersection turns,also really easy to feel the difference in the highway ride of the IFS and the old Journey.
First impression of the 400 on the interstate was that I was doing 65 pretty quick,just off the on ramp....Gotta watch out for those blue light specials!!

Storage underneath is not as bad as I feared,(from John C's LD visit),but I will definitely have to adapt the "really need it or leave it home" mentality.

Slide out tray in front compartment passenger compartment is height restricted.....really a head scratcher as to why that was done there.....

Dual fuel fills nice.....will get some use out of them,although we were able to use driver's side today....Dealer filled her up!!

Collapsible ladder storage up and out of way in top of compartment....swings out to allow ladder to slide out. Glad I got that option,as there's not a lot of room for my "Little Giant".

Awning controller is different than what John C's pics at LD showed....mine just has smaller black box with sensor override toggle on it,PDI tech thinks pot switches are in that little box though.

Tire info (XZA3's all around)shows max PSI on tire,but dealer was suprised to see weight sheet recommend 90 PSI on duals....Will get her weighed after loading and adjust accordingly.
Looked all over cabinets for weight slip,only to find it in plastic sleeve in black bag...

Overhead tv doesn't work with engine running,I need to alter that...In motion satelite and 9 yo daughter will not mix well without tv working....
Seems from PDI tech there's a wire on receptacle I need to remove.

Central Vac seems to be nice option....time will tell I guess...

Interior height not as drastic as I thought,although sure makes inside look bigger....

Corian countertop "trademark coin" on edge closest to couch....really a bonehead location,will have to investigate getting rid of that one....if you sit on couch and place drink to your left on counter,sure looks like drink will spill.

FL's new black on white gauges and the new FL info center....nice changes.

REALLY REALLY like the 32' flat in overhead.....(get that John C??),as well as the 20' flat on a slider in the back bedroom....Seems like Winnie hit a home run there...

REALLY DON'T LIKE the SIX REMOTES it takes to operate everything.....ended up labeling them this afternoon with a Dyno label maker.

Guess I'm off to BestBuy in the morning to grab me a DirecTV box.....
Interestingly enough,the KingDome controller was tracking and grabbing 119,but I didn't have anything to see it with....Seemed weird that was going on,guess ya don't need the receiver for it to work.

Guess I'll go read some of those manuals....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:51 AM   #2
Administrator Emeritus

Greetings and Happy New Year to ALL!!

As the topic indicates,my new Vectra and I have been introduced and due in part to a rain soaked afternoon,I've taken a break from piddling with her.

First observations are of my first experience with the IFS and the Cummins....what a real kitty cat!!

IFS really seems to take away the "side to side" bounding through intersection turns,also really easy to feel the difference in the highway ride of the IFS and the old Journey.
First impression of the 400 on the interstate was that I was doing 65 pretty quick,just off the on ramp....Gotta watch out for those blue light specials!!

Storage underneath is not as bad as I feared,(from John C's LD visit),but I will definitely have to adapt the "really need it or leave it home" mentality.

Slide out tray in front compartment passenger compartment is height restricted.....really a head scratcher as to why that was done there.....

Dual fuel fills nice.....will get some use out of them,although we were able to use driver's side today....Dealer filled her up!!

Collapsible ladder storage up and out of way in top of compartment....swings out to allow ladder to slide out. Glad I got that option,as there's not a lot of room for my "Little Giant".

Awning controller is different than what John C's pics at LD showed....mine just has smaller black box with sensor override toggle on it,PDI tech thinks pot switches are in that little box though.

Tire info (XZA3's all around)shows max PSI on tire,but dealer was suprised to see weight sheet recommend 90 PSI on duals....Will get her weighed after loading and adjust accordingly.
Looked all over cabinets for weight slip,only to find it in plastic sleeve in black bag...

Overhead tv doesn't work with engine running,I need to alter that...In motion satelite and 9 yo daughter will not mix well without tv working....
Seems from PDI tech there's a wire on receptacle I need to remove.

Central Vac seems to be nice option....time will tell I guess...

Interior height not as drastic as I thought,although sure makes inside look bigger....

Corian countertop "trademark coin" on edge closest to couch....really a bonehead location,will have to investigate getting rid of that one....if you sit on couch and place drink to your left on counter,sure looks like drink will spill.

FL's new black on white gauges and the new FL info center....nice changes.

