Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2005, 07:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi to all

We just got back from a two month trip from CA to Oregon and Washington - wonderful trip and really no complaints EXCEPT the driving at night with the headlights makes us wish our headlights were brighter without being on high beam. We have a 2004 Winnebago Brave and wonder if others have had this complaint or what they did about it. I have read you can change your headlight bulbs to ones with more power but you have to be careful about the power of the replacements. Can anyone tell me if they have changed their headlight bulbs and which would be safe to use to get more power. Thanks for any info.
Darlene
Darlene7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 07:11 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi to all

We just got back from a two month trip from CA to Oregon and Washington - wonderful trip and really no complaints EXCEPT the driving at night with the headlights makes us wish our headlights were brighter without being on high beam. We have a 2004 Winnebago Brave and wonder if others have had this complaint or what they did about it. I have read you can change your headlight bulbs to ones with more power but you have to be careful about the power of the replacements. Can anyone tell me if they have changed their headlight bulbs and which would be safe to use to get more power. Thanks for any info.
Darlene
Darlene7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Get some SYLVANIA SILVERSTAR LAMPS/LIGHTS

A lot brighter, legal in all states and easy to install. Direct replacements with no worry about power requirements.

Any auto parts store or maybe even Wally World

PHE
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 04:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I would definitely recommend the silverstars. Or even the PIAA ones...but be careful of the watt ratings on the bulbs. 1)as you mentioned, too much wattage and the wiring/relays may not be designed for them. 2)the headlight housing may not be designed for the higher wattage (higher heat and no venting).

the silverstars are the same wattage, just a whiter color vs the yellow color.

If you really want more light...install a pair of aux driving lights...PIAA are very very very bright.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

What are aux driving lights?
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 05:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Your 2004 Brave has good old sealed beam headlights. They should perform pretty well, if aimed right. Good news is, sealed beams are easy to aim, they are designed such the face of the lights should be straight and plumb. You can use a small level to get them plumb, that'll set the low/high aim. After that you should be able to see if they are aimed straight ahead. The headlights on my Advnturer were WAY out of alignment. I'd start there, get them at least working as intended. Then try the Silverstars.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 06:14 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I gotta agree with tderonne...
My Brave 34D stock headlights seem fine at night, now that I reaimed them. I pulled up in front of a big store wall in a level shopping plaza parking lot at night and aimed them; -they were too low from the factory.