Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2015, 06:15 AM   #41
Winnebago Master

We originally bought the Blaster lubricant for the slide motors. It didn't seem to do much so we ordered the CRC. It was like night and day difference. The slide motors and couplings stopped making noise and ran much smoother.

After that we tried it on the other things that move and it seemed to work very well. One thing I did notice is that when I used the CRC there seemed to be a heavier film of the white powder left on the moving parts after the propellant dried.

I'm not surprised the 303 also worked. When we went to a Winnebago maintenance seminar at the 2014 GNR the presenter suggested using it on the slides to minimize the resistance when opening and closing. He said he'd put an ammeter in the slide motor circuit for test purposes. He recorded the readings both before and after applying 303 and the results were significant. I can't remember the exact numbers, but as I recall the amperage draw was about 30% less after the 303 had been applied.
I apply it to the ends of the slides after every washing. I don't know how much good it's doing, but I'll try almost anything that can keep the Lippert slide motors functioning properly
Old 09-05-2015, 09:50 AM   #42
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
The CRC Power Lube goes on wet and leaves a white coating when dried. It only takes a couple minutes for it to dry. This is the stuff Winnebago recommends for slide motors and gaskets.

We also tried other products including the Blaster before buying the CRC. None seemed to work as well as the Power Lube with PTFE. I have no connection with either Winnebago or CRC other than the fact that what they recommended seems to work.
I'm with you on the CRC :http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s00

Works great on most everything. My slide tracks are very happy with it and even my jacks.

Rick Y
Old 09-05-2015, 10:32 AM   #43
Winnie-Wise

No issues for us. Have called several times.

At Lichtsinn (correct spelling) and tech identified jack issue. Lippert tech decided that all four jacks needed to be replaced. No jacks in parts so WBGO took the jacks out of production. On the road the next day.

Thanks Lichtsinn and Winnebago.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:03 AM   #44
Winnebago Owner

OK, OK I ordered two cans of CRC Power Lube Industrial yesterday. Don't know how I survived this long without the stuff.

Looks like we can throw away the spray can of PAM also.

TeJay

I finally had to write Lichtsinn Motors on my list of words to spell. Just couldn't get it correct.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:02 PM   #45
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
No issues for us. Have called several times.

At Lichtsinn (correct spelling) and tech identified jack issue. Lippert tech decided that all four jacks needed to be replaced. No jacks in parts so WBGO took the jacks out of production. On the road the next day.

Thanks Lichtsinn and Winnebago.
I love reports like this one. I just wish they were more frequent. What year is your QD? It must still be under new warranty to get Winnebago to pull from the line.

A side note: I love the layout of the QD. Our problem is length. The projects we volunteer at are few and far between that can handle over 40'. That is why we have the 40U. We love it but would have enjoyed the extra bath.

Another funny side note. A friend on this forum needed a 120vac outlet up front but could only see the one by the passengers seat. Yesterday he found the one behind the windshield shades. He has a 2012 40U and I think he bought it new. These coaches do have good power and most of the locations are convenient.

Back on topic. Lichtsinn is a real blessing to Winnebago and one of the best service dealers in the country from all of the reports I read about them on this forum.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 09-07-2015, 09:19 AM   #46
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I love reports like this one. I just wish they were more frequent. What year is your QD? It must still be under new warranty to get Winnebago to pull from the line.

A side note: I love the layout of the QD. Our problem is length. The projects we volunteer at are few and far between that can handle over 40'. That is why we have the 40U. We love it but would have enjoyed the extra bath.

Another funny side note. A friend on this forum needed a 120vac outlet up front but could only see the one by the passengers seat. Yesterday he found the one behind the windshield shades. He has a 2012 40U and I think he bought it new. These coaches do have good power and most of the locations are convenient.

Back on topic. Lichtsinn is a real blessing to Winnebago and one of the best service dealers in the country from all of the reports I read about them on this forum.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Hi Rick;
Yes, our QD was under warranty at the time.

I had the feeling though from speaking with the service adviser that this was not exceptional service for them. I think we would get the same service if we were out of warranty.

I have spoken with Ron Lichtsinn several times. He often goes through the waiting area and speaks with clients. He is totally focused on providing a good experience for his customers. I think it is a smart business philosophy. Based on our experience I have recommended his business often.

Regarding the length I have the confidence that if the lot is long enough I will be able to work the coach into the spot. (With a couple caveats. The road cannot be a single track trail, and any overhanging trees have to be taller than the coach.)

If it is really tight I do not try to back in with one pass but will back in with the rear end angled over the pad and then work the front end around so the coach becomes parallel to the pad, sort of like parallel parking. If you watch a good truck driver they seem to be able to wiggle their unit into some very tight spots. They make it look easy and can do it quite quickly, I take a lot longer and get out often to check angles and clearances. Note: I would not attempt this if only staying for a few days.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:54 AM   #47
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Hi Rick;
Yes, our QD was under warranty at the time.

