Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-15-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Winegard in-motion

Hello again, after such a good answer for my last question thought I would
try again. When we bought our motorhome it had a Winegard in-motion
satellite. It works really well going down the highway and when parked. The
only problem is we can't pick up CBS, NBC, ABC, or any local stations. We
have Directv. Model MV3500T. I am sure it is something the DH and I just
haven't done right. We seem to have a lot to learn and there seems to be a lot of good folks out there with the answers. And by the way, hello from Arkansas. Thanks again
Gloria002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hi Gloria,

With DirectTV, the normal digital channels like The Weather Channel, The History Channel, and etc. come from transponders on the satellite at latitude 101. The local TV channels like KKOB or KOAT in Albuquerque or the ABC, CBS, and NBC local channels in your area are usually on the satellite at latitude 119. Since most of the older small satellite receivers can only receive a single satellite at a time that is why you cannot receive the local stations.

Winegard makes a crank up receiver that can receive three satellites, which would be required for HDTV, but it can’t be used in motion. I think the newer in motion receivers have the ability to automatically switch (look at) between different satellites and this feature allows you to watch both HDTV and local stations if you have subscribed to them. There is normally a delay as you select the station that is on the different satellite to allow the dish time to acquire the other satellite.

From what I understand, DirectTV for RV use is the best choice since most all the channels are on one satellite compared to Dish Network which seems to be spread over three satellites and requires an antenna with multiple LNBs or the ability to do the switching automatically.

Perhaps someone who has actually worked as a station engineer can add or correct what I know. I never actually used my FCC First Class license.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:38 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTransistor View Post
Hi Gloria,

With DirectTV, the normal digital channels like The Weather Channel, The History Channel, and etc. come from transponders on the satellite at latitude 101. The local TV channels like KKOB or KOAT in Albuquerque or the ABC, CBS, and NBC local channels in your area are usually on the satellite at latitude 119. Since most of the older small satellite receivers can only receive a single satellite at a time that is why you cannot receive the local stations.

Winegard makes a crank up receiver that can receive three satellites, which would be required for HDTV, but it can’t be used in motion. I think the newer in motion receivers have the ability to automatically switch (look at) between different satellites and this feature allows you to watch both HDTV and local stations if you have subscribed to them. There is normally a delay as you select the station that is on the different satellite to allow the dish time to acquire the other satellite.

From what I understand, DirectTV for RV use is the best choice since most all the channels are on one satellite compared to Dish Network which seems to be spread over three satellites and requires an antenna with multiple LNBs or the ability to do the switching automatically.

Perhaps someone who has actually worked as a station engineer can add or correct what I know. I never actually used my FCC First Class license.
Still do & it sounds good to me..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:17 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Also if you are not near your home the local channels are what they call "spot beamed" meaning the signal for locals are only set to the region they are used. So the stations in the North East are only sent to the north east the stations in the south east same thing.

If you send them a copy of your RV registration and sign a waiver (can get the form online from them) saying you are only using them mobile they will provide the big 4 NBC, ABC, CBS & FOX from LA and NY or something similar. Problem is for us not being full timers they will not let you have your regular local on one receiver and the mobile on another. They might put your home receivers "on vacation" and give you mobile on another temporarily.

For us it wasn't worth the trouble. We just do without the locals and try the antenna. Too bad out yearly vacation spot in the Fl Keys we can't pick up a thing on the antenna
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

We do not subscribe to loaclas on DireTv. We have DNS and get ABC,CBS,NBC and Fox from the East/West feeds. Works better for us.
If you want local info. Use the over the air ANT. But with the messed up Digital over the air (Thanks to our GOVT.) you may not get all broadcast.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

You moved, that's what is wrong, You moved

DirecTV has a bunch of "Spotlight" type transmitters on those satellites.. One of them carries your local network stations and is shining on your house (Actually it shines a circle that is a few hundred miles across, but your house sits in it)

Imagine if you will a theater, on the stage are two (or more) actors, One is the star, he's singing his solo, standing in the spotlight.

The rest of 'em are off to one side or the other .... IN the dark

And.. that's where you are.. In the dark.

The solution (IF it is an RV account and not a house account) is to call DirecTV and ask for an RV-Waiver form... Fill it out, fax it in, pay a few dollars a month more and.. You get "Distant Network Service" from either LA on the west coast or NYC/Atlanta on the east. (or both)
Old 10-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

We have DNS on both house and RV one account. Depends on what is offered for the stick house. Locals or DNS. Also we do not have a land line PH conn.

Just cell PH's for everything.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for all your input. Nice to know you can come here and get some help.
gloria002
Gloria002 is offline   Reply With Quote