Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-14-2019, 05:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Xantrex Inverter Won't Turn On

I'm dry camping and tried to turn on the inverter and am not getting power. I have the Xantrex XM10. It worked fine 5 weeks ago I was able to use all of the AC plugs when I was hooked to shore power several days ago. All of the AC plug receptacles work when the generator is on. The GFCI plug on the inverter and the 15 amp button appear to be okay. I plugged/unplugged the cable from behind the remote panel and still no power at the remote panel. My question is if the inverter is bad, why would the plugs work with the gennie on in the TV. Or, could I have a bad remote panel? It plugs into some type of inline coupler.

One more question...I understand the that there is an inline fuse for the inverter. Could it be the culprit? Does anyone know where it is located on my model?
Lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:11 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The inverter is designed to 'pass thru' shore or generator power when available and it sounds as though that is working as it should, regardless of the inverter being on or off.

Have you checked for other tripped GFCIs? Have you checked for a tripped reset switch on the power converter?

Does everything work on 12 volt power such as lights, water pump, slides, etc? (with or without shore or generator power)

The large amp fuse is between the coach batteries and the inverter. It is probably located nearest to the batteries and may not look much like a fuse to some.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:34 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Is the battery voltage ok? The inverter may not turn on if it's too low.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

SLoweather, Thanks for your response. Yes, the voltage is good as I've been using the generator to keep the batteries charged
Old 03-14-2019, 08:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Winnieview. I will look for a fuse as it is easier than trying to access the inverter wires in the compartment. Winnebago tucked it onto the side corner of a narrow compartment where the water tank is. It is almost impossible to access.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I found the problem!! Thanks to all and Winnieview! I was looking for the fuse in the battery compartment and found a short 8-10" battery cable with a broken terminal and pulled away from what looked like a fuse/buss bar. Sure enough, when I touched it to the terminal, the inverter worked! It must have snapped off from repeated vibration. Amazing how vibration on RVs can mess things up. I am camping at Organ Pipe Cactus National Park. I called a Napa Auto Parts store in the closest town (45 minutes away) and a nice employee offered to drop it off as he's coming to the park for the day! Wonderful service!

I wish Winnebago would place the inverters in a better location for resetting the GFCI breakers, 15amp circuit breaker and general troubleshooting! They mounted it behind a metal cover on the inside forward left corner of the compartment where the water tank is visible. The unit is so close to the front wall that I have to use a screwdriver to push the GFCI button when it pops!
Old 03-15-2019, 05:27 PM   #7
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakejumper View Post
I found the problem!!

I wish Winnebago would place the inverters in a better location for resetting the GFCI breakers, 15amp circuit breaker and general troubleshooting! They mounted it behind a metal cover on the inside forward left corner of the compartment where the water tank is visible. The unit is so close to the front wall that I have to use a screwdriver to push the GFCI button when it pops!
Wow! Now I'm glad I installed my own Xantrex inverter in the basement next to the entry steps, right next to the house batteries. Not only is it easy to access, since I installed it I know all about it. Thanks for sharing this problem and resolution. Glad you got lucky with the parts drop off service, doesn't get better than that, eh?
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I had a very similar issue on my 2017 Vista 27VE. There was a bad connection to the fuse holder in the battery compartment. It was under warranty at the time and even the dealer couldn't figure it out at first. They replaced the whole inverter before they discovered the real reason. I have put Loctite on the cable bolts to prevent them from vibrating loose.
Harvey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:50 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Harvey- the Loctite is a good idea.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:36 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

My 2016 30T had the exact same problem with the same cable. I think they made the cable a bit short and it works back and forth until it breaks. I installed a longer cable last week and now the inverter works fine..
Tradewinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:37 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Tradewinds, very interesting to know it also happened to you. I used a 10” replacement cable. Napa Auto only had 4 gauge and the original was 2 gauge so I need to replace it with the thicker cable now that I’m home. I agree about Winnebago using too short of a cable. In order for it to reach the battery, the original cable had been flexed to the point that the end connection terminal was bent almost 90 degrees. This created a weak point in the metal and that is where it snapped.

Tags
inverter, xantrex