Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

02 Winnebago 36 DL info.

Need some help. We purchased this unit last Summer and have spent much time making it our own. Now going through the manuals and data I cannot find the manual on the engine. I know it is a Caterpillar 330 HP. I do not know the designation. Is it a 3126, C7, ect. Also where can I obtain the manual for it.

I have been on the Winnebago and Freightliner sites to no avail.

I also would like to be able to research the maintenance history. I know it was serviced by Caterpillar but no records survived. Can I do this?

I have had my own shop check it out from one end to the other, and we have made several trips with it that were almost problem free, and what problems there were, were easily solved.

We bought it because the price was right but it lacks documentation.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Anybody?
Old 12-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Cat has a help line. When we had our Journey they were very helpful. You will need the engine serial number. I don't remember where I got it. It is on the engine but Winnebago may have given it to me.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have the 03 version of your coach and it is a 3126E most likely not a C7 those came later. Not much difference between them.

I did find a place to order a manual here. Haven't done it yet. Not sure how much I would put it to use. The local CAT dealer has been great with information and fixed an oil leak I had at the oil filter mount.

https://www.cattechmanuals.com/

This used to be called the CAT RV Club site but they changed it to include all diesels but still a lot of CAT info in the archives.

Diesel RV Club - Home
Old 12-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

If it's a CAT engine, it's a 3126. I think the C7's became available in MY 2005 or 2006.

Here's how you find out for sure: With the last 6 digits of your VIN # in hand, call Freightliner Help (1-800-FTL-HELP). Give them the last 6 digits of your VIN, and ask them for the serial number of your engine. They have it on file.

Then call CAT with the engine serial number in hand, and they can tell you everything you need to know about your engine. You can get CAT's customer Help line by Googling CAT On Highway engines, or call any local CAT dealer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Thanks a lot fellas. I will do exactly that.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

You have already been given good info. I had the same rig for 8 years. It is a great coach. The CAT 3126E is a great engine. Just make sure the zerk fitting on the radiator fan hub gets a shot of grease annually. It is accessible from under the bed after you remove the engine access covers. Even then, you have to reach a bit to get to that fitting. Also, get some Pac Brake lube and lube the linkages and pivot points on the Pac Brake cylinder at least annually.

A weak point in the exhaust set up on that rig is the flimsy band clamp they installed between the turbo outlet and the exhaust pipe. Mine disintegrated and leaked exhaust into the coach. Might want to check on that whenever you are looking at the top of the engine. The clamp fails on the bottom so you may have to use a mirror to see it well.

I did a lot of upgrades when we had the coach, did most all of the service and maintenance myself and will share whatever I can about that coach. If you want/need to drop the generator out from under the coach for its 1,000+ hour service, let me know. Been there, done that.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Cooperhawk

congratulations on a nice coach. yes you have a Cat. 3126e. I have the same so I will give you a heads up on the most overlooked maintenance item on that engine .There is a fan pully zirk fitting that is located between the cyl. head and the pully. Very difficult to locate and service. You cant service it from below, you have to open the bed and pull the metal plates above the engine.
There have been many posts here on that subject so do a search, if you cant find them I will jump back in with more.
Ron
Ron
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

This site is GREAT!!!!
I already did find out about greasing the fan pulley and after much searching we finally got it done. Will check the Pac brake next time I get underneath.

Yep, we do love the coach. It was a little ragged when we got it but is gradually falling into shape. The thing is I bought it right and can afford to make some repairs. So far nothing too big. Might have to replace the driver tires.

I am an old diesel driver and love them. Just need to know the little idiosyncrasies about this coach.

Tags
winnebago