Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-05-2005, 07:26 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

John,
We had the same issues with our flooded Interstates. In fact, the batteries gassed so badly we had to open all of the windows and run all of the vent fans to minimize the toxicity of the H2S gas permeating the air! We immediately called the dealer's service department. With a little persuasion, the dealer had 3 new Interstate Workhorse batteries waiting for us. Like yourself, we wanted to put in AGMs but the dealer wouldn't substitute or accept an allowance for the purchase of the more pricey AGMs.
The fact that the Dimensions Inverter/Charger goes into an equalization mode every time shoreline power is recycled is indeed the source of boiling our batteries. The service manager instructed me to move the slide switch on the unit to the first position "A". This setting clamps the Bulk charging mode at a lower value when the shoreline power is recycled. I suspect that setting is for a particular battery type. Since we have replaced our batteries and set the switch at the first position, our battery water consumption has decreased significantly. We have the watering system installed and check water levels monthly. If we have anymore problems with Dimensions or Interstate, we also will replace them with ProSine and Concord AGMs. Just a little more on this thread.
Richard and Holly Sarut
2005 Vectra 40KD (with too many bells and whistles)
Semi-full timing?

03 L200 Saturn Toad
GreyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 07:02 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GreyDog:
The service manager instructed me to move the slide switch on the unit to the first position "A". This setting clamps the Bulk charging mode at a lower value when the shoreline power is recycled. I suspect that setting is for a particular battery type. Richard and Holly Sarut
2005 Vectra 40KD (with too many bells and whistles)
Semi-full timing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Richard,

How about that - somebody else with the same problem!

The Dimensions charger has four settings depending on the battery type (sealed, wet) and the ampre-hour capacity of the bank (&gt;400 amp hour, &lt;400 amp hour.) I set the switch to the "B" position which is sealed and &lt;400 amp hour bank. The bank I now have is 315 amp hour. So far so good with the Dimensions charger.

Winny did initially set the Dimensions option switch properly - I was originally thinking the issue might have been that it was set for a &gt;400 amp hour bank which might explain the overcharging.

Bells and whistles are wonderful (while they work!)

--John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:36 AM   #23
Winnebago Watcher

We own a 2005 Journey that has an Airpax Dimensions 2000 inverter. Since we purchased this unit new last April, the warranty has expired and wow ...problems with the inverter started. After a $579 (including Overnight delivery that I DID NOT request) repair cost on my original unit and a "new" (actually refurbished ...I was told after delivery) inverter installed ...I STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. I have (3) Centennial Group 27 wet cell batteries in parallel that are constantly being overcharged because it either stalls in the acceptance mode at 14.7 v and 20 amps or goes into the float mode with 14.5 v / 5 amps. I have set the battery selector at "D" for my 300 ah rating, and even tried reset, but to no avail. I have been instructed to ship BOTH units back to Dimensions (per Scott) for evaluation. HELP ...any suggestions????
Mike
mvb1317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:15 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

The first thing that comes to mind is to check the health of the batteries. If even one cell of one battery is shorted, the charger will be 'fooled' into thinking the batteries are discharged and it will pump more current than necessary and cause gassing and overcharging.

Welcome to the forum

Old 05-26-2007, 07:22 AM   #25
Winnebago Watcher

John,
I had the batteries tested for internal resistance and spec. gravity ...both testing facilities said that they are "OK" ...I believe that I will explore this option more in detail; any other thoughts, please advise.
Thanks,
Mike
mvb1317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 01:13 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Mike, welcome to the forum.com. We are glad to have you join us here and look frward to reading of your adventures and experiences. Sorry to hear of all the problems you have has with the inverter and batteries. Here are a few links that might be helpful:
http://www.dcbattery.com/faq.html#1
http://www.usbattery.com/care.htm
http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Bat...ery%20Charging
http://www.rvsolarelectric.com/sources.htm
Good luck and keep us posted as to what you find out.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:46 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

I know this is a old thread now, but back to the Dimensions bulk mode on a 100 degree day... I haven't gone out to look but isn't there a thermister watching the battery temp?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:09 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SCVJeff:
I know this is a old thread now, but back to the Dimensions bulk mode on a 100 degree day... I haven't gone out to look but isn't there a thermister watching the battery temp? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes

Old 06-14-2007, 10:27 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

My coach just went through another set of batteries in a little over a year. I saw this thread and looked at the information on the Dimension Inverter/BarBQuer. Mine is a model WIN-12x20B3RIT. I looked and could not find any slider switch for the battery type. Can someone enlighten me on the location of the switch? There is no mention of it in the Owner's Manual.

At this point I guess I need to buy new batteries since mine are toast. Since I'm trying to sell the coach I don't want to spend the $1.5K to replace the inverter with a better one. I also don't want to pass along this problem to a potential new owner. Is there a cheaper alternative to the RS2000 that will fix the battery problem if I can't get the Dimension to work?
Old 06-14-2007, 11:06 AM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Ok, I found the switch. It was hidden by a cable. Mine is set to "A" so I guess that is the "rare" setting but my batteries are still coming out "well done".

I think I will look for a replacement charger/invertor so I am still needing recommendations on drop in replacement units.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:27 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

By far the cheapest solution is to fix what's there IF it's a problem. Is it possible you had a goofy battery (weak cell) causing the charger to boil the batteries out?. Since I've read this thread I have kept a very close eye on mine, and it has performed perfectly with no added water since I picked it up in Sept. 06 (knocking head with 2x4).

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:30 PM   #32
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by resqguy:
Ok, I found the switch. It was hidden by a cable. Mine is set to "A" so I guess that is the "rare" setting but my batteries are still coming out "well done". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>IMHO the switch set to "A" is cooking (overcharging) your batteries.

From the Airpax/Dimesnions Users Guide:
A = sealed lead-acid, more than 400 amp-hours
B = sealed lead-acid, less than 400 amp-hours
C = wet/vented lead-acid, more than 400 amp-hours
D = wet/vented lead-acid, less than 400 amp-hours

No Winnebago/Itasca built in the last 4 years exceeds 400 amp hours from the factory and all were wet lead-acid. The switch should have always beeen set to "D" from the factory.

Specifically, the specs on your '05 Vectra show it came with either three group 29 or group 31 wet/vented lead- acid batteries. The best in class group 31 batteries would only be a 360 amp-hour rating. The typical Interstate batteries most of us had when new were only about 315 amp-hours.

The only reason to change the switch is if you change battery type/configuration in a major way (AGM, convert to 6V-golf cart, etc.). The only way in the Winnebago battery tray I know to get above 400 amp-hours is to covert to 4-6v, wet/vented golf cart batteries.

If your inverter/charger was truly set to A from the factory then I think you have a case to have Winnebago pay for new batteries. I suggest you call and talk it over with Winnebago Service Information folks.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:45 PM   #33
Winnie-Wise

We had to have our Demented inverter repaired at the factory' they won't give diagrams to anyone else. Cost 481 plus freight and we paid to have it taken out and replaced. Since Jan we have not had to add water to the new batteries. It ruined the old ones.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:15 AM   #34
Winnebago Owner

I've been looking at the Xantrex Prosine 2.0. It is available with a GFCI option. Do I need that?
Old 06-15-2007, 10:17 AM   #35
Winnie-Wise

The Xantrex RS2000 () would be my preferred choice.

You can look at John Canfield's install of an RS2000 in his Horizon 40AD here to size it up for yourself.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:37 AM   #36
Winnebago Owner

Can someone tell me if this is what their Dimensions unit looks like and if this is set to position "D"? I don't see a pointer or anything, just a piece of plastic.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:25 PM   #37
Winnie-Wise

Really nice picture.

I personally have never "seen" it so I can't tell in the picture if I see the slide switch or not. I just feel for it with a short, narrow, pointed tool like a nail punch and slide it all the way forward or back and then set to whatever (B in my case) by counting/feeling the clicks.

Also, IMHO even though not called out in the manual if you do change the setting I suggest you "reset" the inverter/charger by shutting off the 12v system (aux batt switch off) and drop the 110v circuit breaker for the charger if you are plugged into shore power. Then you know for sure the new setting is what is really being used.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:59 AM   #38
Winnebago Master

FYI:

Here's what they look like.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:08 AM   #39
Winnebago Master

I just made a close inspection on my old unit (which I removed to replace with an RS2000) and it's actually not a dip switch (the link that John posted), but just a small, four-position, slide switch. I would recommend using a small screwdriver to slide it sideways. A little bit of white paint or nail polish on the end of the switch might make it easier to see what position it's in--the black plastic slider kind of disappears in the dark hole.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 07:09 AM   #40
Winnie-Wise

Yup..that's what I said, a slide switch.