Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

'05 Journey 39K Keyless entry replacement

After a less than satisfactory call to Winnebago Customer Support I crawled under the dash to look for the OEM module. According to the Front Wiring Diagram for the 39K the module should be under the dash mounted up behind or near the steering column. I was confronted with a solid mass of vent duct hoses and wire looms. I could neither see, nor reach, the horizontal surface the module is supposed to be attached to due to the congestion.

Before I start cutting the wire bundles free and disconnecting the vent ducts I would like to be sure the module is actually up there.

Has anyone actually done this conversion on an '05 Journey 39K? I know some models have the module in the driver side lower storage bay, that is not the case here.

I find it very hard to believe that Winnebago does not have written instructions for their technicians for this, but that is what I have found.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

SVTotem, If you remove the back plastic piece of the dash, you will be able to look straight down in the drivers left side. There is where my remote keyless entry control module is located.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

SVTotem,
I had a bunch of advice all typed out and, tried to link a PDF file for the wiring that would show you where it was but, as I investigated more, I found your rig IS totally different than the Vectra/Horizon. So, I went back and dug up the wiring diagram for your particular rig.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_148556.pdf

Now, if that link worked, your keyless entry module is shown in cross section C-6 of page 5. Just exactly how you get to it, can't help with that. Sammie's advice may hit the nail right on the head. Let us know how you come out on this.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Sammie, that was going to be my next step and I had hoped a 39k owner had found it there. I was waiting for responses before heading back to storage to tackle this again. My tablet is not showing signatures. What model do you have Sammie?

Fire Up, I appreciate the link but I already have that diagram. Actually, it is the only thing Winnebago Support had to refer to as well. Their interpretation of the drawing was that it is attached to the underside of the dash shelf that Sammie is referring to. No one at Winnebago had first hand experience or written guidance for this. The drawing also does not give info on the harness.

I will eventually sort this out and post details and photos for the next guy.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

My coach is a 2006 Winnebago Journey 36 G.

Sammie.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Sammie. I will take a look. Some 36 models seem to have it in the forward driver side lower bay.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

On my 39K it is pretty easy to remove the tan "hump" portion of the dash board. That might give you access to the area you need.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

It's not real hard to pull off the backside of the driverside dash. Only about five or six screws around the top and right side metal perimeter and then gently pry out the cover.

Sammie.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
It's not real hard to pull off the backside of the driverside dash. Only about five or six screws around the top and right side metal perimeter and then gently pry out the cover.

Sammie.
I think we are suggesting the same piece - on the windshield side of the dash instruments. Mine is tan - yours is black?
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post

Sammie.
Yep, I have done it before when replacing the info center. The question pertained to the location of the module and associated harness.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:13 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

No Bob. Mine is not black. It's tan like yours. I recently had it removed when installing my exhaust brake switch.

Sammie.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Sammie wins the prize! Now to figure out the harness.
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2352419012.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	49860  
Old 11-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Journey 39K Tri-Mark Keyless Entry Retrofit

The OEM keyless entry systems in older Winnebago’s are starting to fail and the equipment is no longer being manufactured. Winnebago has identified a replacement system and designed an adaptive harness to facilitate retrofitting the older SCS equipped coaches with the new module made by Tri-Mark. More background on this can be found in other forum threads as well as a recent WIT Magazine article.

Here is how the retrofit played out on my 2005 Journey 39K. I should point out that this coach is NOT equipped with a remote keypad.

The SCS Module on MY coach was P/N 151458-01-000 (earlier coaches may have another part number). To replace THIS module with the Tri-Mark module you will need the following parts: P/N 176367-01-000 Tri-Mark Keyless Entry & Cargo Lock System; P/N 176356-01-000 Wire Assembly Keyless Entry & Cargo Lock; and P/N 063912-02-000 Relay (Two relays are required, but you will reuse the one attached to the original wiring harness).

On the 39K, the SCS module is located forward of the dash beneath the large plastic cowl. When the cowl is removed you will see the module mounted face up in the forward-left portion of the opening. It is held in place by to screws.

Once the two screws are removed you can lift the module free of the dash area. Identify the connectors (2) at the end of the short harness and disconnect the module at those connectors. These connectors are where you will connect the new 176356-01-000 harness.

