Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

04 Journey 39k storage question

So my coach is in storage about 15 mins from my house. I try to bring it home on the weekends to tinker. Last weekend my wife and I had to go drop a few things off at the coach for this up comming weekends travels. I thought I would start it while we were there. Well the batterys were to low to start so I had to start the gen and those batterys were low but it started. So when I store it I put the Xantrex in hibernate, turn off the AUX switch on the dash and lock it up. Now when I close the door the step slides in so that tells me that I must be forgeting to turn something off or that step is on the engine batterys. So my question is what am I doing wrong when I put it in storage(am I not turning something off) or is this a sign that my batterys are failing?
Old 02-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a 39K and the chassis battery can drain over 3-4 weeks or so due to parasite loads for the engine and transmission electronics.

I have installed a Tric-L-Start that allows the generator or shore power to charge the chassis batteries once the house batteries are charged. Xantrex has an Echo Charger that accomplishes this for a few more $ but it may also have other features to warrant the extra cost.

I do not believe your year coach will charge the chassis batteries by shore or generator without these items.

Another solution is adding a cutoff switch for the chassis batteries. I would recommend a marine battery selector rotary switch over a blade switch to avoid arching in the battery compartment if you go this route.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

the4js:

We have a 2004 39W, so I think our coaches are very similar.

First, the step is powered by the chassis batteries when stored if the batteries are not disconnected or turned off. You can turn off the power to the step by the "step" switch on the panel at the back side of the step well. It will remain extended, but is not a problem.

Next, the 2004 Journeys did not come with the Trik-L-Start installed. I think it became standard in 2005 or 2006. I added one a few years ago and it does a good job keeping the house and chassis batteries charged up together as long as the coach power switch on the dash is left "on" and the coach is plugged in to a power source.

We really like our 2004 Journey and will keep it as long as we are able to enjoy RVing.

Good luck.
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

My 06 39k has a switch in the back by the radiator. I turn it off when in storage and the batteries always stay charged.
rodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Sounds like I need to add a Perko Switch and that Trik L Charge gadjet.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

the4js
Your RV is the same as mine - there is not a switch to turn off the chassis batteries unless you add one and yes the steps work off the chassis batteries. My chassis batteries do maintain the charge more than 4-5 weeks. I agree both the Perko type switch and trik l start would be good additions.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanLinAZ View Post
the4js:

We have a 2004 39W, so I think our coaches are very similar.

First, the step is powered by the chassis batteries when stored if the batteries are not disconnected or turned off. You can turn off the power to the step by the "step" switch on the panel at the back side of the step well. It will remain extended, but is not a problem.

Next, the 2004 Journeys did not come with the Trik-L-Start installed. I think it became standard in 2005 or 2006. I added one a few years ago and it does a good job keeping the house and chassis batteries charged up together as long as the coach power switch on the dash is left "on" and the coach is plugged in to a power source.

We really like our 2004 Journey and will keep it as long as we are able to enjoy RVing.

Good luck.
DeanLinAZ,
Just a question Sir, you state your "trik-L-Start" also charges the "House" batteries too? Doesn't your inverter/charger take care of that duty when plugged into shore power or running the genny? In that case, you'd be really taxing that little charger to have it charge all of your batteries. I was just wondering.

To the OP, as stated, if your rig is like many of ours dated around '05 or older, they supposedly did not provide a charge for the chassis or engine batteries while being plugged into shore power. Before learning about the "Trik-L-Start", I simply installed a three stage NAPA battery charger permanantly, next to the electrical panel, under the bed, and ran the wires directly to some alternate posts for my chassis batteries, about 3-4 feet away. Now, those chassis batts are always up to par and ready to go 24/7.

I don't remember if you said you keep your rig plugged in at your storage area or not. If you do, you can install just about any battery charger/maintainer that will keep the chassis batts fully up and charged. If you don't have it plugged in while in storage, it's been suggested that you install a battery cut-off switch of some sort. The Perko rotary ones are pretty stout and are fairly readily available.
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

So this weekend while camping I decide to check things out while plugged in to shore power. My chassie batts were reading 13.4 volts and the inverter charger/inverter lights were on and buzzing loudly. The batterys were very warm. They are maint free, mabey low on water? Or is this normal? The engine batterys were at 12.2volts and were cold.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

1. How old are your batteries?

2. "the inverter charger/inverter lights were on and buzzing". Is this abnormal?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Smile

Fire Up:

I guess I didn't make it clear how the Trik-L-Start system works or at least how I remember or think how it works.

If the coach is being powered by shore power or the generator, only the house batteries will be kept charged and protected by the onboard inverter/charger. The Trik-L-Start box allows the chassis batteries to receive a portion of the source charging output as long as the house battery switch on the dash is in the "on" position. If the house battery switch is "off", only the house batteries will receive any charge.

I don't leave my Journey plugged into shore power all the time when stored, but I do plug it in for a day every couple of weeks with the house battery switch in the "on" position to bring all the batteries up to snuff. This has worked for me for the last several years. Before that, I was always facing low chassis batteries after a few weeks.
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

DeanLinAZ,
Well Sir, I stand corrected. If I'd not been so stubborn when I did mine, I'd have purchased the "Trik-L-Start" charger/maintainer and installed it instead of doing what I did in installing a regular battery charger. I'd been on the Trik-L-Start site before but, I guess I just didn't remember or, comprehend the fact that it's not a "charger" in itself. It's simply a "controller" in allowing some of the charging power of the inverter/charger to trickle off to the chassis batteries, now that I finally read its statistics.

I was under the impression it as a small battery charger just for the chassis batteries. Well, like usual, I learn something every day. Thanks for getting back to me on this and straightening me out.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

If the TrikLstart is installed per the Winnebago instructions, it will not charge the chassis batteries if the house battery switch is off. I installed mine on the battery side of the disconnect.

I asked a Winnebago electrical engineer why they chose to install the way that they did. He said it was because of the slight parasite draw of the TLS.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

To stop the draw from the front step on the engine battery do this. Open your screen door handle hatch, just slide it to the right so you can get your arm in. Naturally unlock the screen door from the main door.

Close the screen door with the handle latch open. the front step will automatically close shut. Stick your arm in and flip the step switch to off. Presto no step sticking out, and extra draw from the step on the battery is eliminated.

If you are NOT hooked up to shore power in storage the trickel start will do you no good becuase it will draw your house batteries down. The Solar panel on the roof will not charge both.

I even bought a solar pannel that hung in my coach bedroom window and hooked the leads up to the engine batteries over the winter. That worked until I had to move the coach to a different spot where the sun was hidden from the solar pannel.

Easiest solution, I just pull the engine batteries and hook them up to my battery tenders in my garage. In spring I just reinstall. Not that hard and no big deal.

Regards Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pameridan04 View Post
If you are NOT hooked up to shore power in storage the trickel start will do you no good becuase it will draw your house batteries down. The Solar panel on the roof will not charge both.
As stated the Trik-L-Start won't help keep the chassis batteries charged if the coach/house batteries aren't being charged, but it shouldn't draw down the house batteries if they aren't being charged. It only transfers power if there is a charging voltage present on the house batteries.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Chris,

What you say is true and not true. It depends on how the TLS is installed.

The TLS has a slight draw at all times that it is connected to a power source. That's how it knows the status of the batteries. It's not a lot, but according to the Winnebago electrical engineers it's enough to be a problem during long term storage under cover. That's why they installed the TLS on the coach side of the disconnect.

I installed mine on the battery side of the disconnect and have been very happy with the installation.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, storage