Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2015, 12:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winegard Trav'ler Roofmount Dish high wind concern

I finally got my Satellite dish up and receiving what it is supposed too! I keep the rig in beautiful Birch Bay WA. Unfortunatly I did not think about retracting/stowing the Dish and left it up! I am now at home looking at the severe wind warning advisory for the PNW expecting gusts of up to 65 mph near the water What kind of wind force is a factory installed Dish engineered to withstand? Do you guys leave your dishes up when your units are unattended? Should I be worried? This is the first time in 3 years of ownership that I have used the dish.
Thanks for any replies
Milo
Milom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:32 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I've been using a Winegard Travler dish for almost 6 years on the my previous MH. It has withstood the best blows that Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico and Arizona have to offer. No worries. Seen more than one RV going down the highway with the dish up. You would have to ask them how they fair after a days driving at 70 mph!
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:07 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

A lot may depend on how the base plate is installed.
Is it installed on a Rubber, fiberglass, etc. roof?
Was the option larger base plate used?

Winegard has said.
"If the customer is willing to be in the coach, the winds are not high enough to require stowing the unit."

I have put mine down when a Hurricane is in the area. No other times.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I drove over an hour with our Trav'ler up(mistakenly). Haven't had any problems since. Not that I want to test it again though.
HUGHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

It ALL depends on which way the dish is facing. My dish was facing "kinda" southwest when the winds hit 50-52 mph out of that direction with reported gusts to 60 (as I remember). The dish "flopped" over on it's back with the LNB arm pretty much straight sticking up. After the winds died down, I pushed the Power button to stow it, which it did just fine. I then re-deployed it and it found all three satellites without problem. That was 3 or 4 years ago. After the incident there appeared to be a slight amount of play in the dish, not enough to effect reception, but enough that under certain wind conditions, I can here a slight rumble or rocking noise as if the dish was rocking, ever so slightly. When I first noticed this I called Winegard and was told as long as it stowed and found the satellites all should be good. When I asked what wind conditions should I stow it at he recommended "anything above 38 to 40 MPH and I would stow it" When I told him I didn't see that anywhere in the manual, he, in a very nice, light-hearted manner said, "I'm just the Engineer, the marketing and sales people don't let me write the manual" Again, that happened 3-4 years ago and all has been fine as a full-timer. I do, however, stow the antenna when the winds pick-up to around 40 MPH. This is just what I do, based on my experiences.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:03 PM   #6

For myself, I always evaluate risk two ways. First, what are the odds that something will happen, and secondly, what will it cost if it does. Personally, I would get the satellite dish properly stowed so I didn't have to think about it anymore.
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:04 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I'd rather not find out how much is too much... I would be more worried about the turret to roof attachment than the antenna hardware. Wind direction would be a key factor along with the elevation angle. The farther south you are, the more the dish itself is angled back too. My personal rule of thumb is if I'm leaving the rig and I don't trust my awning to be out, I put the Travler down. After all, it is totally automatic and doesn't take long at all to re-deploy when I'm back.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:47 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Mine has been up in winds over 75mph (no, I wasn't driving at the time) and was actually blown off the sats. It stowed and re deployed just fine.

Still working 3 years later.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:28 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I've had mine up in gusts every bit of 60. Can't say the picture was worth much. Wanted to test it when it was new. Now I take it down in gusts to lower forties.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, roof