Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2015, 12:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

WIT Worth It?

Hello!

Any opinions on whether joining the WIT Club is worth the $40? Not going to break the bank, but am curious about whether there are worthwhile benefits.

THANKS!
Live2Hike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:23 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Hike View Post
Hello!

Any opinions on whether joining the WIT Club is worth the $40? Not going to break the bank, but am curious about whether there are worthwhile benefits.

THANKS!
What does WIT stand for ?
Thanks
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:04 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Winnebago Itasca Travelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by normandlegra View Post
What does WIT stand for ?
Thanks

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:17 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Hike View Post
Hello!

THANKS!
When we bought our first Winnebago product (2001 Winnebago Adventurer) the dealer signed us up for WIT and paid the first years dues. We didn't have any use for it at the time so we never joined any local clubs or attended the GNR (Grand National Rally) in Forest City IA.

We decided we wanted to go to Alaska in 2007 so in 2006 we started planning. We found that WIT organizes several caravans and rallies throughout the year. We looked into the Alaska caravan and decided to go. Since then we've been on 3 other caravans and several rallies. We also go to GNR every few years to keep in touch with people we've met on caravans and rallies, and get updated on any new product information.

There are dozens of seminars held daily at GNR. There's information on every Winnebago product made and dozens of new motorhomes and trailers on display.

The nice thing about WIT is that you only have to pay the dues if there's something they sponsor you want to be a part of. We didn't pay dues from 2002 to 2006. We thought we'd have to sign up all over again, but found you're just listed as inactive for the years you don't participate.

We've continually paid the dues since 2006. Along with the caravans and rallies they also give a discount for service performed at the factory. Since that's the only place we take our motorhome for service it's been well worth the money.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We joined WIT then joined the ARK-A-BAGO's here in AR. They plan 9 outings every year and some attend the GNR in July as a group. All but two are somewhere in AR. Most trips are usually scheduled for 5 nights, Sunday afternoon through the following Friday morning. That puts us in campgrounds during the off busy weekend times and during the week. Much better for good rates as well. They are a great bunch of folks to be around and we look forward to the camp outs. We don't make every outing for various reasons.

The event organizers for each outing will also schedule visiting things in each area. We eat very well, laugh a lot, share a lot of stories/experiences, play some card games, and just BS a bunch. Most of the camping will be discounted because of the groups size. The guys come from a variety of backgrounds but really know their RV's and have helped many, many times to fix all kinds of issues.

After 3 or 4 camping trips I was having coffee one morning with 8-10 of the guys and made this comment.

"We've been with you folks for 3 or 4 camp outs and there's two things I've noticed. "I've not seen one single person light up a cigarette and I don't believe there's a single Democrat either." Someones immediate response was, "Well if there's a Democrat in the group they don't have the guts to admit it yet."

Needless to say we all had a good laugh.

Some of the outings are at the same parks but usually 3-5 are in different locations, which adds some variety. In Sept we are going to the LR area and will do some volunteer work at a local rice pantry. The next month we are going to the only diamond mine where you can dig and keep any diamonds you find.

We will have WBGO owners as visitors attending camp outs with us. Sometimes a couple is passing through to their winter location and needs a friendly place to stop. If you are traveling in our area during the first week of any month look us up on the net and you can visit with us. The first outing is in March through December with July being the GNR in Iowa.

For us it's money well spent.

TeJay
Old 07-29-2015, 08:24 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Winnebago Itasca Travelers

I've been informed that this has recently been changed and now stands for Winnebago International Travelers. ( Thanks Petro )

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Bev & I have been a member of WIT for several years. WIT also has state clubs in each state. Under the state clubs they have regional chapters. I believe we feel we receive our moneys worth of value.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:35 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

We just returned from our second GNR last week. If you wonder about the worth of WIT, just go to one of those rallys and you will see that they do great work. WIT runs the whole thing with the help of Winnebago.

There are also other services such as insurance, caravans, ect. that they provide.

At the GNR there are many vendors that attend and also do service work. I had Coleman work on our water heater this time and guess what, no charge! Alao HWH replaced all of our jack springs for only a hundred dollars. Ever try to get into their facility for service?

We do not belong to any of the sub groups within WIT, but if we had more time we probably would.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:38 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I've been informed that this has recently been changed and now stands for Winnebago International Travelers. ( Thanks Petro )
That's correct. The name meaning changed twice...

1st - Winnebago Itasca Travellers (that's what they made)
2nd - Winnebago Industries Travelers (when they started making trailers)
3rd - Winnebago International Travelers (This was to include Canada and Australia where they are planning on expanding to this year)

Also, I think, to include everyone no matter where they are from. I imagine there are a few members in Europe and other continents too.

The WIT Club is at the least a good way to stay in contact with your rigs manufacturer and at most a great social network of local and state chapters and clubs and trips and of course the GNR (Grand National Rally) that just finished up last week. This yearly rally gets 800 to 1200 Winnebago RV's every July in Forest City, Iowa where the Winnebago factory is. Great tours available by the way at the factory available almost all year long.

Here are a few links to my wife's blog where she wrote about the Rally we just left:

.: Winnebago Factory Tours in Forest City, Iowa

.: Pre Rally Days at the Winnebago Rally Grounds in Forest City, Iowa

.: The Winnebago Customer Service Store at the 2015 Grand National Rally in Forest City, Iowa

.: Vendors at Friendship Hall at the 2015 Winnebago Grand National Rally in Forest City, Iowa

.: 2015 Winnebago Grand National Rally Opening Ceremony, Part II in Forest City, Iowa

.: Tonic Sol-Fa Performs at the Winnebago Grand National Rally in Forest City, Iowa

.: Eric & I Volunteer on People Movers at the Winnebago Grand National Rally in Forest City, Iowa

.: An Evening of Beatles Music with American English at the Winnebago Grand National Rally

.: The Closing Ceremony at the Winnebago Grand National Rally

.: The Volunteer Appreciation Brunch at the Winnebago Grand National Rally in Forest City, Iowa
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Your wife did not mention my favorite act. My 11 year old Grandson couldn't stop laughing at this group. Great music as well.

New Odyssey - 3 Guys, 30 Instruments, Top Shelf Entertainment for Performing Art Centers to Corporate Events
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:12 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Your wife did not mention my favorite act. My 11 year old Grandson couldn't stop laughing at this group. Great music as well.

New Odyssey - 3 Guys, 30 Instruments, Top Shelf Entertainment for Performing Art Centers to Corporate Events
she did a "New Odyssey" blog post too, it is here:
.: New Odyssey: 3 Guys Play 30 Instruments at the Winnebago Grand National Rally

I agree, that was one great show!
Old 07-29-2015, 09:45 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

As I understand it you no longer even have to own a Winnebago product to participate in the caravans or rallies. I'm not sure if you even have to join WIT to participate in the caravans or rallies.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:22 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Not sure about caravans but I am pretty sure you can only attend GNR in a Winnebago and the same for joining WIT. If I remember right they asked for my rvs serial number when we signed up 3 years ago
Old 07-29-2015, 10:23 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I'd be interested to hear if that requirement has ended.