Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-30-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

05 journey 36g slide out wiring problem

Took a 3200 mile trip over the last 12 days and the main slide wouldn't go in or out . After some research, here are the facts. when you hit the slideout switch either way, the pump runs, but the there is no power to the solenoids. By simply hot wiring the solenoid and hiting the switch, the slide moves. The bedroom slide is working normally. The switch for the main slide that is the problem is in the dash, i have not yet removed the dash to look at the switch, but it is acctuating the hyd pump, just not the solenoids. The manual said there are some fuses under the leveling panel, looked ther and no fuses. The fuses in the panel under the coach in front of the system all test ok. we looked at every fuse we could find and can't see any that have failed. The way that the slide works is that there are 2 solenoids opposite each other and one gets powered for out and the other gets powered for in.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Dave
Dave1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Sounds as tho they are HWH. Give em a call and see if they can help. Really great people to work with.
Richard
Old 03-30-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Dave - I had almost the same symptoms a few years ago. The pump would run, but the big slide wouldn't retract. I found one of the wires from the retract solenoid was too short and so taunt it was pulled loose in the plug at the control box. The plug was still completely connected to the box and the wire was still in the plug, but pulled out just enough to not make good contact. I spliced in a couple of inches of wire and have never had the problem again.

I would think if you had the "short wire" problem, it probably would have showed up by now, but it's worth a look. Just look at both wires from the extend solenoid and make sure they're not stressed.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Yes I believe it is hwh, but the problem is electrical and i know winnebago wires these units in. I have been trying to find the wiring diagram for the system, but after 1/2 hour searching them, no luck yet. found every diagram but slides and levelers using the link here

Dave
Old 03-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

tomsm,

There is a 2 wire plastic plug on each solenoid, they are fine, i am guessing that those wires then go to another plug and that is were you had a problem ? the slide doesn't go in or out. is the plug you had trouble with in front of the pump/solenoid unit on the unit with the plastic see thru cover ?

Thanks Dave
Old 03-30-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Dave - yes, it was at the plug on the back of the box with the plastic cover. There are some simplified wiring diagrams in the HWH manual and they show that plug as the "12 pin green" plug. If the pump is running, I think it's safe to say the Winnie part is working OK. That control box with the plastic cover is getting the extend or retract signal or it wouldn't activate the pump. So it's either a fuse (which you checked) or the control board in the box or the wiring between the control board and the solenoid.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Dave - something else to check...there is a "12 pin black" plug on the side of that control box. It's on the side toward the center, not the "outside" side (if that makes any sense). Pin 1 (bottom, left (forward) pin) is "SWITCHED +12 BATT FROM PUMP RELAY - ROOM 1". That would affect both extend and retract.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I will be looking at all those plugs now that it has stopped raining in the northeast. I have not found any wiring diagrams yet. The info that came with the coach doesn't have the diagram you are talking about.

Where can I find a wiring diagram ? I may print all the winnebago diagrams, but didn't find what i am looking for when i looked online.

I may contact hwh by phone

dave
Old 03-31-2010, 01:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Dave - here's a link to a PDF of the manual I am referring to. It's the original that came in the big, black bag when I bought my Journey new.

I would very definitely call HWH. I've called before and they are very helpful. You have enough symptoms that they can probably pin it down pretty well. I think they have had to reduce staff so you may have to wait for a callback, but it's worth it...

Their phone number is at the bottom of the cover page of the manual.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:35 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

05 journey slide out wiring problem

guys....where is the control box you are referring to and where is the box with the plastic cover? Is the control box the push button main panel that lights up,,,thanks RKL2
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:51 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

RKL2 - The control box I've referred to IS the box with the clear cover. It's under the entry steps. The control box, pump and all the solenoids are located in that area. You can see the front of the control box (the see thru side) by looking down and to the left through the front "hood" opening.

If you haven't been there before, the front steps hinge up to reveal the HWH equipment. You have to remove one nut under the front edge of each step and then just lift them up...
Old 04-02-2010, 06:41 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

05 journey

Tomsm...thanks for the input...On my 02, the pump and solonoids are just in front of the dump compartment and visable when the slide is out...I haven't found the clear cover box yet..Nothing is visable under my steps but the Kwicke step...thanks....RKL2
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Awhile back I had the same problem with the rear slide and ran the problem back to the HWH control board (It's under the front on the right side). Somewhere here is a post complete with pictures and a link to the board diagnostics if I remember. Everyone that owns a coach with this control would do real well to look through that sheet and get familiar with the LED's on that board because they are invaluable when shooting a problem. BTW- There are also fuses on this board.

HERE is the original post. It's got lots of old forum code mixed up in it that you need to weed through :(

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:05 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Got under the coach today and wiggled all the plugs without any luck. Next move is to look at the leds as the switches are operated. Will look at the hwh site for help as suggested

Thanks, Dave
Old 04-06-2010, 07:41 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Spoke to hwh and we agreed that the next thing is to check the switch, which i just did and the switch is ok. I swapped it with the rear slide working switch to check it. The next thing i am doing is educating myself on reading wiring diagrams. This is a challenge, but i am going one step at a time

Dave
Old 04-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

What did they say about the control panel? Once you know what you're looking at, the LED's will clearly tell you if you have a switch problem or a relay problem, clear out to the power contactors for the pump and valves.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 04-07-2010, 07:39 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Jeff,

I didn't get that far with them. I did look at the lights as someone operated the switches for me. The lights are consistant trying both slides. meaning the same color lights came on only in differant spots.

My first question is how the switch is wired.

There are 6 pins in the switch lets say it is 2 rows of 3 pins. the center pin is switched to the pin above or below it when you rock the switch. on one side the center pin is live all the time, the other side the center pin may be a ground.

Using my test light and meter i have determined that the non powered center pin appears to have differant values compairing the working rear slide wiring and the non working front slide switch wiring. If this is true, i may have lost the ground, which could be caused by many differant things.

This is were i am educated myself on reading wiring diagrams. The winnebago ones are what i am working on as i would like to be able to trace the wiring and find the plugs

Thanks for any and all help , Dave
Old 04-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

That's probably because the switch is switching ground around. I need to hopefully get some time tonight (7:30Pm and still at the office) and look at the HWH docs again, but I can almost guarantee you that you can check everything from the finger pressing the switch, all the way through the logic board and out the other side just by getting familiar with what the LED's are telling you. When I get home I'll read your post again and can probably tell you what LED's should be lit for each state. PM me with an email address and I'll send you the .pdf sheet I marked up when mine was getting cranky.

Jeff - WA6EQU