You can now detach the 063912-02-000 Relay that is a part of the OEM harness.

The two relays are then attached to the new 176356-01-000 harness, and the harness attached to the 176367-01-000 Tri-Mark module.

It is now a simple matter of connecting the harness to the connectors below the original module’s mounting position and routing the harness to suitable mounting position for the module. Enough harness length is included to allow flexibility in locating the module in various coach models. I just fastened the module to one of the previous module’s attachment points.

This module came with the remote fobs pre-programmed, but to program additional fobs there is are a button and LED wired to the module. I left these bundled as shipped, but if you anticipate reprogramming in the future you could route these to a location accessible when the cowl is in place.

At this point I successfully tested the installation and then reinstalled the cowl. Total time, working slowly, was about thirty minutes. The only tool required was a medium Phillips Head screwdriver.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Keylessentry1.jpeg
Views:	223
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	49888   Click image for larger version

Name:	KeylessEntry4.jpeg
Views:	227
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	49889  

Name:	KeylessEntry2.jpeg
Views:	231
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	49890   Click image for larger version

Name:	KeylessEntry3.jpeg
Views:	244
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	49891  

Name:	KeylessEntry5.jpeg
Views:	233
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	49892   Click image for larger version

Name:	KeylessEntry6.jpeg
Views:	222
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	49893  

Old 11-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for posting the photos and writeup.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Bill, (SVTotem),
I surely thank you for posting this subject and posting pics etc. It sounds, by your description, that it's not a very hard replacement of the vehicle security module if and when the need arises. As stated in ours, it's in the lower left front compartment, next to the MMDC, the Smart Wheel Master controller and a few other electronic components.

Now, I read through the whole thing and, while you include part numbers, I didn't see any cost. May I ask what that new Trimark module would cost? Ours works, but, on many occasions, it doesn't. It seems it will work for say, 5-6 times in a row for locking and unlocking both the entry door and the compartments and then, we'll step outside the coach to depart for dinner or some errand and, it won't work. I bang on the remote, push the buttons a few zillion times and, nope it won't work.

Then, we come back from our errand and, it works. I've cleaned the contacts on the door several times and they seem to be fine. So, in reading this thread and seeing your pics, I might be inclined to just send away for one and install it. Now, does it also lock your compartments too?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Fire up, don't bother with replacing the unit if still working. Ours was replaced with the new W model(fobs say Winnebago and have the optional basement door elect lock buttons). It will work as designed, lock the entry door and unlock immediately afterward, but- it will not relock the door within a few minutes, almost like something gets hot and must cool before working again.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

I have a 2002 Ultimate Advantage and I replace the module and wiring harness when my remote unit failed. I am posting to answer the cost question --- I did mine about 3 years ago and at that time, the new controller and two key fobs from Tri-Mark was $100.00 and the cost of the wiring harness from Winnebago was $104.00. It should be noted that in the case of my coach, this replacement has caused the outside light on mine to not work right when activated with the switch by the door (a documented problem) ---- when you turn on the light with the switch, it causes a 12 volt breaker to "pop" --- when the light comes on when you use the lock/unlock remote feature, the light works fine and goes off by itself when it should. I have not tried to do a "work around" on the switch to put it on another circuit yet.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I recently purchased a 2002 Ultimate Advantage. The door and compartment system works well.
However I did not get the key fobs with the unit.
If anyone has the remotes for a system that no longer works I would be very interested in purchasing them. I have read instructions for reprogramming them so I think they will work with my system.
Thanks
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #19
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by depchief View Post
I recently purchased a 2002 Ultimate Advantage. .............................
I can't help with the fobs except to advise you that another original fob MAY not work with your system. They have different codes. If they were all the same then anyone with a fob would have a "key" to get in. Since the original was made by SCFrigette (out of business) I think you would be better served to install the new unit discussed in this thread.
I see by your signature that you bought a great coach.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

When I was researching the original system and looking on line for replacement FOBs I found instructions for programming replacement SCS FOBs. There is a button on the main module that is utilized for programming.

I have reprogrammed replacement FOBs on a car and it was relatively easy.

I kinda figured it would be worth a try
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, replace, replacement