Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2006, 01:10 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

What do you heavy wind and rain veterans recommend for sitting out a storm. Slides in or out? Jacks down?

It would seem that the rain could infiltrate more with the slides out.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:10 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

What do you heavy wind and rain veterans recommend for sitting out a storm. Slides in or out? Jacks down?

It would seem that the rain could infiltrate more with the slides out.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

If you ask the manufacturers, most will recommend slides in when you are in very heavy rain/wind-blown rain. You are right that rain can more easily get past the seals when the slides are out. Another thing to consider with heavy wind is the slide topper awning. We don't worry about rain all that much, but have a few times pulled the slides in during extra heavy rain and/or wind ...like riding out winds on the fringe of a hurricane, which we have done! We ran about 250 miles and hunkered down in 45 mph winds for a couple of days.

Jacks down definitely will help with stability. Also, if you have the option, the recommended position is rear to the oncoming wind.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Good advice from Paul - slides in during a storm. Jacks up or down - I really don't know. I have tried to rationalize both situations (jacks up/down) and I can make a case for both. Not sure what I would do - maybe jacks up and air bags inflated and ready to flee?

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 05:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

If there is any HAIL you definitely want the <UL TYPE=SQUARE>slides
awnings[/list]in to minimized the damage
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We just went through T.S. Ernesto here in North Carolina last night. Had 10 inches of rain where we are. Had the slides in and no problem there. However, the wind did blow a vent cover off the vent fan in the bathroom. Had some water get on the carpet, but I quickly vacuumed it up and dried the carpet out with a hair dryer.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

AE slide topper manual instructs that if it is so windy that you need to close your awnings then close your slides too.

Jacks would depend on the ground under the coach and conditions. If it is muddy and wet then up. Dry solid ground or on pavement then down. If you might have to move out on a moments notice then it would depend on how fast your jacks retract and your personal assesment of the situation at the time etc.

Personally if it is going to get so bad that you should be in a shelter then I would be long gone however if not then I would set the parking brake as tight as it will go, slides in and jacks down with your back to the wind, propane off, genset/shore power off, stowe all loose items inside and out including shore power cord and sewer hose, bungee the cabinet doors/drawers closed and get in a shelter until things clear up. If the motorhome is toppled while you are in the shelter just be glad you were not in it to experience the event. If you don't have a shelter available then proceed to secure the motorehome as above and hunker down in the most secure area inside and still consider if you should be outside hiding up in the nearest bridge abuttment etc instead.

Regards,
Old 09-02-2006, 02:34 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Being "caught" in the occassional "nor'easter" or storm is one thing but if it gets as bad as Neil is describing I'm going to start the engine and drive out of harms way BEFORE it gets here...

Ernesto just came through here yesterday and the coach is secured with the slides in and such right beside the house...Other than watching the anenometer about spin off the roof of the coach from an upstairs window of the house, the coach fared fine in sustained winds of 10-20 and gusts of 55-60.

My neighbors two cars suffered the wrath of about a 12 inch limb coming down on two of his car roofs...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:45 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Of my 3 slides it's the 2 bedroom slides that tend to give me a problem, so one if not both come in. Front slide is usually ok.

Not sure if this is true but I thought I heard that (some) manufacturers don't "leak test" their slides in the extended position.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 04:08 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Russo:
Not sure if this is true but I thought I heard that (some) manufacturers don't "leak test" their slides in the extended position. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually I would think (MOST) manufacturerers DO NOT test with slides extended...

Been through Winnebago and can attest the slides are IN when tested...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 02:25 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
Being "caught" in the occassional "nor'easter" or storm is one thing but if it gets as bad as Neil is describing I'm going to start the engine and drive out of harms way BEFORE it gets here...

Ernesto just came through here yesterday and the coach is secured with the slides in and such right beside the house...Other than watching the anenometer about spin off the roof of the coach from an upstairs window of the house, the coach fared fine in sustained winds of 10-20 and gusts of 55-60.

My neighbors two cars suffered the wrath of about a 12 inch limb coming down on two of his car roofs... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob,

That is plan A - Be long gone before the storm hits. Glad to hear you escaped any serious harm from Ernesto. We happily dodged the bullet here in Tampa Bay also. Only got some minor lightening damage that seems like less then $100 will be all that is required to set things back in order.

My coach is in the shop at LazyDays again as they are still trying to fix the items from the PDI once and for all, so I don't know if they will return it to me with any storm damage or actually repaired. They have not been able to get the AC or electrical gremlins repaired once and for all yet. ABS on the F53 keeps failing after going over the chatter bumps on Rte 60 leaving Tampa also.

Stay well,
Old 09-03-2006, 08:43 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the responses. What does parking the rearend into the wind do? I would think you'd want the front end into the wind. Maybe to protect the windshield ???

An old friend of mine's dad, who was a airplane pilot, said you could tell which way to land by observing the cows/horses etc because most of them had their butts to the wind. (Max Conrad for you airplane types). Is this butt into the wind a hold over from the olden' days?
Old 09-03-2006, 09:01 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DonavonP:
Thanks for the responses. What does parking the rearend into the wind do? I would think you'd want the front end into the wind. Maybe to protect the windshield ???

An old friend of mine's dad, who was a airplane pilot, said you could tell which way to land by observing the cows/horses etc because most of them had their butts to the wind. (Max Conrad for you airplane types). Is this butt into the wind a hold over from the olden' days? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Donavon,

Two fold for those with front engine gas coaches it will keep the water and debris from the engine bay and lessen the chances of a cracked windshield or a hole in the radiator.

Regards,