REALLY REALLY like the 32' flat in overhead.....(get that John C??),as well as the 20' flat on a slider in the back bedroom....Seems like Winnie hit a home run there...

REALLY DON'T LIKE the SIX REMOTES it takes to operate everything.....ended up labeling them this afternoon with a Dyno label maker.

Guess I'm off to BestBuy in the morning to grab me a DirecTV box.....
Interestingly enough,the KingDome controller was tracking and grabbing 119,but I didn't have anything to see it with....Seemed weird that was going on,guess ya don't need the receiver for it to work.

Guess I'll go read some of those manuals....
Old 01-02-2006, 12:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Congrats on the new coach you sure wish it was summer again. Like you said on other post read,read read,an don't forget those warranty cards. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 01:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

WhooHaaaaaaaa! Congratulations on finally getting her home. Come on down to FL while there is still room.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

CONGRATS and all I can say is I wish I was in your shoes today!!. (51 days and counting!!). I recommend getting a Logitech Harmony universal remote (I have an H628). Easiest programmed remote I've ever done and will eliminate all your other remotes entirely. About $100. Take some pictures and post'em.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 01:23 PM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

Once that liquid sunshine stops I'll get some pics posted,other than the one from the dealer that's already in my gallery here....

I've been spending the evening filling out those warranty cards....

Just came home from Jacksonville resqguy....saw some rather large "humans" at our hotel as the Tennessee Titan football team was there....Pretty funny with security everywhere yesterday,like someone would want their autograph...
Old 01-02-2006, 03:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">REALLY REALLY like the 32' flat in overhead.....(get that John C??),as well as the 20' flat on a slider in the back bedroom....Seems like Winnie hit a home run there... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Oh stop it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">nterestingly enough,the KingDome controller was tracking and grabbing 119,but I didn't have anything to see it with....Seemed weird that was going on,guess ya don't need the receiver for it to work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>As a matter of fact this King Dome does have its own tuner. From what I've read it really eliminates a lot of the issues that dogged the KVH product. My only gripe (well I actually have two) with King Dome is their horrible documentation and rain-fade. Once the dome gets a heavy dew or has been rained on to where the water sticks and beads up performance will greatly suffer. King Dome sells a spray bottle of stuff that is supposed to minimize the problem however it is very hard to find and it is expensive (~$30); I used something called 303 and it helped a great deal.

Like 007 recommends, get those cards filled out and sent in. I also opted to buy the extended warranty on the furnace and A/C - it was inexpensive so I thought why not?

Nice report Bob!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 03:29 PM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
Greetings and Happy New Year to ALL!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>My OH my! A brandy new Vectra to play with, Outstanding! Congratulations and I wish you many miles and smiles.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 04:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Congratulations on your new baby. Wishing you many happy miles...
Old 01-02-2006, 06:29 PM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Meant to mention this earlier,but in my notes I was reading and I do remember seeing a master battery switch in the engine compartment,as well as a dash mounted switch.There's even a "master disconnect" switch by all the light switches on the entry step panel.
John C,the switch is what I have seen in marine apps and on fire apparatus I've driven,referred to as a "Boston switch"....
Wondering what the benefit of the switch is in the engine compartment?
Old 01-03-2006, 02:50 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
Wondering what the benefit of the switch is in the engine compartment? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I was thinking the switch was designed to prevent the chassis battery drain that has plagued many Winnie coaches while put up in storage. There are apparently many parasitic loads on the chassis batteries. Put the coach in storage and turn off the switch. The switch is not documented in my manual.

A service disconnect for maintenance could be another possibility as Neil mentions.

Old 01-03-2006, 03:19 AM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

After a (good)nights sleep,I agree with both of you,although John makes a good point with the well known battery drain issue..

Also....I forgot to mention my satisfaction with the side view cameras.
Turning on with the respective turn signals seems to work well....

Wheel cut makes a difference in maneuvering,that's a noticeable change from my Journey...

My buddy leaned over and turned up the volume on the rear view cam,said he wanted to hear the Cummins purring....
Old 01-03-2006, 11:12 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

Why do I remember getting a free year of WIT AND FMCA with my Journey?

Was at dealer this morning signing the MSO and dealership owner says I only get WIT....

Maybe a senior moment,but I'm almost certain the FMCA was a free year as well....

