Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-25-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

05'Journey - need cockpit organizer ideas

We recently upgraded from a 2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor gasser to a 05' Journey diesel. We really like the Journey for so many reasons. However, one thing we miss having is small storage areas in the driver/ passenger area. The HR had a glove compartment, wall pockets, and small console storage for pens, cupholders, and other 'stuff'. We always like have writing materials handy and a place to put small 'stuff'.

It's a little different since the cockpit is now also an entry and therefore the floor area must be kept clear of clutter. So, has anyone come up with an organizer system that doesn't interfere with access?

Again, we really, really like to coach. It rides great, it's quite up front, and it has loads of very nice features. We haven't even had a chance to overnight with it yet. Today we took it out for a 40 mile practice ride and it's first meal..... a 65 gallon top off at Love's!

While I have a captive audience, here's something that somewhat bothered my wife. Previously, the HR passenger seat had a nice side view window. Now, the screen door darkens the side view a bit. Has anyone else been bothered by the screen? If so, has anyone tried removing the top screen and replacing it with a framed screen that can be installed or removed for travel?

Appreciate any and all responses

Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Journey Screen

There is a roll-down screen available for the entry door. Try 3T's RV. Entry Door Screens

As far as pockets for pens, pencils, etc., I use a dash organizer velcroed to the left console.
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

We use a tall narrow basket between the passenger seat and wall for maps etc

We use a couple of flat baskets on the dash (we keep rubber anti-skid rubber stuff) under the baskets ...

We have the roll up screen in the entry door ... we bought it from 3T
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the good ideas! Wow, the roll up screen door looks like just the ticket. Are you happy with the quality of the door? Any problems with fit?

Joopy
Old 09-26-2011, 06:19 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

The screen is high quality.

After about 5 years it got so it was slow to retract and I had to do some maintenance ... works great again ...

Fixing Sticky Screen
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

From some excess cloth material my wife made a bag she hangs on her arm rest on the curb side. The bag contains her books, glasses, gum, pens, pencils, and other important stuff (almost like her purse!). I have a plastic box about the size of a loaf of bread that I keep on the floor between the drivers seat and the wall. I keep my fuel log book, pens, pencils, grease rag and really important junk in it. Maps and travel books we keep in an overhead cabinet but if we are using one it is normally on the floor between the two seats while traveling.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

We have a Journey 39K just like 1ciderdogs. We have a flip out drawer under radio which ends up holding Pilot/Flying J rewards cards, calculator, 12V phone charger. I keep a pen on the side panel in one of those plastic spring clips made for pens(Office Depot). On the floor next to left side wall is a small wastebasket. Wife has a small wicker basket on right side of her seat and I don't even want to know what is in there.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for more good storage ideas, and for the door fix link. The DW says 'go' on the new roll up door. I also liked the window shades on the 3 T site.

Joopy
Old 09-27-2011, 05:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

I found lots of fun gizmos and storage containers at Bed Bath and Beyond
Bob-Winnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:00 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have the 34Y and have two small drawers in the console for pens, pad, garage door opener and fuel cards. For larger items, I found a small fabric tote at Walmart that I placed to the left of the captains chair. It holds my fuel slips, a square container of tissues, my concealed carry weapon in a case and any other small items needed or picked up on the trip. I also have enough room in that area for a small trash can to hold empty Pepsi cans that I create while driving. I always have a small cooler between the seats with cold diet cherry Pepsi. I also have a flip down beverage holder to the left of the steering wheel. For that device, I picked up one of those drink holder organizers at Camping World that holds my cell phone, tire pressure monitoring receiver, and usually a pen. These are the ways I have made my cockpit area user friendly for myself.