Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-16-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winterizing for PNW?

We keep our Winnebago at an RV resort in Birch Bay Wa. We keep an oil filled radiator heater on 24/7 in the bathroom as well as a Camfro 1500 watt marine heater on low in the Galley. Coach stays about 62 degrees over night when its minus 6C out Or 25F and warms up to 70 during the day, I know this because we just overnighted on the coach last night. I also keep the propane furnace set on low, 45 degrees, in case of a power failure to prevent freeze up! The city water hose froze solid over night, but we were able to use holding tank water OK. I just replaced the city water hose with a 25' Pirit heated water hose from camping world $109.00 so that should solve the fresh water freeze up. We plan on using the MOHO every other weekend over the winter (as a stationary cabin), so I don't want to do a full blown winterization and undo every 2 weeks! My question is have I done enough or am I asking for trouble? what do you other part timers and live aboards do?
Milom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

jules6, unless your gas furnace runs plumbing under the floor (water heater, water pump, water lines and holding tanks) can freeze.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Follow the advise for camping in this link you plumbing maybe in your insulated floor just check.
If a plastic floor in wet bay put insulating blanket on floor to help with the heat.
With your furnace on sounds ok to me your all set especially with your high day temps.
It will take days of freezing weather in your area to do any damage.
Just keep the LP tank filled.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I put a 200 watt "personal" heater in the wet bay since the only heat for it is from the propane furnace and I don't run it in storage. I also put a couple 1500 watt heaters inside and a couple small fans blowing into the areas under the sing and behind the washer/dryer. Never had any troubles with that setup here in the Pacific North Wet. It was 20° a couple days ago and supposed to be 22° tonight.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

If you have an ice maker you need to ensure the water line does not freeze and break the line.

I would recommend you turn off the water at the hydrant (and stow the water hose) when you are away from your rig

skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I would get a freeze alarm that hooks to something like verizon home connect or a cheap pay as you go cell phone. You can set a temp that if it hits or goes below you will get a call so you know you have a problem that requires assistance. I reverse it to high temp in summer when pups in coach. Amazon has them or direct to Control Products.
cpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

You should be ok BUT if it gets below 20 for a day or so you should consider heat in the underside below the floor of the coach. If it was me I wouldn't worry as you're close to the water that's somewhat warmer. Lived there for 30 years.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

We went from a Class C Winne Minne 24V to a new 2014 Winne Vista 27N this March, and weren't quite ready to quit for the winter, so when this recent Seattle 'cold snap' hit, we thought we could get by with keeping some space heaters in the bathroom/kitchen and setting the coach gas heater to 40'; I'm thinking my 3 'leaks' now were due to the 17degrees we reached and ignorance with how cold the basements get where the water pump is located, so lessons learned with this new layout. Either make sure there's heat source throughout including basements, or just winterize regardless.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:40 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We're in a similar winter climate in the top end of mainland Washington State. overnight temps below 25F are rare and daytime highs below freezing even rarer.

In the 4 years we've owned our MH, I've used an air compressor to blow out all the plumbing lines (takes about 20 minutes). We always store with the FW tank empty and the holding tanks dumped, even if just for a few days between trips. I've never had a frozen pipes issue.

Tags
winter