ON EDIT----I must be thinking about coachnet and WIT together....
Old 01-03-2006, 02:32 PM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

Forgot to mention that the dealer told me he happened to be standing on lot when Vectra came in.....Dealer said the Bennett driver really loved the IFS and the 400...

(Makes me want to see that data from Freightliner even more... )
Old 01-04-2006, 03:00 AM   #15
Administrator Emeritus

For you fans of the Wineguard satelite system that Winnebago switched "out of" after 2004,it appears,at least in my Supplemental Manual,that Winnebago has agreed to let them back in the door.

Wineguard's products are listed in the index of optional equipment manuals in the supplement.

No rain in forecast today, I might actually get something done with the coach.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:14 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Master switch was installed to prevent battery drain while in storage. Your unit will also have the Trik-L-Start factory installed, which is a real bonus. As far as warranty cards go, you do not need to send them in as Winnie registers all those items with each respective manufacturer when they receive the warranty registration card from the dealer. Only need to send if applying for extended manufacturer warranty.
And remember, the best thing for it is to use it!
zertrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:32 AM   #17
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zertrider:
Master switch was installed to prevent battery drain while in storage. Your unit will also have the Trik-L-Start factory installed, which is a real bonus. As far as warranty cards go, you do not need to send them in as Winnie registers all those items with each respective manufacturer when they receive the warranty registration card from the dealer. Only need to send if applying for extended manufacturer warranty.
And remember, the best thing for it is to use it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for that one....when I went by dealer's yesterday to sign a motor vehicle form we had forgotten,the dealer told me the same thing,even showed me the card he has to send back to Winnie in order for Winnie to do all the warranty registration.
Guess they'll "really" be notified now...

Went to BestBuy this morning and picked up my Directv receiver...

I agree on the "have to use it" advice too!!

Old 01-04-2006, 01:42 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Meant to mention this earlier,but in my notes I was reading and I do remember seeing a master battery switch in the engine compartment,as well as a dash mounted switch.There's even a "master disconnect" switch by all the light switches on the entry step panel.
John C,the switch is what I have seen in marine apps and on fire apparatus I've driven,referred to as a "Boston switch"....
Wondering what the benefit of the switch is in the engine compartment? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You will find the master switch for the chassis batteries (should be right near the batteries) very useful. In our 04 Journey (and yours should have been the same) we had the switch by the door next to the lights as well. It would turn off the coach batteries only (and that switch would not cut off all drains on the coach batteries). There was NO cutoff for the chassis batteries and every week or so while parked here in Florida I'd have to put the charger on. I eventually got a Battery Minder. Now with my HR, I have a chassis (and coach) complete cutoff switch in the battery bay. When we arrived here in Florida on Nov 1 I turned off the chassis batteries. Two days ago I checked them again with a multimeter and they were still 12.69. The engine has not been run and I did not put on the Battery Minder. With the Journey they would have been well below 12 by now. Since you have this cutoff, I'd strongly suggest using it when you are parked at home to avoid problems.

I also like the coach battery cutoff and may start using it when we are parked at home rather than keeping the AC connected. Given the experience I had with the Dimensions and the Trojans (boil over - then it happened when it was at the dealer for warranty work) I check the fluid level in two of the four batteries (4 x 6V) weekly so each battery is checked twice a month. The level hasn't changed in 4 months so I'm very pleased with the Interstate's and I assume you have them in your new baby as well.

Good luck and I wish you happy and trouble free miles for years and years.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:31 AM   #19
Administrator Emeritus

Finally had a nice day so I got the camera out and now there's a photo album of the outside of my coach posted on this site.

Question....where should I find the Trick-L-Charge?
I've been all over this coach now and can't find where it is.....
Old 01-05-2006, 12:55 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Bob - nice pictures! I'm surprised they mounted the side cam so low. Most of the side cams I saw on coaches at Lazydays were much higher. Some were attached to the bottom of the mirrors.

Your A&E awning controller is the same as mine - the wind speed adjustment is inside of the case and it is DIP switches you set for a particular speed.

I have the ladder option and I am SO glad I ordered it - you can buy a folding ladder for less but you don't get the extremely nifty case!

Please forgive me - I have to say the outside entertainment center looks pretty "goofy." It looked like an afterthought or perhaps the designers felt like it would waste too much space installed somewhere else.

You might need to call Winnie to find out where your Triklstart is installed. They could have mounted it almost anywhere; there is no reason that it needs to be in close proximity to the batteries.