Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

'06 Journey slide out problem

The rear slide of my journey has a white plastic bracket(?) that broke. It's what helps guide the slide out. It slides out with one side rubbing on the bottom of the slide and scratches the hard plastic at the bottom of the slide. Anyone have this problem? Know how to fix? I don't want to have to take it in for repair. I would like to try to fix myself. Thanks.
opolanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I got your email, but when I responded it said you was not receiving emails. I trird with out going thru the forum and it may have went thru. let me know.
mikf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

opolanco,
Is there any chance you could get a pic and post it to see if we've got the same system. If so, I might be able to help you. I've dealt with plastics for most of my life so, I might be able to give you some insight on how to do a DIY remedy.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:17 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Ok I will try to get a picture up as soon as I can. thanks
Old 09-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Ok I hope these pictures come thru. You can clearly see the difference in the pictures. The first one has the white pad to help the slide out glide. The second one doesn't have it and you can see where the bottom of the slide out rubbed on the metal where the pad is gone. My husband will try to fix it until we order the correct piece.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01526.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	14059   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01527.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	14060  

Old 09-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

You have obviously lost the nylon pad on that side. I would say you could fashion some supports so you can use a hydraulic jack to lift that side of the slide (slide extended...halfway perhaps) enough to replace the pad and repair the underside. Maybe some thin aluminum attached to the underside with some screws located on either side of the nylon pad.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks! We'll give it a shot.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
You have obviously lost the nylon pad on that side. I would say you could fashion some supports so you can use a hydraulic jack to lift that side of the slide (slide extended...halfway perhaps) enough to replace the pad and repair the underside. Maybe some thin aluminum attached to the underside with some screws located on either side of the nylon pad.
smlranger,
My thoughts exactly. Jack up that slide and put in a "slide rail" that should have been there in the first place from the factory. Even a 1/16th thick aluminum piece would work. Be careful, a 1/8th inch piece might be a bit too thick and cause the slide to bind at the top, although not likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opolanco View Post
Thanks! We'll give it a shot.

Opolanco,
Good choice partner, I like to see someone take on a repair like that. It helps you learn about your rig and how to take care of it. Now, as for the "plastic block" is concerned, there are a few types of plastic you can choose from to manufacture your replacement block. The best on the planet is "UHMW" Plastic. That stands for Ultra High Molecular Weight, NASA uses that stuff for high impact and abrasion resistance. Most likely over kill for your application. We used miles of that stuff for out fitting fire trucks for tools and rescue equipment etc. for years.

The next and most sensible stuff is: HDPE plastic. That's High Density Polyethylene plastic. It's half the cost and almost as strong in terms of impact and durability. You can get it at any plastic supplies outfit but, there might be a cheaper more fast way of attaining it. You see, almost all the "white Plastic" cutting boards sold in America are HDPE. It's the most widely used plastic in industry. If you look on the bottom of oil containers you buy at your auto parts store, you'll see HDPE on them, the same for a zillion other containers.

Anyway, just make sure you get the same thickness. As for cutting it, if you or anyone you know has a table saw, it cuts flawlessly. You can shape it, drill it, run threads in it, route the edges and more. You'll figure out how to attach it to where the original piece was. When done, although it's very slick stuff, lube it up with some good quality grease and, do the other side while your at it. Hope this helps.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:37 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

thanks for your help! we greatly appreciate it! Will let you know how it goes.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:00 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

opolanco, did you get the email I sent you? that is the exact problem I had with the nylon pad. contact these people and they will fix you up with the right parts. give them your vin number. ____________www.WINNEBAGOPARTS.com______________
"Parts for your Winnebago is our only business!"
Call us for personal service at 800-933-7742 M-F
8AM-5PM central time.....641-896-2222 outside USA
Renault/LeSharo technical assistance 641-896-2222
Mastercard, Visa & Discover..........UPS, FedEX
MOBILITY R.V., INC. HANLONTOWN, IOWA 50444
mikf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:21 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Yes I did get your email. I'm pretty sure I replied letting you know I got but I guess it didn't go through. Thank you very much for all your help. We haven't had a chance to work on it yet but I'll let you know how it goes.

Tags
journey, slide