Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago Basement Air - Generator - Compressor Question on Amps???

When I start up my Onan 5500 Generator and turn on my A/C, the amp reading on my Power Manager is 14.

The set temp is 65, the cabin temp is 85.

I was under the impression that I should expect BOTH compressors to kick in, creating a demand of around 20 - 24 amps.

Could someone explain to me what is going on here?

I'm wondering if I have a problem bringing the second compressor up.
The unit IS pushing cold air and the temp is slowly dropping.

Let me know if I'm missing something.

Thanks.
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

just posting so I can follow your post. my 2002 adventure does the same thing, and I was told that both compressors shoud run wit the gen. so am curious to the response you get.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The numbers you are expecting are correct. You are also correct in expecting your thermostat setting to activate both compressors. Have you checked breakers? That is as far as I can take you. LOL

Certainly there are other things to look for such as starting capaciters and such but hopefully someone more informed than me can take you to the next step.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Both of our compressors run when there is more than a 2 degree difference between the thermostat set-point and coach temperature even while on generator power. I would guess that if you were plugged into shore power and both compressors ran it would be generator issue.
A 5500 watt generator should handle up-wards of 45 amps. I would say that perhaps other things could be drawing power from the generator and some "load shedding" device may have the second stage compressor off, but you said that you were reading only 14 amps.
It could be any number of issues on the A/C side; thermostat malfunction, start capacitor, contactor, wire connections etc...typically there's a time delay between first and second stage operation, but usually only about 5 minutes.
I would start by seeing if the second compressor ran while on shore power to rule some generator issue.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv12 View Post
Both of our compressors run when there is more than a 2 degree difference between the thermostat set-point and coach temperature even while on generator power. I would guess that if you were plugged into shore power and both compressors ran it would be generator issue.
A 5500 watt generator should handle up-wards of 45 amps. I would say that perhaps other things could be drawing power from the generator and some "load shedding" device may have the second stage compressor off, but you said that you were reading only 14 amps.
It could be any number of issues on the A/C side; thermostat malfunction, start capacitor, contactor, wire connections etc...typically there's a time delay between first and second stage operation, but usually only about 5 minutes.
I would start by seeing if the second compressor ran while on shore power to rule some generator issue.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Thanks,
As far as the 'Load Shedding'...the AC is the only thing running.
This was my monthly run of the generator and I always use the AC as a high amp draw to 'exercise' the Onan.

I am plugged into the garage outlet (20a), so I will try the AC on line power sometime today on line power.

Thanks again,
Paul
Old 09-02-2012, 07:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I would check both breakers on genset as I each compressor is on separate breaker.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Your reading on your EMS panel is correct. You are running both compressors but can only see #1 because number 2 is running off of your 20 amp breaker which is not monitored by your panel. This is the correct wiring for your generator. Enjoy your newfound power!
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

On my read out it is about 14 with one compressor running and 23 or so when both are running.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDchief View Post
Your reading on your EMS panel is correct. You are running both compressors but can only see #1 because number 2 is running off of your 20 amp breaker which is not monitored by your panel. This is the correct wiring for your generator. Enjoy your newfound power!
You may have something there.
UPDATE....................

Here is what I did:

I found both AC breakers in my main pane (one was 30a, the other 20a)l, turned both all the way off, then back on again. Now I know they are set properly.

I plugged in the shore line to my garage outlet.
Then I turned on my Air Conditioner. Amps went to 14a, then after about 5 seconds, I heard a 'sound' and amps went up to 20a. I expect that the second compressor kicked in from the sound.

Air coming out of the vents was cold.
When the coach temp was 1 degree below the set temp, the AC automatically shut off.

So, I will conclude that both compressors are working, at least on shore power.

Now, what is going on with the Generator? I only see an amp load of 14a with the AC on.
At suggested, either there is a malfunction in one of the switches or the Load Center is not wired to pick the 2nd compressor load.

I will call Winnebago on Tuesday and try to get some insight from their Customer Svc. rep.

In the meantine.....any comments, suggestions or things to try from the Forum?

Thanks for all of the advice and comments, so far.
The saga will continue............
Regards,
Paul
Old 09-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Sounds like you found the issues. It may be the generator or the power management system. It would be a good idea to call, of course on Holiday weekend that may mean a few days. You might want consider posting a new thread to "RV Systems & Technologies" forum. Maybe even do an on-line search for your Onan and Power Control system.
There are a whole lot of helpful folks on here with a bunch of experience and outside links.

Good Luck and please keep us updated!
Old 09-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

You do not have a problem with the compressor. As FDchief mentioned, that second 20 amp breaker on the generator goes directly to the compressor and is not monitored by the EMS when on gen power. If you want to confirm this you can either monitor the air output temperaure at your vents with and without that breaker on and note the difference. Or you can expose the breaker on the genset by pulling the panel it mounts to and put an amp probe on the wire and see the current.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDchief View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by krautkamper View Post
You do not have a problem with the compressor. As FDchief mentioned, that second 20 amp breaker on the generator goes directly to the compressor and is not monitored by the EMS when on gen power. If you want to confirm this you can either monitor the air output temperaure at your vents with and without that breaker on and note the difference. Or you can expose the breaker on the genset by pulling the panel it mounts to and put an amp probe on the wire and see the current.
Thank You for the input.....here is what I got from Winnebago Customer Service. This may be a little more detail of what you just explained.

