Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Yet another TV install, cheaper and eaiser

Like other I have also replaced the tv in my 2004 Horizon. I replaced it with a 32" Sharp LCD. Because I had limited tools while on the road the replacement was simple using and electric drill and wrenches. It was also cheap as the materials to mount the new tv cost less than $10. This did not include the Pearless TV Mount and the TV.

You can see some pictures and comments about the process on my blog:

NORMANS on the HORIZON: New LCD TV for Horizon

I hope this may give others some ideas on how to mount their own with limited resources.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Nice job! Thanks much for sharing.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

This is almost identical to what I did with Aluminum angle. I'm curious how you locked the TV on to the mount once hung on the bracket?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

SCVjeff,

The Progressive LCD hanger has two large C shaped brackets that attach to the back of the TV. In the picture you can see the other part of the hanger that attaches to the wall. It has a lip on the top and bottom. The TV is lifted and the top of the C is lowered onto the wall hanger's top lip. The bottom part of the C has a allen screw that screws up into the bottom of the wall hanger. A long reach allen wrench was included for the bottom screw.

Regards, Jim
Old 04-28-2009, 09:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

So how do you tighten it? On mine the panel is flush against the frame and I tighten the screws from the backside with the shroud off, then install it separate from the frame. I assume your is the same?

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 04-29-2009, 11:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

The back of the LCD is about a half inch away from the cabinetry that surrounded the old tv. I did that to avoid the tv possible banging against the cabinetry on rough roads (I live in California). The long allen wrench is about 12" long and reached the locking allen screws from the bottom. As it extends from the bottom enough to beable to turn and tighen the screws.

If you go to the Pearless Mounts web site they have the installation manuals on line and you can maybe get a clearer picture.

I can't remove my surrounding cabinetry without removing the tv.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:21 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Very nice install, I think that would work well for the TV in our Sightseer too - many thanks for the fine walk through!
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:36 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

OK, I missed that it was that far out. I took the opposite approach by lining the frame with felt and making the LCD so snug there is no place for it to rattle (I too live in Calif.). The trade-off is that as yours, the TV is on top of the frame, and the only way to lock the mount is to have the cowl removed. The cowl and frame are now detached so I can remove it for rear LCD access while in place, but not something that's necessarily easy.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 04-29-2009, 11:45 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Hey Jeff,

I had thought about mounting it against the fame and drilling a couple of holes in the bottom of the frame to access the allen screws but found with the mount I used I couldn't hang the tv on the bracket easily. I ended up mounting away from the frame to avoid having to be that critical in measuring. This way I had some leeway that I usually need!
Old 06-15-2009, 03:22 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Hi Jim

This has definitely convinced me its time to throw out the old tube TV.

What model Peerless mount did you use? I searched their web site but Peerless has a lot of mounts and I am having a hard time finding one that looks like yours.

Also, for travel purposes, can you tilt the lcd up such that it is almost perfectly vertical rather than pointing down for viewing purposes? I like your installation and that it results in the same viewing angle as the original tv. Since the mount you bought allows you to tilt the tv, is it possible to tilt it enough to get it nearly perfectly vertical when traveling? This would keep the mounting bolts that attach to the tv to be as close to horizontal as possible and keep the weight evenly distributed. Or is this a lot of work because you have to use the hex key to reset the tv each time???? I have an allegro bus and the bottom of the existing tv enclosure is recessed about 3" versus the top of the enclosure. The height of the existing enclosure is 22" so its at a pretty good angle for viewing purposes but I am concerned about traveling with the lcd at this angle.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:51 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Hi hdridemlbThe Peerless mount I used was Model 640ST. I searched for mounts that fit my LCDTV. It is adjustable but only 5° in the direction you want to go, so it may not lock straight up and down for you. I didn't need the adjustable mount because I mounted the base at an angle to match the cabinet. I have not tried to realign it for travel and so far, 3,000+ miles it still works. It would be a bi*ch to change the angle. You would have to unscrew a set screw on each side and then tighten and match up the set screws holes.

I made a mock up of the TV out of cardboard and attached the mounts it. I used it to create all the measurments and check the clearances before I bolted down the 2x4s.

Of all possible upgrades a new HD TV is at the top of the list for me.

To
Old 06-15-2009, 08:58 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Hi James! I also thank you for the pics and mounting suggestions for the TV upgrade. Also, your other pics and story of the Pikes Brewing Co reminded me of the good beer I enjoyed there last June.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for sharing your project, as it inspires me to do the same. I have a 2005 Horizon and wish very much to get rid of the Sony tube.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:09 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the kind words.

I was ask about the surround sound and how I handled it. My TV did not control the volume to the 'audio out' that I ran to the surround system. I connected a volume control unit from Radio Shack, about $20 or so. The control unit is designed to be mounted in an electric box in the wall like a light switch. I didn't mount in a box. Instead I drilled a hole in the plastic cover on the bottom of the TV cabinet the same size as the control unit's shaft. I put the hole on the driver's side. I used the shaft with a thin washer and nut to hold the unit. So far it had remained solid. We just turn the volume control unit up or down depending on what we're watching. I re-used the existing filter placing it inline ahead of the control unit.

Hope this helps.