Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2007, 12:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

While on the road and at overnight campgrounds, I would like to email family and friends back home. I'm thinking of a wireless internet card for my PC. Has anyone had experience with this and can recommend someone to go with: Verizon, Sprint, etc,? Is the coverage as good as my cell service? What about the speed? I'm tired of WiFi as its time consuming to connect and the daily rates can certainly add up. Appreciate hearing about your experiences and recommendations.
BradandJanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:55 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

While on the road and at overnight campgrounds, I would like to email family and friends back home. I'm thinking of a wireless internet card for my PC. Has anyone had experience with this and can recommend someone to go with: Verizon, Sprint, etc,? Is the coverage as good as my cell service? What about the speed? I'm tired of WiFi as its time consuming to connect and the daily rates can certainly add up. Appreciate hearing about your experiences and recommendations.
BradandJanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Hi -

There are several very useful discussions along those lines in the RV Systems and Technologies forum (right below this group).

Personally, I've had great luck with Verizon and a Kyocera aircard. Been thru most of the states east of the Mississippi (and quite a few west of it), and things have worked out well. I've found that if I have cell-coverage I can get aircard coverage too, since it's basically using the same network. Most towns/cities of any size these days also have broadband-speed coverage which, although it isn't quite as fast as cable, is pretty darn good especially when you're sitting there relaxing in a great campground and pecking away on the laptop.

Thanks!
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have had Sprint for over 3 years now the 2 coaches next to me one has Alltel and the other with Sincular. The coverage is same as a digital phone service along the interstates except few northern most states usually very good. Speed is better than 56K modem away from big cities business areas around 88K and twice that with the newest cards in big cities. The coverage is available on line at each companies web site usually in the business accounts area at least on Sprint. The companies offer a dedicated modem card or phones that have the ability to act as a modem with software and a special USB cable. Unlimited internet access is not cheap on any of the plans I know about.
KennethM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:38 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I use Cingular service and use my regular cell phone as a modem. The phone has to ability to work via Cingular's "Edge" network. This works quite well with speeds upto 230kB but in reality it is usually around 130-150kB, which is still 3x faster than dialup. We traveled cross country and back last year and had service most of the time. If your cell service works, internet access will also work.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I use Verizon with the Kyocera KPC650 and have had connections where ever I have cell phone coverage. I do have to use an external antenna, which the KPC 650 supports. I have to admit I haven't been too far from the Interstates.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:50 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Sorry to hear you've soured on WiFi just when it seems to be getting better. We returned in late Nov. from a 6 month trip and the majority of the campgrounds had WiFi. And, at most of them, it was free - and no password, just turn on the laptop, let it find the network, click "Connect" and it's done! We made a similiar trip in '03 and just the opposite was true - almost no WiFi, and if they had it, you had to pay. We were astounded at the change in 3 years. Competition is really working for us. Even most of the KOAs had free WiFi...

For those times when we don't have WiFi, I use Verizon. If you're in an area of digital coverage, you have internet access. I can't give you the exact speed numbers, but it's plenty fast enough - way faster than dialup. I think Verizon's digital coverage is as good or better than the other companies on a nationwide basis. If you're primarily in one part of the country there might be a better choice for coverage. Verizon has never let us down unless we were way off the beaten path.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:31 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I also use Cingular and I need to update my phone. What phone are you using?

Nick, Journey '01
Old 01-13-2007, 09:47 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I also use Cingular and I need to update my phone. What phone are you using? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use the Cingular 8125, which comes complete with an USB cable to attach the phone as a modem to my laptop. Software drivers are included to use the phone as a modem.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:15 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We use Verizon with the Kyocera KPC650 with the attached antenna, and have had great luck with it! On our current trip (24 campgrounds) we have only had no access once. It is not always blazing fast, althought tonight it is showing 324.6k. It almost always beats a dialup!

WiFi is still usually faster, but not always available, or worse, not free!

At about $60/month, it's nice to stay in contact with the world (from the camper)....
Norm Newhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:30 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I use Sprint and with the newer EVDO card which is faster than the older protocol they were using. I also have a Linksys Router that I plug the card into. This allows a "local" WI-FI connection to laptops. It also allow me to print to a printer attached the router via the WI-FI connection on the Laptop. This may be overkill for most folks but I use the coach as a moving office and this allows me the full funtionality that I need. The coverage has been very good.