First, I would like to thank you for all of your time and recommendations. Because of your efforts, I was able to talk intelligently to the Winnie Rep with the knowledge of what was going on.

Now, the result:
According to Winnie;

On Shore Power, the 2nd compressor DOES go through the Main Breaker Panel (recall A/C Circuit #2 breaker).
This is why I was able to 'turn the 2nd compressor off' using the breaker.
And, the EMS sees this load and it is shown as an amp draw on the Load readout. Hence, the jump in amps when the 2nd compressor kicks in.

On Gen Power, the 2nd compressor is NOT SEEN by the EMS, thus the amp draw is not detected by the Load Center. As the wiring diagram shows, the 2nd compressor is wired direct from the Transfer Switch. So, It DOES NOT go through the EMS.
Hence, you will NOT see the amp draw on the readout.

So, how does this difference in wiring routes occur?

Winnie tells me that this is all sensed and taken care of in the Transfer Switch (need to look at the detailed wiring of the Transfer Switch to understand this) . This Transfer Switch knows when you are on shore power and directs the current through the Main Panel which contains the "Loop Sensor (amprobe)" that sends the signal to the EMS Load Readout (amps).
Hence, you will 'see'' both amp loads when each compressor kicks in.

When on Gen Power, this 2nd Compressor circuit is direct wired to the compressor and not seen by the Loop Sensor. Hence, NO signal for the 2nd compressor amp load is detected and cannot be sent to the Load readout. You will see only the amp load from Compressor #1.

I think I finally understand this set-up!!!

I hope this is a help for all of those that contributed to this Topic.
Thanks for all of your replies.

Regards,
Paul
Old 09-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

OK...now I am officially cornfused. LOL

When I am on genset I see 14 amps on my EMS with compressor #1 running and 21-22 when compressor #2 kicks in. Based on what I am reading, I should not see any change when #2 kicks in.

Of course, that doesn't even begin to apply to the EMS on 50 amp shore power since the EMS doesn't report amp usage in that case.

Could this be specific to certain models?
Old 09-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by athuddriver View Post
OK...now I am officially cornfused. LOL

When I am on genset I see 14 amps on my EMS with compressor #1 running and 21-22 when compressor #2 kicks in. Based on what I am reading, I should not see any change when #2 kicks in.

Of course, that doesn't even begin to apply to the EMS on 50 amp shore power since the EMS doesn't report amp usage in that case.

Could this be specific to certain models?
Go to this wiring diagram:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_154822.pdf

From what you describe, you must have a 50a Shore line.
If so, according to the Winnebago wiring schematic for your unit, 50a, BOTH A/C Circuits (Compressor #1 & #2) "go through" the Sensor Loop and, thus, should be detected on your Load readout.

I do not see any direct wiring to the Compressor #2, as I have described.
The 30a shore line for your Model would act as I have described in my previous reply.

So, if you have a 50a shore line, you are seeing exactly what you should be seeing.

Please let us know if your service is 50a.

Regards,
Paul

PS: I may try to edit my reply to ensure that it is understood that I have a 30a line.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie32v View Post
Thank You for the input.....here is what I got from Winnebago Customer Service. This may be a little more detail of what you just explained.

First, I would like to thank you for all of your time and recommendations. Because of your efforts, I was able to talk intelligently to the Winnie Rep with the knowledge of what was going on.

Now, the result:
According to Winnie;

On Shore Power, the 2nd compressor DOES go through the Main Breaker Panel (recall A/C Circuit #2 breaker).
This is why I was able to 'turn the 2nd compressor off' using the breaker.
And, the EMS sees this load and it is shown as an amp draw on the Load readout. Hence, the jump in amps when the 2nd compressor kicks in.

On Gen Power, the 2nd compressor is NOT SEEN by the EMS, thus the amp draw is not detected by the Load Center. As the wiring diagram shows, the 2nd compressor is wired direct from the Transfer Switch. So, It DOES NOT go through the EMS.
Hence, you will NOT see the amp draw on the readout.

So, how does this difference in wiring routes occur?

Winnie tells me that this is all sensed and taken care of in the Transfer Switch (need to look at the detailed wiring of the Transfer Switch to understand this) . This Transfer Switch knows when you are on shore power and directs the current through the Main Panel which contains the "Loop Sensor (amprobe)" that sends the signal to the EMS Load Readout (amps).
Hence, you will 'see'' both amp loads when each compressor kicks in.

When on Gen Power, this 2nd Compressor circuit is direct wired to the compressor and not seen by the Loop Sensor. Hence, NO signal for the 2nd compressor amp load is detected and cannot be sent to the Load readout. You will see only the amp load from Compressor #1.

I think I finally understand this set-up!!!

I hope this is a help for all of those that contributed to this Topic.
Thanks for all of your replies.

Regards,
Paul
I wasn't able to edit my original response, SO.....I want to clarify that my investigation was for a 30a shore line NOT a 50a.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie32v View Post
Go to this wiring diagram:
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_154822.pdf

From what you describe, you must have a 50a Shore line....
I missed the important point that in a 30 amp RV genset would split the 20 amps directly to compressor #2. Yes, I have a 50 amp set up and this makes more sense to me...I'm uncornfused now.

THANKS!!!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Your welcome.
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, generator, winnebago