Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2006, 02:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I'm on my second set of bad group 31 workaholic 12 volts and some one posted there was a problem with these particular batteries, but when contacting an interstate dealer they said they were not aware of any problem. Replacing them with a group 29 is probly the solution but is there any specifics so I can explain to the dealer!
Thaks for any help!

2005 40KD Horizon 400ISL
Lucchese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I'm on my second set of bad group 31 workaholic 12 volts and some one posted there was a problem with these particular batteries, but when contacting an interstate dealer they said they were not aware of any problem. Replacing them with a group 29 is probly the solution but is there any specifics so I can explain to the dealer!
Thaks for any help!

2005 40KD Horizon 400ISL
Old 05-17-2006, 03:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I just went thru this with the group 31 batteries. Call interstate (not a dealer) at 888-772-3600. I dealt with Gary, he arranged for new (free) batteries for me at a dealer of my choosing. The batteries were waiting for me when I arrived. I replaced them myself. There was no paperwork involved. They will replace the group 31's with an equal amount of group 29's.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Are the 31's a 12 volt only battery?
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Measure and see. You might have enough space to put 4 6volts in the place of the two Grp. 31. I did. It made an incredible difference.
shastaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

shastaron, welcome to the forum
Thanks for your post and post often. When you have some time post in your signature profile yor coach and chassis info it will help everyone. '007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Are the 31's a 12 volt only battery? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. Group 31 refers to the casing size and a 31 is designed to handle 6 cells for 12.6 volts. Groups 24, 27 and 29 are also 12V battery case sizes.

A 6V golf cart battery is a different size and shape case, known as a GC1. A larger 6V is the L16 case, which is a 350 amp-hour battery (vs 220 for a GC1).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 06:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

OK---Timing is everything. I just installed two new starting batteries and of course they are group 31 Interstate. Can anyone tell me what the problem has been with these battries? Thanks---
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:19 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Ben - consider dumping them in favor of Lifeline AGM batteries. They are expensive but in my opinion well worth it. I have had them for several months and I never have to worry about them - never a need to check water and no gassing issues.

Here is a nice overview of battery types.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:24 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Hello John! Its a thought for sure but do I need to change anything else because of the AMG's (charge controller, charge rate, etc.)ANy help would be great.

2005 40KD Horizon 400ISL
Old 05-22-2006, 02:03 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Ben - your Dimensions inverter/charger has a switch package on top of the unit that is accessed by a small case cut-out (what great engineering to put it on the top where you need a mirror to see the switch settings ..) You can option it for sealed or flooded batteries and for the amp-hour capacity of the battery bank (probably sets the maximum charge rate.)

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:18 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Why would a group 29 be better than a 31? My coach has 3 Interstate group 31 wired parallel. It would take 6 gulf cart batteries to replace them with no room. Is there a problem with Interstate 31s and not 29s?

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:39 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I just called the 1-800 # yesterday and took my group 31 batteries to a Interstate Dealer and they replaced them with the group 29. They said that the group 29 are a much better battery. I am going dry camping this weekend and will find out.

2005 Winnebago Journey
Md shedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:35 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
Ben - consider dumping them in favor of Lifeline AGM batteries. They are expensive but in my opinion well worth it.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with John, we are getting ready for another hurricane season. I just ordered three AGM Lifeline for coach batteries.

Will do chassis soon I guess.

Walt
Old 04-28-2008, 11:07 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Can't get a straight answer on replacing house batteries. Only thing showing on the batteries is Group 31. I understand Deep Cycle vs. Starting, but most are rated only with CCA vs. Amp Hours---called Winnebago: nice, but didn't know anything about it; walked back to the shelves and found a NAPA (8231) that said something about 750MCA, but he didn't know what that was. Said they also had Interstates on the shelf (decal only, no numbers). I said they must have a spec sheet they send out for bid?? Not that he knew of. The NAPA supp. has 205 reserve minutes??? I need three of these beasts for an '07 Tour, put into service in Nov. 06. Before I herniate myself hauling these around for an "exchange" would appreciate your advice. I just want to make sure that I'm replacing at least apples to apples and I've got enough power. No I don't dry camp that often, but I've already had to replace one Alternator and don't want to go thru that dead on road disaster any time soon. I understand that bad batteries are one of the top Alternator killers and have been advised to replace all three at once. Hope the inverter is not to blame for boiling them out this soon.
FloridaNative49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:52 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

On a Tour -

A true deep cycle battery will say so and almost always give a 20 hour Amp hour rating. If it doesn't don't buy it. You want a deep cycle battery with the highest 20 hour rating you can get and the highest RC you can get.

The 12v Trojan J185H, used to power floor scrubbers, has a 20 H AH rating of 215 and an RC of 415. It is 7"x15" by 15" high. I have three of these and have not been disappointed yet. The three batteries give me 645 AH of capacity.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:42 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Forest Grump:
On a Tour -

A true deep cycle battery will say so and almost always give a 20 hour Amp hour rating. If it doesn't don't buy it. You want a deep cycle battery with the highest 20 hour rating you can get and the highest RC you can get.

The 12v Trojan J185H, used to power floor scrubbers, has a 20 H AH rating of 215 and an RC of 415. It is 7"x15" by 15" high. I have three of these and have not been disappointed yet. The three batteries give me 645 AH of capacity. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately the trojan J185H will not fit in a Tour without major modifications.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:06 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

OK, since this has devolved into a generic battery thread, I have a few questions.

First, where I'm at. Ditched the original batteries in our 4 year old Adventurer about three years ago. They were already running down pretty quick. Replaced them with some 6 volts (free, yeah!). They were some early Johnson Controls 6 volts. They were great until a few months ago. I've kept an eye on the water level, but not often enough, I did catch the water down right at the top of the plates once. I don't think that killed them. I think I just discharge them too much, too often. I think, not really sure. They'll charge to 12.6 volts, but won't run a light bulb for more than a few minutes now.

I'm thinking about doing sometihng a bit different. I'd love to do the 4 6 volt setup. With better capacity, maybe I won't run them as dead as often and they'll last longer. Charging them is a concern of mine. I have the stock converter, will it do a decent job charging 4 batteries?

Or perhaps I'm good candidate for AGM batteries? I can get a great deal on Optima batteries. Maybe 4 of those? More charging concerns?

And on charging. We drive a lot. Stay a day or two and drive again. Using the alternator to charge all the batteries has always bothered me. I think I just have to live with that?

One last thing. An automatic generator start, perhaps an Onan EC-30, has been on my wish list for a while. If I'm buying a small fortune in batteries, maybe investing in something that will help me keep the batteries charged is a good thing? Maybe same goes for a better converter/charger?

Thanks,

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:45 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

deleted

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:38 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

You can get good quality 12v deep cycles too - you don't have to go to 6v. Trojan and Lifeline both make excellent 12v deep cycles. Trojan has both wet cell and AGM, while the Lifelines are all AGM. Discover is another excellent brand of 12v deep cycle. I just replaced my house bank with 4 Trojan 31 AGMs (110 AH each).

I also had to replace a pair two year old Interstate Workaholic Group 31 starting batteries. They were fading fast and I did not want o get stranded somewhere. I bought a pair of Harris G31,1000 CCA, starting batteries for that.

MCA - stands for Marine Cranking Amps. MCA is measured at 32 degrees F. while CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) are measured at o degrees F. The same battery will have a higher MCA number than CCA number. Neither is relevant for a house deep cycle. In fact, the higher the MCA or CCA, the lower the RC (Reserve Capacity) or 20 hour AH rating will be.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote