Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2006, 06:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

After diving into my own Sat Dish Install this weekend, I can't believe there is no other alternative than these very primative Winegard Video Spliters. Every feed into and out of my juction point is Coax, the worst you can get as far as signal is concerned. I am trying to hook up a newer H20 Direct TV box to my new Kingdome 9762LP in-motion Sat Dome. The best picture would be with an HDMI cable, but short of that, component video cable would be fine. The dilema is the splitter. If I want to connect it to the splitter, I have to transform it all the way back to coax which would be the worst resolution. Does anyone know of another Video Distribution hub other than Winegard that will accept at least S-Video feeds??

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 06:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

After diving into my own Sat Dish Install this weekend, I can't believe there is no other alternative than these very primative Winegard Video Spliters. Every feed into and out of my juction point is Coax, the worst you can get as far as signal is concerned. I am trying to hook up a newer H20 Direct TV box to my new Kingdome 9762LP in-motion Sat Dome. The best picture would be with an HDMI cable, but short of that, component video cable would be fine. The dilema is the splitter. If I want to connect it to the splitter, I have to transform it all the way back to coax which would be the worst resolution. Does anyone know of another Video Distribution hub other than Winegard that will accept at least S-Video feeds??

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 04-17-2006, 02:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Trace - did you get the dome installed?

The Winegard product is 15 years behind the needs of the market. Switching channel 3 or channel 4 video around is the worst way to enjoy a TV picture to the capabilities of the electronics.

Rat Shack sells (or used to sell) an amplified four output S-Video splitter (one input and four output composite/S-video) that might work for you.

We are taking the coach to King Controls in Minneapolis probably next week (after we are done here in Winnie-Land) to get our long-standing problem resolved with losing even transponders in the early morning hours.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Yup, the Shack still has a good selection of video switch boxes. Just picked one up for my home TV (1992 - one S-video input). It was a little while ago, but if I remember right, they even had one with a remote.

I run the front TV directly off the S-video out for the DSS. The rear TV, being only 19" does ok on the coax. If I had more than the DSS (A DVD or something) I'd be adding another switch box, or replacing it all together.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Educate me please. I have the same dome antenna as Tracy (it's working fine now) and have also been bothered that the input is via coax all the way to the TV.

There is coax from the antenna to the de-stacker (coax only) to the receiver (DVR) then to the switch box (coax only) and finally to the TV.

Where would you change cable formats and what good would it do? What equipment would be needed?

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Adrian,

I don't use the Winegard switch box except to watch off-the-air TV or cable. When I watch satellite or a DVD, I switch the TV video input to (let's say) video 1 for satellite, video 2 for DVD/VHS. I pulled out the TV and re-cabled everything; I use S-Video from the DirecTV/Tivo to the TV, I use component video from the DVD/VHS player to the TV.

It was a bit of a pain to pull out that glass monster, but I'm glad I did.

The rear TV has its own sat receiver which is fed by an LNB mounted on the Datastorm dish. I also feed that TV via S-Video.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:55 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

John,

Thanks a lot - now I understandand I can do the same thing at least for the front TV. I will leave the back TV alone for a long list of issues.

I could wire the DVR to Video 1 and the DVD / VHS to Video 2. Then leave the KD satellite antenna through the video switcher as it is today.

DVD / VHS is an obvious benefit.

The DVR video quality will still be limited to the coax connection from the KD to the DVR. At least there would not be any further degradation between the DVR and the TV.

Thanks - that will be on my project list to be done soon.

Hope things are going good for you at the factory.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 04-17-2006, 07:59 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Hey Guys,

In relation to the post, yes I did get my King Dome Installed. I currently have a call into tech support, however, because I'm not seeing any signal higher than 60% which I think is rather low. I used Winnie's pre-installed cable and Kingdomes cable with no difference either way. I am clear to the south and the dome is "locking" so there isn't a problem seeing the bird, just how much signal the unit is feeding through.

Secondly, I use a similar configuration in my stick house, a 4 port S-Video juction box which I think is made by CE Labs. They also sell another version strictly for Component video as well. Anyways, the problem as you may already know it is would entail running S-video and audio cable to the rear tv from the front TV and to the exterior TV from the same location. The exterior TV is pretty simple, just straight down, but the rear TV would be another story. I think I could accomplish this going under the coach and trying to use some of the same feed holes used by Winnebago. Long story short, that is a bunch of work although it would look nice since each of my TV's is capable of at least S-Video Inputs if not Component Video Inputs (not sure about the rear Sharp Unit yet). Has anyone had the pleasure of installing the new H20 box from DTV?. They want a 2YR agreement JUST to activate it!!. I may switch to another box to move away from that deal. Not sure yet..

