Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2019, 12:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Works plugged in but nothing on battery

I recently purchased a 1998 Winnebago Adventurer 35WP. The first thing I did was bring it to a dealership and had all three batteries replaced with new connectors/wires because I needed a new fuel pump and they would not replace it without making sure the electrical worked as it should. I've had travel trailers before but this is my first motorhome. Everything works when I am plugged in but nothing other than the motorized steps with light work when I'm not plugged in. I checked and converter and the fuses are good. I don't know if I have an inverter or a battery disconnect switch. I'm sure the problem is something simple but I'm getting frustrated because the manuals are not giving me the answers I want or can't find. Help!!
Scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Interesting that you had all the batteries replaced, but no one thought to test them before you left the shop? Won't make that mistake again, I bet?

Assuming you have the owner's manual, look for "auxiliary battery switch". It's mentioned in the index, and in Section 2-13, and Section 6 under Electrical system. Might be labeled "Aux. Batt".

There are a couple of diagrams that show where it is in the '98 Adventurer manual.

I'm guessing that it may be your problem.
It is in the owner's manual. You just have to read it.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:18 AM   #3

Steps run off Chassis Batt.

I would look on the side wall of the entry for a Battery Disconnect Switch. The AUX BATT switch is used to temporarily connect the chassis battery and the house batteries together to aid in starting if your chassis battery dies. I would normally suggest that you look for the wiring diagram in the Owner Resources tab on the WinnebagoInd.com site, but I found that the 1998 schematics are not there, you might try looking for the Owners Manual, however.
BubbleHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleHead View Post
I would look on the side wall of the entry for a Battery Disconnect Switch. The AUX BATT switch is used to temporarily connect the chassis battery and the house batteries together to aid in starting if your chassis battery dies. I would normally suggest that you look for the wiring diagram in the Owner Resources tab on the WinnebagoInd.com site, but I found that the 1998 schematics are not there, you might try looking for the Owners Manual, however.

It's in the 1998 Adventurer owner's manual available at the resources page on the Winnebagoind.com website. I know, I looked at it, as I suggested the OP do as well.

It is NOT near the side door, and it IS for disabling the coach batteries in the '98 Adventurer. There is a separate AUX START switch, that allows boosting the chassis battery from the coach batteries. There's even a crude diagram in the owner's manual, in Section 2, showing the location of all these things.
I know how painful it is for some, but you occasionally have to read the owner's manual to solve many of the problems we encounter with these recreational vehicles. I'm now done.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
It's in the 1998 Adventurer owner's manual available at the resources page on the Winnebagoind.com website. I know, I looked at it, as I suggested the OP do as well.

It is NOT near the side door, and it IS for disabling the coach batteries in the '98 Adventurer. There is a separate AUX START switch, that allows boosting the chassis battery from the coach batteries. There's even a crude diagram in the owner's manual, in Section 2, showing the location of all these things.
I know how painful it is for some, but you occasionally have to read the owner's manual to solve many of the problems we encounter with these recreational vehicles. I'm now done.
I know you mean well but you are a little rude. If you read my edited post you will find I apologized for my error. I too am done. Never to post here again.
BubbleHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Interesting that you had all the batteries replaced, but no one thought to test them before you left the shop? Won't make that mistake again, I bet?

Assuming you have the owner's manual, look for "auxiliary battery switch". It's mentioned in the index, and in Section 2-13, and Section 6 under Electrical system. Might be labeled "Aux. Batt".

There are a couple of diagrams that show where it is in the '98 Adventurer manual.

I'm guessing that it may be your problem.
It is in the owner's manual. You just have to read it.
I had already tried that hoping that is what it was. By the way, the dealership put all new batteries in and checked them and a friend of mine also checked them so they are not the problem. Anything else it could be? Thanks!
Scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

no power to the coach

when they replaced your batteries they MIGHT have touched the ground battery cable to a positive post or touched a positive battery cable to a negative post. either cases would blow the reverse polarity fuses . on a 30 amp coach they are located in the converter panel next to the 12 volt fuses and on a 50 amp coach they are located on the converter that is usually mounted neat the breaker panel.
Good luck!
Gary Harter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:05 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Download the owners manual from https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m...Adventurer.pdf if you do not have a physical copy and go through it thoroughly.

On a 1998 there should be a main battery disconnect plus two sets of pop-up 12 volt breakers and possibly fuses. Its very common for the main 50 or so amp pop-up to trip between the converter charger and the house batteries especially when new batteries that need an initial charge are installed. This pop-up may be behind a carpeted false panel at the top step in the step well which us usually held in place with velcro with a metal access cover behind it attached with two knobs/levers where the bypass solenoid and 50 amp pop-up can be located.

You may need to refer to the manual on the 12 volt power center and charger/converter as some of those had the house battery main pop-up or fuse built into them.

On a 1998 there could have been a Big Winnebago Binder or a Winnebago Black Bag which should have come with the coach and contains all the manuals, build sheets, etc for the coach and should never have been separated from it. Sadly many never bother to look at it and throw it out along with the wiring adapter for the trailer lights, key for the dog house and wrenches for manually bringing in any slides or levelers on the coach which greatly disservices any future owners.

Tags
battery