I had the feeling though from speaking with the service adviser that this was not exceptional service for them. I think we would get the same service if we were out of warranty.

I have spoken with Ron Lichtsinn several times. He often goes through the waiting area and speaks with clients. He is totally focused on providing a good experience for his customers. I think it is a smart business philosophy. Based on our experience I have recommended his business often.

Regarding the length I have the confidence that if the lot is long enough I will be able to work the coach into the spot. (With a couple caveats. The road cannot be a single track trail, and any overhanging trees have to be taller than the coach.)

If it is really tight I do not try to back in with one pass but will back in with the rear end angled over the pad and then work the front end around so the coach becomes parallel to the pad, sort of like parallel parking. If you watch a good truck driver they seem to be able to wiggle their unit into some very tight spots. They make it look easy and can do it quite quickly, I take a lot longer and get out often to check angles and clearances. Note: I would not attempt this if only staying for a few days.
Hey Gordon. Little roads are still a challenge for the 40U. Don't forget. This is your rig less that beautiful full bath in the rear.

I think it is funny how we often compare our stiff backed coaches to 18 wheelers. I think we would be wiser to compare to a good bus driver in a stiff back continental traveling tour bus. There is no way I could put this rig into some of the holes that a trucker can maneuver into. On my last project the coach nose was barely off the road and I was back about as far as I could go and still get to my step ladders hanging on the rear. Your rig would have been 3' into the road. We each chose for our lifestyle needs (though I might be a bit jealous of you from time to time).

Happy trails friend, and continue to be wise in the road choices. Now, the GPS choices can provide a surprise to us from time to time...

Rick Y
Old 09-08-2015, 08:19 AM   #48
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
OK, OK I ordered two cans of CRC Power Lube Industrial yesterday. Don't know how I survived this long without the stuff.

Looks like we can throw away the spray can of PAM also.

TeJay

I finally had to write Lichtsinn Motors on my list of words to spell. Just couldn't get it correct.

Hey TeJay. Don't forget to toss the extra virgin olive oil while your at it.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:31 PM   #49
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Hey Gordon. Little roads are still a challenge for the 40U. Don't forget. This is your rig less that beautiful full bath in the rear.

I think it is funny how we often compare our stiff backed coaches to 18 wheelers. I think we would be wiser to compare to a good bus driver in a stiff back continental traveling tour bus. There is no way I could put this rig into some of the holes that a trucker can maneuver into. On my last project the coach nose was barely off the road and I was back about as far as I could go and still get to my step ladders hanging on the rear. Your rig would have been 3' into the road. We each chose for our lifestyle needs (though I might be a bit jealous of you from time to time).

Happy trails friend, and continue to be wise in the road choices. Now, the GPS choices can provide a surprise to us from time to time...

Rick Y
I used to design roads and the worst turning vehicle given consideration in roadway geometry was a bus. They had to be able to make a turn from the highway onto an approach road with one pass. So the radius of the intersection corners were adjusted to accomodate them. Those units do not have anywhere near the cuts that are now included in our units. Some of the older ones were really dogs when it came to turning. That being said you are correct that not many bus drivers would be parking in a campsite.

I would be really reluctant to attempt putting the coach into a site that was shorter than the length. Good way to get the front end damaged by passing campers.

I have wiggled into a couple spots where the road was just wide enough for me to back part way into the site and then "walk" the front end around to line up with the site and then continue to back in. In those cases there were obstacles at the side of the site. No idea why they think big rocks make a campground attractive.

Having anything more than 35' will eliminate us from some of the older more established campgrounds. Trees growing up, shrubs planted between campsites, narrow roads. Knew that going into the process and accept it.

I also believe that some locations understate their size in order to discourage some who are not proficient in parking their rigs. It would save both from the frustration and anger of backing into a campsite.

Yes - we follow the GPS and keep a vigiliant eye on where it takes us. Only once so far did I have to wait for an intersection to clear so I could make the turn. Everyone was helpful and we did make the turn.

Rick - thanks for the well wishes. Best to you as well. May your roads be straight and smooth and the wind at your back.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:40 AM   #50
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I would be really reluctant to attempt putting the coach into a site that was shorter than the length. Good way to get the front end damaged by passing campers.

Sometimes you can be well within the campsite boundaries and still get hit. In 2007 we went to Alaska on a WIT caravan. One of our members was well within the campsite boundaries when a truck pulling a 5th wheel trailer came around the corner.

The driver took the corner very wide so the front of the trailer went even wider. His awning caught the rear slide cover on one of our coaches. It tore the thing completely off and he never even knew he hit it.

Fortunately one of our members saw it happen and flagged the driver to a stop. Their insurance did pay for the damage, but the motorhome owners spent a month in Alaska without the slide cover.

Tags
service, winnebago