ON ADDITION: Can a sat box output to each of it's outputs at the same time? I was always under the impression once you chose say component video, then you couldn't also hook up equipment to the s-video or composite video outputs. If it can, then I could output the composite video (using a composite to coax converter) back to the splitter for the rear bedroom TV (and exterior TV) since they are relatively small and wouldn't notice the grain too much, but then use the component video side to output to the main TV. That's the best idea I've come up with yet.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 04-17-2006, 08:01 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

[QUOTE]Originally posted by John_Canfield:
... I pulled out the TV and re-cabled everything; I use S-Video from the DirecTV/Tivo to the TV, I use component video from the DVD/VHS player to the TV.

It was a bit of a pain to pull out that glass monster, but I'm glad I did.

QUOTE]

John,

How did you get that TV out of there??? Is it stuck down to the shelf and how did you not scratch the cabinetry??

Thanks

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 04-17-2006, 12:06 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Tracy,

To get the TV out - assuming you mean the front TV - look under the shelf - oops - you have the fireplace - see if you can see anything of the bottom of the shelf the TV sits on - I have 2 bolts that I think will let the TV come out. I have not had mine out yet but I think that is how it will come out. You MAY have to remover the fireplace - ugh!

I am in Las Vegas right now - not that far from you. If you will tell me how to see what the signal strenght is I will check mine. We have the same antenna (dome).

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 04-17-2006, 12:12 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Trace,

On my coach's front TV, there are the following restraints:

-Large metal band around the entire TV ("U" shape) with a stud/nut that must be loosened. The nuts are just inside the cabinet left and right corners at the front under the TV shelf

-I think there is a safety cable that you can see by lying on your back and looking up at the bottom of the shelf. It should be evident how to remove it

-I think (it's been a few months since I've had the TV out) there are a couple of screws that you can also see from the bottom of the shelf that capture something else on the bottom of the TV

-The Horizon (at least the 2005 model) has two little wooden trim pieces that fill a gap to the right and left of the center TV "foot". You need to pry these out.

There will be a good chance that you might booger up the bottom wooden rail when you slide out the TV. Try taping the wood to avoid damage.

It is difficult to PULL out the TV - a better approach is to PUSH in a corner enough to where you can get a grip on it.

BEST idea - take out the TV and give it away and get an LCD. That's what I'm dying to do

Regarding simultaneous video outs: On all of the satellite receivers and cable digital boxes I have ever owned, the all output a video signal to all available video out ports. I think your idea would work fine.

Regarding King Dome signal strength: 60 is fine. 50 is okay. You will start to have receiver drop-outs only when you get into the 30s. I have seen our signal strength actually over 100 in clear skies during the winter (low humidity I suppose); we are running a signal strength in the 50s and 60s here in Forest City but I'll bet if I clean my dome that will improve.

Old 04-17-2006, 01:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thanks both John and Adrian,

I'm NOT looking forward to yanking out the TV. In an interesting possibility, I may try and open up a "panel" that I can access behind the TV. In my coach, I have a strange cabinet door just behind the passengers seat. Why it is there, I don't know. Maybe someone else here does. The door leads to a large opening about 1 foot wide by 4 foot long and about 6 inches deep which maybe was originally meant for umbrellas, a gun, again, not sure. Anyhow, I can cut through the wood panel behind the door (I didn't see it screwed in) and would easily be able to access the rear of the TV from there. I found a solution that may work. Here is the URL Component Video + Audio to Cat 5. I also found a component video output + audio distribution amp CE Labs CV + Audio Distribution Amp that you could use inside the cabinet somewhere. If you route a CAT6E cable for instance using this device, you should be able to watch full 1080i video on the rear TV and outdoor TV if you wanted to go that far. It might be the easiest solution yet. Any ideas on that cabinets function would be appreciated.

Thanks

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 04-17-2006, 01:21 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Oh my gosh - I love that solution!

I've thought about going to HD but that's another quantum leap with the electronics. If I change out the LR TV I will go to HD so that I can at least watch over-the-air HD. I don't think I want to replace my R10 Tivo for the HD version.

Actually I have had that TV out twice and it really wasn't *that* bad. The first time was the worst!

Old 04-17-2006, 01:38 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I am still amazed that with all the NEW electronic stuff, we are still stuck with a 15 year old winegard switcher for lack of anything better.

John, we need to invent a new switcher for all of these coaches, Winnie included!!!

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 04-18-2006, 05:22 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Tracy,

Are you using the Component Video to CAT5 to get HDTV to the bedroom TV? Do you plan to use a booster for the LR TV also?

Also - not a bad idea for getting to the back of your TV especially if you do not have access to the bolts under the shelf the TV is on due to the fireplace.

John - I picked up a DirecTV DVR (R-15) at Best Buy for $100. Then DirecTV does a $100 rebate. Just got my rebate check a couple of weeks ago. Netcost = $0. The R-15 does not need a phone line and is HDTV ready. For free it is not a bad deal but not sure I would not spend the money for a TIVO if I had to do it again.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD